Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New 1940 Willys project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod--willys, Sep 4, 2012.

1. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Thank you for the web site. I did order a new tail pan, It looks great and fits perfect.

2. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

I have now installed the inter seams and have done a temp. fit. Looks good. Now for some sand and fill primer. New tail section fits perfect. I will glue this tail panel in.:D

Attached Files:

3. Weasel

Weasel

Looking good hotrod-willys. Lee Kay's stuff is the best - he was at my place going over a '40 coupe yesterday and I hope that he will soon be doing a thread here on the Hamb on refurbishing the body....

www.kayskustommetalworks.com

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  4. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

At some point some one wanted the nice rear fenders off this car. So the bolted on these. The fenders are sound but the bottoms are gone. So I will make a new bottom, and we will have a nice right rear fender.:)

Attached Files:

5. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Mine would sit just like this one .... all stock body and trim - ready to kill on the inside

Attached Files:

6. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

OK. This is the right rear fender with new lower section replaced. It's in sand and fill primer. next project FIRE WALL:eek:

Attached Files:

7. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

That is how we want this car to sit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And thanks Weasel..

8. Savechirco

Savechirco

I didn't even know that these still existed!! I love to see em fixed up,! But this will be hard to watch..

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Rear wheels came to the shop today.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

10. hotrod --willys
    You are doing really nice work Keep posting

11. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Sorry guys, I'm a little under the weather. I will have to put things on hold for a little time. I HOPE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(:(:(:(:(

12. Weasel

Weasel

Take your time and get well hotrod--willys. Enjoying your build threads during your down time. Hope you will be up on your feet and building again soon....

13. Ya like how this sits?

Attached Files:

14. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Oh yeah
    Right at the top of my best car ever list

15. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Well I'm back out in the shop doing the things I love to do. Last post I was ready to start on moving the fire wall back 2 inches. I filled all the holes. every thing seems to fit OK. I will panel bond the fire wall to the cowl. I will do small spot welds in the drilled holes. should work out just fine.;)

Attached Files:

16. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

That's what I was thinking too!

17. russthetinman

russthetinman
    from KC MO

My son is working on a 40 willys and there is nothing on the frame to mount the center nose section. What mounts this part to the frame? Great job on the willys by the way!

18. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

The stock center sits on right on the frame and bolts to it.
    WC 002 (800x600).jpg

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Great looking car! Have fun, and forget about the purists who want it stock! Let 'em get their own Willys! ;)

20. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

Hotrod willys i see this project has an original steering wheel and horn button. Ive been looking for a few years for one to put in my coupe. I'd love to buy it if its not gonna be used.

21. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

BTW the car looks awesome!!!!!!! Always love to see someone working on a Willys. Thats a damn nice car to start with. Keep posting pics great work

22. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

My friend wanted to use the original steering wheel with a modern column. The steering wheel was in bad shape. So I cut down all the crackes and filled them with JB weld. It works great on old steering wheels. I then formed a new bottom to the wheel to match the column. I also built the column drop shown here..... The spline on the modern column didn't fit the steering wheel. So I installed a new spline in the wheel and made provisions for the horn wire. Just one more small step....:D

Attached Files:

23. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

that wheel is just bad ass. thats what i want to do. you did a great job. keep the pics coming.

24. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i think think this is the only way to build a willys! if your going to leave it stock you mite as well stay home and cut the grass.

25. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Just a few pics on the Willys project. I set the fire wall back 2". I wanted to get the stock trans cover and kick boards fit befor the body came off the frame. Also the brake pedal and gas pedal are mounted. The steering is set, using the stock Willys steering box. I made a Delrin seal for the top of the box with an O ring. The wiring panel is set to go. It will work nicely in this compartment.

The air struts are mounted and seem to work fine. a little stiff right now. Hope they calm down. The transmission mount is done. Fenders and hood fit good at this time. Will refit when body comes back on the frame.

Next step is the tire size:confused: So I can set the wheels inside the rear fenders and get my 9" ford rear end width.

Main thing is, having fun working on a project.:D

Attached Files:

26. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Thanks to the Weasel I got the mesurments for the De Luxe trim. Ready to drill holes. The struts are strong as hell. Don't know if they will work:(

Attached Files:

27. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Here are some pic's of the radiator bracket and the fans mocked up. The new springs are set up with a 1" more arch. The daul fans fit perfect. We didn't want a cross flow radiator. This one will work great. Over flow tank fitted.:)

Attached Files:

28. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

I like the looks of the passenger side fender well with the 6' louvers. I think it would work out to have the same 6" louvers on the drivers side wheel well. So is all I need to do is made a simple punch and die for the 6" louvers. I will use 18ga similer to the stock Willys steel. This is my simple punch and die showing my first test. Looks good. So I have punched all the louvers in the sheet metal and will weld this into the drivers side fender well. I will post that later.:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  29. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Great work so far ... dig these cars.

P

30. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

Willys, I like the sleeper outside and the mega-bling underhood.

Kinda like the unsuspecting kind that opened the trunk to Otto's Malibu.

Attached Files: