Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shipping Wars........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Waddayacare, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Would you trust taking "bids" on transporting a vehicle?

Or do you think that this could fall under that "you get what you pay for" category?

2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I had an OT truck shipped to me via U-ship (the online service the Shipping Wars show is based on). It went fine, without a problem.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  3. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

well, they vehicles i have had shipped were projects,,,,so personally i stay away from the brokers on Uship...much better IN MY OPINION when you can use an individual,

...ive used Uship twice to ship cars, the first time a couple years ago was smooth as silk, used Uship again back in august. had a slight mis-understanding, but the price was super cheap and it did get here within my time window i setup...

they have a feedback rating system just like ebay so that helps too....(i belive they are owned by ebay)

results may varrie as its just like buying parts or cars on the internet,good sellers and bad sellers same with shippers,good shippers & bad shippers.

4. Sounds like Voodoo had good luck but with shippers I think it is a crap shoot. A high priced shipper may take more care or they may just charge more.

I don't know if the HAMB has any car haulers on your coast but I have had good luck with a couple of them over the years. They are real likely going to take that little extra bit on a HAMBers car.

5. maniac

maniac

U-ship is NOT owned by ebay, it is owned by ABF freight systems

6. Kirk Wilmes

Kirk Wilmes
    from Altus, OK

I have used Passport Transport for all of our shipping. The drivers have been awesome to date (had about 10 different ones in the last two years). They actually gave some knowledge about cars and know how to handle them. I did have a Kaiser get a pretty nasty scratch/gouge on the roof about 6 months ago and they took care of it great. Been a little slow on the office side of things sometimes but they still get a 9.5 out of 10 overall. Plus they have a huge ins. plan that will take care of any incidents.

We have shipped close to 80 cars over the last two years with them and only had the major issue.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

7. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

I hate the U-ship continous emails, phone calls etc after the vehicle is shipped and you go back into you account to delete it.

8. 35desoto

35desoto

i asked for quotes to move a pallet containing a gearbox on Uship earlier this year. I accepted the higher bid and then the fun started. All of a sudden there was this requirement and that requirement and an open credit card account. WHOA said this guy here. Dont mind understanding their operational requirements but noway are they getting my creifdit card on an open basis. Quote me - do the job - get paid - simple. However with me here in NZ giving someone I will never ever meet an open account half a world away - no way!!! On the other hand there are a couple of guys here on the HAMB that have my trust and I would accept their judgement all day long.

9. nickleone

nickleone

10. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

Man, have I got some stories. Uship is only as good as the guy that shows up (or not) to get the stuff, it's a huge crapshoot.

If you can, wait for the alliance guys on here who do this for a living. Well worth the wait.

11. Transport Options on the HAMB

Do a keyword search using ' transport - then ' haul '

Someone might be going your way

Check the SOCIAL RELAY GOUP @ http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=214

Someone might be going your way

I just dropped this original 1923 Model T Center Door at
    The Model T Ford Museum in Richmond, IN last week ...

[​IMG]

Before picking that up, I hauled this 1970 Transam Drag Car
    from Sonoma, CA to Upstate New York ...

[​IMG]

Before that, I hauled this 1967 Mustang Fastback from
    Chicago, IL to the Port of Long Beach, CA ...

[​IMG]

12. Cirilian

Cirilian

I've had some very good experiences using uship. Just take a good look at people's feedback and steer clear of the brokers. These people have no problem lying to you about pick up and delivery times while they try to pimp out your shipment to an actual transporter. Usually when you hear horror stories about uship there was a broker involved.

13. Paul B

Paul B

Just had a car delivered posted it on uship no problems got here right on time

14. 23reotim

23reotim
    from arizona

funny this post just came up. my dad bought a 1950 ford at the beginning of november and used uship to transport it. it is now the end of december still no truck, will not give dad any sort of real answer. no contact on their end at all. will not respond to emails and only gives him the run around over the phone. has used every excuse in the book. then picked up wrong truck and dumped it in texas when they found out, and we are still not any closer to getting his truck. i would avoid uship at all costs.

15. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Hell -one of the shippers on here (& on another car site & a chopper site)was such a fucken prick when i emailed him about shipping my daughter's car here-
    he might as well been on that stupid show!:mad:

16. fuzzface

fuzzface

i've used them quite a bit. I can't even fire up my own truck for what some of them charge especially if you are buying or shipping something on a pallet.. Just like ebay, you need to do your homework, the cheapest quote might not be the best deal, check out their feedback. i also stay away from the brokers. If you buy an item on ebay, don't admit to it when they ask when you do your listing.

i looked into doing it but there are so many, they cut each others throat to get the load to where it isn't profitable anymore unless you do multiple items at once. Too many guys with trucks, vans and trailers doing it. I can understand why my one uncle doesn't have any money because that is what he is doing. Now the guys with the big rigs that can haul bigger loads or specialty items, still make a decent buck but they have less competition. The

17. I doubt that it can still be done this way but once I had to leave my bike in a texas border town to make a trip into mexico. I ended up leaving mexico near mexicali. A friend picked me up and I was going to bus back over to texas and he said we should make a trip by the local load broaker. A guy was bringing a light load back from the area where my bike was and swung by and picked it up. Cost me just a little more than bus fare.

18. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I have used U-Ship a couple of times without any problems. I have also used independents that I have found on the Yesterday's Tractors hauling schedule. For engines, I use Engineshipping.com. Used them a couple times this last month.

19. butti

butti

The shipment of my car was filmed for the shipping wars show but they have not used the footage yet. i dont think there was enough drama.. Roy hauled it and yes,he is a dick in real life too.

I wish i had avoided the whole thing but it sounded like fun when the producers contacted me. In the end it just cost more money and delayed the shipment for weeks.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Did you get a better rate since it was filmed for the show? Clock is ticking on this thread I'm sure. Bob :)

21. This thread has nothing to do with a damn TV show but has everything to do with saving a buck!

Taking bids on shipping a large item sounded like a good idea.

Now if it wasn't for this thread I as well as many others wouldn't have known about a site dedicated to shipping engines. Thanks to "TR Waters" for posting that.

22. ems customer service

ems customer service

we ship a lot of truck frieght

used abf once they &*$%^ me and would not abide by there written qoute, was a real mess, i won but it was not easy. abf will find away to scam the deal somehow.

with abf if there lips are moving they are lying, consider them a less than honest company.

i use a broker for all ltl and another for dedicated flats with independent truckers.

the ems guy

23. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I would not use U Ship. I prefer to use a known vendor or would rather use a Hamb vendor if they could accomodate me

24. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

I signed up on there and bid several jobs and got some on there, its a pretty good deal for the person having something shipped but for the person doing the bidding it sucks! It is really hard to bid a load and make any money on there, you can get stuff shipped really cheap, I really had a blast hauling cars but my truck burnt to the ground so that put me out of business in an instant and I cannot afford another truck so that was that. I had just figured out how to make money at it I think but didnt get the chance to try..that is one of those things I really wish I could try again, I think I could make a go of it if I could do it again, and I know how to handle specialty cars like we all have so I think I could have built a name for myself but thats the way things go in life I guess...Anyways I would definatly use them to ship anything I needed moved. Jim

25. RPM

RPM

We have used Uship a bunch of times, from hauling engines, frame and complete cars. Never had a problem and the price is very reasonable too.

26. pontiac

pontiac

I have used u-ship 3 times with no issues. They have a rating and feedback system and I always looked at that before I accepted any offers.

27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I know a fellow who uses a US exporter for his cars to Oz. Tenders are called and bids placed to obtain the job. So far all the tenders have been excellent with no issues whatsoever. If there are any problems that business is no longer considered in tendering process. The cheapest tender is not necessarily the best and sometimes overlooked for a more reputable business used previously.

28. Use one of the Hamb haulers,You can ask them questions and can read their comments,,,you will defiantly get what you pay for and won't be starting a thread in the near future about how you got screwed by some Jack leg hauler!

Having used BenD & racinman I can assure you they are there for you from start to finish,,but there are other Hamb haulers that have great reputations also.HRP

29. maniac

maniac

Thats why you get what you pay for on there

30. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

Uship is the biggest joke on the internet... everyone is bidding down to get your business... I had a guy that thought he was doing a service from the Uslip site to haul a car on a wooden bed trailer and a beat up pickup, Beg me to take the haul in the middle of the country... he was getting ready to unload the guys car in Amarillo TX at a truck stop and leave it there.
    He stated to me he realized after coming half the distance he was going in the hole & not making any money to deliver the car. I could not help him I was picking up a car in Amarillo and would be loaded. I told him to man up and do the job... if you quoted it... Deliver it. I had to learn what to do when quoting... I had to drive off and wondering about the customer...
    Good Luck is all I can say if you use this system. I work on a per mile base and discount the HAMB Alliance guys. I have seen some strange sites all over the country... cars tied down with straps over the fenders and trunk...etc, and just cringe when I think of what the customer is going to do once it arrives... Good Luck with the bidding! Just remember you get what you pay for...