Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP! R&R window regulator 49/52 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cosmic12, Nov 8, 2012.

1. cosmic12

cosmic12

How the hell do I get the rear quarter window regulator out of my 52 Deluxe coupe? I have tried and tried, it won't come out the front, rear, or top. Did they build them in the car? Anyone ever run into this before?

2. 5559

from tn

there is usually only 1 way it comes out -you have to get it just right-take it loose from the body and roll it to the 'up' position and try - then 1/2 up position -then full down---it will come out at one of these positions or it will be close and you can tell which way to go.Take care when your at the fully up or down positions-some regulators can go pass the last tooth on the gear and they will snap( spring loaded ).I've seen fingers cut to the bone and been told of them being snapped off. i hope this helps and BE CAREFUL

3. cosmic12

cosmic12

I have been moveing it up/down 1/4" at a time moved it every which way I can but no luck at all. I have done 100s of these dam things in just about everything and have never seen this before. And ya you can get yerself in trouble in a big hurry if not caeful

4. it comes out the bottom.

5. Exactly... they are a pain!

6. As I remember, on my 50 Pontiac fastback, the mechanism came out through the bottom openings. I'll go get the mechanism and try putting it back in and see what I find.

7. just pulled the rear window mech off the shelf and put it in and took it out - through the top triangle shaped opening. Don't know if yours is different or not but it only took a minute or so.

Attached Files:

8. gwr1800

gwr1800

On my 49 sedan they came out the hole the regulator was mounted in. You had to remove the glass channel from the bottom of the window (4 screws) and remove the small piece of track on the inside panel behind the regulator. Don't know if the 52 is the same. on the 49 it cannot come out the bottom as the window sits in a closed pocket with a drain near the door.