Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shipping parts to Switzerland...Idea's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BIG-JIM, Dec 18, 2012.

1. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I'm selling a part on FEEBAY (30's Chevy truck grille) and they want a mint to ship it. First I went with FEDEX international and they wanted $660! So then I tried DHL and they came back with $651. Is there a cheaper way to get things to Switzerland?

2. You may try USPS.

Not to bust your chops by any means but something for everyone to think about before they offer a part for sale that may get sold internationaly is to find out what it is going to cost to ship in internationaly. It may be something that you want to only sell in the continental united states.

3. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Thanks man I will give it a shot. The guy bid on it before even asking what it cost to ship. If he wants to cancel his bid I will gladly do it for him. You never know he may have deep pockets.;)

4. fmascioli2@gmail.com

[email protected]
    from CT

I agree with Porknbeaner. Try USPS. They have international flat rate shipping for small stuff using their flat rate boxes. I went thru the same thing as you with FedEx, etc. Not sure how big the stuff is you need to send, but you'll find USPS shipping charges more than reasonable...and fast.

5. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

It's a truck grille. 25" wide 38" long and about 12" deep it's about 30 pounds so yeah it pretty big.

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thats big,but i think the USPS will be cheapest way to ship it.

7. I shipped some carbs and intake a couple of years back USPS to Sweden. The box was heavy but not real large. That said I have seen this time of year people shipping huge boxes to places like Figi, Somoa etc. granted they are property of the US but package size is still pakcage size.

There are things that USPS will not ship tires for one, but if the box fits into their guidlines you should not have a problem with the grill.

8. roundvalley

roundvalley

Go to postcalc.usps.gov

Looks like your box is to large for the Post Office to Switzerland.

I have shipped a tire in the past.

9. swissmike

swissmike

If its the dimension which makes it expensive, rather than the weight, cutting it in half might be an option if its something like a grill shell or dash which can easily be welded back together.
    I shipped tires and USPS was cheapest way to ship.

10. 117harv

117harv

I shipped a 30 Chevy car grille to Oz land a couple years ago through the post office, $91.00.

11. Last tires I shipped were to Canada and the post office said that they could not ship tires. Maybe the locals just didn't want to deal with them.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

https://www.usps.com/ship/prepare-international-shipments.htm

Max length + girth can't be more than 108 inches. Your measurements add up to 112" Max weight is 70 lbs so you don't have an issue there.

The above link should show or have the spot to click on for length, height and width.

Any brackets or other pieces that could be removed to reduce the size a bit like maybe the bracket that might be riveted on the bottom?

13. RawDeal

RawDeal
    from Austria

I always use USPS and I'm in the neighbour country of switzerland. usps website has a calculator, you can enter dimensions and weight and they give you a shipping quote immedeately

14. chaddilac

chaddilac

Post office... I shipped a 36 ford truck grill to Japan... it ain't cheap though, but it's the cheapest!!

15. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I don't know if they'll do it cheaper but I used the local franchise to ship a crate for work and it was reasonable and easy. I crated the item but they took care of the rest.

http://www.pakmail.com/

16. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I sent an old stereo to Brazil through USPS and it was definitely the cheapest.
    Each country has size and weight limitations,
    but a grill shell shouldn't be too large or heavy.
    TP

17. ^^ That,s it, ^^ remove all scrap and unwanted weight. Keep the package tight. 4 inch difference should,nt be a problem. Don,t go to one of those places that packs for you. Just use old fashoined USPS.

18. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

& if you use USPS, which btw, I prefer if at all possible, always insure it properly. USPS will spend $10,000 to find a lost $1.00 item, & will pay out. UPS *might* spend $1.00 to find a lost $10,000 item, & won't pay out.

Marcus...

19. Shipping cost is borne by the buyer. I live about 15 miles from the US border but there are PLENTY of guys who won't ship to me because it is "too expensive" or whatever. If I'm willing to pay for shipping and deal with the hassle of the border then the seller should box the part and ship it. "will not ship outside the lower 48" are some of the most frustrating words to hear when we are hunting for parts.

20. I have never had a problem shipping to Canada, or Europe either for that matter. If someone won't ship to you have them ship to me and I'll ship it to ya.

21. Maria

Maria

There might be a shipping company from Switzerland which has a office in the US. And they might have containers moving over seas every week. We have a contact in CA and FL and they ship containers twice a week to Finland. It sometimes takes few months if it's rush time, but it's much cheaper.

22. barobert

barobert
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

greyhound?

Godspeed
    MrC.

24. That would be one long bus trip . :eek:

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beaner...that may be the case. I'm getting ready to ship 5 wheels with mounted tires out of state through USPS right now. They said no problem. No box, just a sticker. You should've seen the nice lady trying to wrestle one around to weigh it. An Australian Hamber that bought some of my junk said that some countries including Australia don't allow tires to be shipped to them though.

26. nickleone

nickleone

The grill is too big for the PO. I just checked on my shipping system.

Nick

27. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Thanks guy's for all the replies. I think I'm dealing with a deadbeat bidder. I checked his feedback and it seems he bought another grille a while back. So I contacted that seller to see how he shipped it and what the cost was. This was his reply:

"Hey Jim, No Worries, This dude bid a buy it now on my '34 Chevy Grille Assy. Then, he attempted to barter the shipping...USPS was $405 and DHL, (who he insisted on using), wanted $600. I agreed to sell for 800, then he said he WOULD PAY 1000 for all. So I contacted eBay and cancelled the transaction. It was a real pain in the ass, and my experience with this dude is that HE IS A REAL PAIN IN THE ASS. Cost me time and I had to re-list. He is a BONE-HEAD (at least wit me, he was). You have my expressed permission to forward him THIS message. Maybe he will wake up, who knows, but I have blocked him out of my auctions. Best Regards, Chuck"

So it came as no surprise that I got an email from him today.

"
    hello,
    sorry but I have maximum 1000$ with shipping. I can't put more.
    Best regards
    Da Costa"

So he probably bid all the way up to $1000 thinking that the shipping ($660) would be free...LOL Gotta love people.

28. Jim, I hope that your hassles with that deadbeat bidder doesn't sour your interest in us poor buggars in faraway lands...lol..........I have been getting various bits for both my 1940 Dodge & 1941 Plymouth as well as model kits for my shop and USPS is by far the best to get stuff thru, may not be quite as quick as Fed Ex, UPS or DHL but most of us foreigners have learnt to wait.........lol..........anyway I trust your dealings with overseas bidders get better.......lol.........regards, Andy Douglas

29. slammed

slammed

The buyer knew going in what was likely the shipping fees. Cut your losses. LOWER 48 STATES ONLY! And still they bid. Happens to me too.

30. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Sorry, but I just HATE sellers with that disclaimer. I have lived in the US and shipped cars over and posted parts to Europe. I know how it goes and what it costs.

And then, when I finally find a long-lost part on ebay, the seller puts that f*ing disclaimer there. I would pay the postage (as I always do when I buy parts here on HAMB) straight and quick via Paypal. All the seller needs to do is to get that piece of iron shipped.

And for your information. We need to pay customs of the full price, including purchasing price and shipping costs.

So. Please, at least on HAMB, keep selling parts for us overseas hotrodders as well.