Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The History Of Los Angeles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2010.

1. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Neutral corners, guys. This is a great thread for SoCal people, past and present. Let's not get it closed because of a couple of people who disagree on a date. It's an interesting photo, no matter when it was shot.

2. I agree........... never meant it to be an arguement just wanted to add info that I knew for those that didn't... lots of people here from distant areas that should know things as correctly as possible.... that is all I tried to do.

3. Growing up in LA, I can relate to a lot of the pictures in this thread. Keepem coming...

4. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Nice shot of the Pomona track, but may be a couple of years later ... looks like a '61 Plymouth wagon in the left edge of the photo.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That's to easy of a way out. Remember, the tread title is "The History of Los Angeles". Your submits/pics are spot on to the thread, just leave the dates out. Easy peasy, see.

6. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Information included with many of the photos that we find in the various photo archives is often sketchy: incomplete, inaccurate or non-existent. Case-in-point: I was looking through the Los Angeles Public Library archives and came across a photo of an old (1890's era) building. The description stated that the photo had been made in the early 1920's. Parked at the curb in front of the building was a 1956 Chevy Belair......

7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen, brother.

You are not allowed to quit this thread Ed! You are one of the major contributors to what has been a very enjoyable thread. You belong here, let's let the other guy split. Armchair quarterbacking doesn't take much effort and certainly does not add anything of substance to the thread.

8. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Man that location looks an awful lot like Bob's Beef Burger at Second and Huntington in Arcadia.

9. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Ford? What's a Ford? I saw quite a few 49 or 50 Chevys:D

11. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Ed.

You are the anchor here. Do not just give us a shot of Rolands's digger and leave. Please.... grovel.... beg....???

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  12. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Eastland Mall...It's still there!

13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I was going to say the very same thing!!!!!!
    Maz-Man I have no idea where you come up with these pix????
    They look like yearbook shots... Yes, That location is Bob's Beef Burger.
    I notice that the San Gabriel address is on there as well.
    It was right next to Hughes Paints across from San Gabriel Nursery.

Bob's Beef Burger was the true Original In-N-Out Burger.
    Bob was a partner to Harry Snyder who really just sold produce to
    Bob's. For some reason In-N-Out has omitted the relationship of their
    partnership and The Snyders just take the credit.

I remember seeing an In-N-Out at the I-10=San Berdo Fwy and Valley BL as well, Not sure what # it was. something like #7 in the chain? It's now an Art's Burgers stand and seems pretty busy with the import crowd,especially being situated directly across the street from a Tommy's Burger Joint.

In-N-Out really started to grow after they lost thier dragstrip in 1977 which they were partnered in for the concessions. How many remember Double-Doubles at the strip????? They must have got a lot of money from Miller Brewing for the lease on that land because rapid expansion took place even till now as they break into states like Texas, DFW area.

I think that this is a great shot, I remember that location across from the Lincoln Mercury dealer next the the Derby restaurant which had a side street that the city of Arcadia took out in order to put the Embassy Suites and now defunct Velvet Turtle in. I think it's called Capistano's now.

My late brother Gary turned me on to Bob's Beef Burger, My Dad onto In-N-Out and I noticed that they were one in the same. I think Bob's had to change the sauce though at some later date?????

Thanks for adding this to my burger history file.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  14. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

I did this in the mid-late eighties but mine was modified to say "Burn N Out" had it on my '64 Dodge 330 2-door sedan 383 4-speed. Also the little sign in the corner of the decal read "Quality you can smell" modified from "Quality you can taste"

15. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Griffith Observatory was one of my favorite locations to take a girl on "first date" back in the eighties.

16. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

Does the Griffith Observatory still exist? it fascinated me in Rebel Without A Cause,great looking place,,,

17. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Yes,
    It's an incredible place! Very kool if ya like stargazing. It has a bust of James Dean on the right side of the building, Many people stick a cigarette in his mouth to give him that JD look. If you're in town, ya gotta ck it out, you'll dig it.

18. Not just the eighties, '50s and '60s as well. ;)

19. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Wasn't this the house used in the movie "Body Double"?

20. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

Thanks Kevin ,,i'm probably more of a daydreamer than a stargazer ,,dreaming of getting to the U.S one day maybe,glad to here its still there and its appreciated,a lot of old places didnt make it ,,,regards Rod,,

21. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Took my 12 and 9 year old to see the Queen Mary last spring - I was probably about 9 when I went the first time.

22. griffith is still A-mazing on a clear night. we stop at Don Felix for peruvian food at the bottom of the hill, then we drive up, get a cup of coffee and just gaze out over los angeles.

23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Yes, It's named the Chemosphere, Designed by architect John Lautner in about 1959-61. Very kool scenes in that movie, but a strange plot.

24. Made a stop by the holygrail land as far as Customs go...to me at least.Such a shame that the city of Los Angeles and all the people in the area with money didn't give a shit about this place.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

25. John T Conover

John T Conover
    from US

from here

Attached Files:

26. Very cool pic ^^^

27. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

I served Community Service here in the eighties (won't divulge what for) What a great place, my kids love it there too.

28. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Why is this guy barefoot I wonder?

29. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Great movie...

30. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Ooooops...