Register now to get rid of these ads!

dual carbs on my 235? should i do it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by livinlow, Sep 4, 2012.

1. 07travis

07travis

It's a no-brainer! DO IT!

2. visor

visor
    Member Emeritus
    from Missouri

3. carbking

carbking

4. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

My take for what it is worth.*

I've had 2 motors with dual carbs. 1 of them started with one carb and was bone stock and not rebuilt. I never could get the Rochesters to work. Got a pair of NOS, matched Carter WA-1's. Straight out of the original box and on to the engine they ran perfect on a repop Fenton intake.*

Pulled that motor and dropped in a fresh rebuild. '58 block, '56 848 head, head decked .010, bored .060 over, Howard 3/4 cam, all new internals, balanced, Mini HEI from Langdons, hot coil, Patricks repop Fenton intake, Carter WA-1's, Fenton cast iron headers with 1 3/4 straight full length pipes.*

Stock trans and rearend in my 53 Chevy car. It pulled like a mule and would run 80mph comfortably. Topped out at a little over 90mph.*

I don't know the HP but my best calculation is 160 to 170 HP.*

It ran awesome. Still does. I'm using it in my roadster with a homemade manifold with 2 zenith side drafts or possibly 3 SU's. (haven't decided yet)

I love dual carbs. Most of the time triple carbs will hurt the performance on a mildly souped engine. You can expect in the range of a 10 to 15 HP gain (depending on your tuning skills) from a dual carb setup. Tripple carbs might give you an extra HP or 2 but most of the time not much more of an increase than duals.*

I say run them

Farmer likes this.
  5. Do it.

I kind of regret not running duals and opting for the Holley/Weber 2v. Runs well but doesn't have the look.

6. livinlow

livinlow

Right on man I keep hearing about Patricks. What is it? Can someone send me a link?

7. livinlow

livinlow

And also this car is a daily driver, so everyday drivability is huge for me. Thats what it's gonna boil down to to make my descision on the duals or a single.

8. 6inarow

6inarow

520-836-1117. Casa Grande, AZ. If a nice lady answers dont be fooled. She has forgotten more about 235's than most members of this forum have ever known. Tell her Tom said hello

9. chevelle bob

chevelle bob
    from Linton

I have dealt with Patricks a couple times and even got a box from them tonite. Excellent people and service. I have to s of questions and they have helped me with everything I needed. Give them a call.

10. OL-54

OL-54

Go with the Langdon's two Carter/Weber 32/34's. Langdon jets them, so they are ready to go out of the box. Like Patrick, he is a super guy to deal with. The spun are cleaners are very nice as well. The Rochesters leak, are a pain to tune (for some of us!).
    Chev 235, .040 on block, .040 on the head, hard seats, 260 cam from Patrick, plus his jet hot coated Fenton intake and exhaust, Langdon's mini HEI, and his carbs.
    With set up, 700r4, 8.8 Ford 3.73, ~19mpg @ 65-70mph.

11. livinlow

livinlow

thats the set up i've been looking at, cool to get some confirmation. thanks dude

12. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

I just put two Rochester b on my 235 ,it idles great and doesn't leak a drop.the initial accel has a hesitation ,it does have more power.im sure I'll work it out.if you know how carbs work you can tune them .if your just trying to bolt on stuff then your better off goin to somebody who makes a kit like mentioned above.depends on your skill set.

13. RawDeal

RawDeal
    from Austria

I just ordered a fenton intake and the langdon's carb setup, now my question is, does it make sense to run the dual intake on the stock exhaust (for a while)?

I know the engine has to inhale and exhale to breath well :cool: but I'd like to bolt on the intake asap while the split exhaust has to wait, till I have time and money to redo my exhaust.

So...any thoughts will be welcome!
    Thanx :)

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  14. hotrodscott2003

hotrodscott2003

RawDeal...I suggest doing it all at once. No sense tearing it down now, to have to tear it down again...gaskets have to be replaced for BOTH the intake manifold and the exhaust when doing this. Besides, it's been my experience that your chances of the stock exhaust manifold and/or the stock intake manifold being warped and needing machine work is VERY good (and I do realize you are replacing the intake, my point is the original stuff is USUALLY warped).

Also, when you say 'split exhaust', are you referring to splitting the stock manifold, or are you planning on running headers? Headers would definitely work better...better breathing, better performance!

15. RawDeal

RawDeal
    from Austria

thank you for your input, I mean fenton headers, but I have to rework my complete exhaust system with the new headers.

16. JVK54

JVK54

Guess I'm not alone with the hesitation and leak issues with my Rochester (that was just rebuilt BTW)..I'm gonna have to pull my 235 and rebuild it as well as do a traditional hop-up including the dual carb set up this winter if I'm gonna keep it. The most difficult part of which is a buddy of mine has offered me a 350/350 set up for free . I hooked up 70" lakes to my dual exhaust(so I have the option of disturbing the peace or capping them and taking a nice well mannered cruise with the family) yesterday and thought it might sound crappy BUT, I as it turns out it's pretty freakin' awesome and that will make the 235 even harder to part with.

17. jetmech69

jetmech69

Ok, i have an original fenton intake. I would like to run matched carter wa-1's. not knowing the spacing on the carbs will they bolt right on to the fenton? Can anyone recommend a place to get the matched carters. I am having no luck and what could i expect to pay for an overhauled set?

18. Normbc9

Normbc9

Why not just go ahead and do it? But remember what goes in must come out. So give some thought to either splitting the exhaust manifold or going to a set of headers too. All it can do is go faster. There are several combinations and we'd be glad to be a resource for you. This site has a lot of good qualified technical talents who are here almost every day. Good luck!
    Normbc9

Attached Files: