Register now to get rid of these ads!

'36 Ford Three Window With No Top Insert?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drive Em, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Drive Em

Drive Em

I went to look at a 1936 three window coupe today that had some interesting features. First of all it had a completely steel roof with no sign that it ever had a top insert, tube shocks that looked factory, a speedometer that read in kilometers per hour, and Rocky Mountain brakes. Did some 1936 three windows have top inserts and others have a steel roof?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  2. Chris 50

Chris 50

Wasn't Chevy the first to stamp a roof without an insert? 1937?

3. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Sounds kinda south american or european

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I assume you are talking about a '36 Ford and, if so, all closed cars had insert roofs. The car you looked at was filled and if it looked stock, the person that did the work did a good job.

I'm stll going back & forth on wether to fill my roof or install an inset on my '36 Ford project.

5. Drive Em

Drive Em

Yes it was a Ford, and no, the top was not filled as there was no sign of a lip, weld filler or hammer marks anywhere. I am thinking the car was from Mexico or South America as well.

6. Maybe it was a car made for Mexico. They used the kilo speedo I think.

7. alchemy

alchemy

A magazine article from around 1970, maybe RnC, featured the trip of some rodders going to Mexico and bringing back a 34 coupe with a steel roof. They thought it was a Mexican thing too. Might be like yours.

8. never seen one , i have no idea.....but i prefer them with the insert anyway

9. I have a 3w that comes from Mexico and the roof is filled.From outside there´s no sign of it at all pretty well done job but from inside the lip for the insert is still intact.

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can we assume it is LHD because you didn't say different?

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Me too! :D

12. Drive Em

Drive Em

Yes, left hand drive. I also confirmed from a buddy of mine who imported the car that it is from Argentina. There is no sign of a roof insert lip on the underside of the roof.

13. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

watch the final shoot-out in the 1967 movie"Bonnie and Clyde"apparently Clyde had time between bank jobs to fill the roof on his 34 Ford four door!Wonder if it was someones old street rod they used for filming?

14. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

It been my understanding
    People that could pull it off or afford it did it … its not a late street rod thing.

15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Sounds interesting. Post some photos of the roof (outside and inside shots).

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, I agree :D
    ThisThreadIsWorthless%20(2).jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I have heard from several people that cars headed for assembly and sale in South America got filled roofs...no personal experience or evidence to confirm. This was done supposedly at Ford plants but was custom work, not a different stamping...I would expect to find inside evidence of lip cut away and a hand-done welded seam, not a machine weld as on standard body seams.
    If Argentine, there should be evidence of conversion from RHD done after its arrival here. Other S. American countries varied on that.
    KPH would have been right about everywhere except here and in Empire, and cars for Imperial parts of world would mostly have been of Canadian Ford origin.
    South American cars came from Ford USA (exports were mostly from New Jersey plant, actually) and would have had speedo and driver side based on the destination.
    My '48 Ford was built in NJ, with LHD and Metric speedo, and export toolkit based on its destination in China.

18. Not to be a smart ass,but I am the one who built the 34 for the movie,"Bonnie and Clyde"..It was just an old worn out 4 door that we installed a chev V-8 in for filming ,driving under its own power...was re-used in the second filming years later with Tracy Needham..I just taped oved the old bullet holes and repainted..in second filming they stopped the cameras and removed the tape so as to think new bullet holes...

19. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I want to say this has been discussed on here before. If I remember correctly, it was about a 33-34 tudor that had come from south of the border. I believe it was determined to have been done after the fact because it was less hassle to fill the roof once, than keep replacing the material in the soft top insert.
    Then again, I may be way off on this one.........

here's the thread I was thinking about.
    Seems like a lively debate!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274939

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  20. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

when I built my 33 5 window I left the insert for one reason. Also left the exposed hinges. When somebody asks me if its a glass car I say ever see a glass car with an insert in the top. nuff said.

21. Fenders

Fenders

?? Who gives a shit what other people think? Fill it if you want.

22. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd suggest asking your question over on the Ford Barn. Lots of guys over there that are really into the history of Fords.

23. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

And they, too, depend on Bruce for insight.

24. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Sorry, brief hijack:

Did you work on any other cars for that movie, such as the Model A-based armored car? And was that sweet '33 Hupmobile Victoria that got shot up saved, or junked? Same question with the blue '32 Nash that was wrecked in the same scene?

I'm sure the imcdb.org page for the movie would benefit from your inside info!
    http://www.imcdb.org/movie_61418-Bonnie-and-Clyde.html

25. Sorry,the 34 is the only one of the cars in the movie I did work on,,I did not hang around the set after I delivered the car on location..so dont know about the others.

26. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The car was a hot rod with a 283 SBC hooked up to the original drivetrain.
    The radio in the dash was a 56 Ford I seem to think.
    Used to in a Wax Museum outside Ft. Worth.

27. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Argentine Fords and other cars were sold with RHD until 1939-40. Then the country changed from RHD to LHD driving.
    Ford closed cars did not have one piece stamped tops until 1937. Any filled top is a modification.