Register now to get rid of these ads!

Metal shaping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31-5window, Dec 15, 2012.

1. 31-5window

31-5window
    from Michigan

Need some help, making some panels for my trunk got my peace all cut out, bent,fitted. Thought I would put some beads in it. picked up a bead roller from HF put three lines in it and it warped it up. Something I am doin wrong here?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Have to stretch those areas first.

3. mushmouth

mushmouth
    from Minnesota

Did you roll the bead with full pressure in one shot? Or did you roll it in steps? Gradually pressing the bead in.

4. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

you need to pre-stretch the areas of sheetmetal before you bead roll. This will eliminate the distortion.

5. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

How do you prestretch the metal, I am getting ready to purchase a Bead Roller myself. Thanks

6. saucerhead

saucerhead

You can pre stretch with a english wheel by rolling on the line you're going to roll the beads.

7. 31-5window

31-5window
    from Michigan

I did not pre stretch. I am new with bead roller. How do you pre stretch?

I didn't apply full press started light did 4-5 passes.

8. Erickson

Erickson

like stated before you have to pre stretch the section that you are going to roll a bead in. I prefer to run the piece im woking on through a english wheel or a planishing hammer along the line that I am going to put the bead on. if you dont have acsess to these tools you can hammer on dolly on the line and that will stretch the mettal just take a lot longer. Also when you roll beads in a piece of metal taking baby steps will help.

9. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

10. Black Primer

Black Primer

Is it really that distorted that it won't fit? It dosen't that far out of shape.

11. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

would using a pneumatic planishing hammer work also?

12. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

13. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Just back off on the wheel pressure next time. You will be fine. No need for "pre stretching. :rolleyes:

14. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you take an old chisel, or a cheap brick chisel and round off the end so it has zero sharp edges, and put the floorboard on a piece of solid wood, thick plywood perhaps on top of your workbench. Use the chisel to chase around the circumference of the bead with a hammer with light blows. That will help stretch out what you have already done. Might not totally fix it, and you can use a shrinking disc to take the rest of the warpage out, but it will fix a lot of it. You will be taking all the stresses out of the edges of the bead by doing this, and it will help quite a bit to make the panel lay flat again. Make sure you chase around the round end of the bead also, and make sure you do not hit it hard enough that you make a bunch of marks in the panel. A whole bunch of light tapping is best. Good luck.

15. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Flathead Johnny - Yes any tool that stretches the metal will work.
    Stretching involves thinning the metal forcing more surface area.

Without per-streching, you need a very good set of dies to control the metal movement the bead forming process causes. Ideally the metal movement is within the bead. If it is not held there it gets distributed across the panel creating the warpage you saw above.

16. 31-5window

31-5window
    from Michigan

Thanks guys for all great info it is appreciated.

17. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

This will work fine, and will be faster the an English wheel and probably easier. Try a couple of practice beads, to figure out how much stretch to put into it before putting in the bead.