Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bad day at the muffler shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stevestude, Dec 14, 2012.

1. stevestude

stevestude
    from orangevale

So I've been working on my truck and needed some work done on my exaust. Took it the muffler shop and the guy was putting it on the rack, he says the throttle stuck, drove it over the rack into the bender and it came to rest against the back wall and a rack of pipe. Now it's at my buddys shop. Not too bad and at least nobody got hurt. To add insult to injury, tho, when they put it back on the rack, the office girl spotted some gas around the plug on the tank and refused to work on the truck. Not a drip mind you, more of a smear. Just thought I'd share and welcome any advice on not getting screwed.

Attached Files:

2. Toecutter

Toecutter

Do you know if the throttle really got stuck? Is the shop offering any help with repairs?

3. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

They better be paying the bill for it !!!!!!!!!!!

4TTRUK

4. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

so all your exhaust work is going to be free, plus some new mufflers right?

5. By the looks......Maybe it's a good thing that they refuse to work on it.

6. Do you have a double spring on the throttle return?

Does the shop have insurance? HRP

7. metal man

metal man

Unless the driver was using way more throttle than needed to get on a lift, the brakes would still stop the thing...right? Sounds like the guy may have been showing off or something.

8. stevestude

stevestude
    from orangevale

It's actually an electronic throttle (ls chevy) and I haven't had any trouble with it in over 6000 mi. so I doubt it's an issue. Not sure what happened, but I drovit it after and it's o.k. I hope they have ins. it's a regular shop ,Marco Muffler on Greenback. T

9. I had that happen on a 5.3 swap.
    Was a corroded map sensor wire connector . Actually there is a GM tbs on this. It can be intermittent as well.

The theory is the computer sees no vacume or high load, slight increase in pedal position results in large movements in throttle blades. In the original vehicle there are other systems that prevent this , but rarely do they get added to the swap.

I caught mine with a data logger

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  10. Gromit

Gromit

Guys make mistakes. I had my foot slip off a clutch once and drove a new truck off the hoist into a toolbox. Dealership fixed the chip. I got the sack. Cut the guy slack, just like everyone he wants to keep his job. If they don't fix it, then press it. as for gas leak.. I understand the concern. I hate welding near gas tanks under the best of conditions. but really.. clean it off and make certain it's not leaking then proceed. It ain't rocket surgery.

11. Sorry to hear that, those trucks are very difficult to find parts for as the limited production during war years. I am in the middle of one for my father inlaw right now and was really suprised of the rarity of parts. Good luck amd hope it turns out well.

12. you drove it home after it was stuck? then

you need to call a lawyer cause they need to fix it.some dumb ass behind the wheel at the shop

13. belair

belair

They broke it, they need to fix it. Simple.

14. coppertone

coppertone

What a rotten thing to happen to a sweet looking Stoogenbeggar.

15. well put. best post in here haha

16. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

You went away not securing a claim on thier ins? Good luck now. You've already been screwed.

NEVER LET A SHOP DRIVE YOUR CAR!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One way or another I'd have been finding out how they were going to pay for the repairs before I left the shop buddy's shop or not.

Over 20+ years of working in shops or teaching auto mechanics I learned that you never pull a strange car on a rack without your left foot on the brake or ready to push the clutch. That saved my ass a couple of times.

18. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

young guy? we were having some work done on my sister car,well we were sitting in front waiting to do paper work & we her car start up a LOT of tire spinnig-we hauled ass to the back just in time to see an ass wipe doing neutral dump with a fresh 283,talk about fucken pissed i thought my sister was gonna yank that kids balls off! after that NEVER let anyone drive her car in-espect the owner...ya need to get some legal help with this (they might even go after you for repairs to their shop?)

19. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

The deal with the front end sucks. Does them not working on it, mean there was no bill written? Do you have proof you and your ride was ever there?

On the other side of things, I own a welding shop. If I small gas under your car or truck, I am done with it. No need to see anything, nothing is going to get done, your ride is back out the door. Its the fumes that make the big boom and if I can smell it, I'm not taking any chances. I had a buddy that was unconscious for 3 days because he was cutting something under a car and gas fumes exploded, blew him out from under the car! Life is already too short. Gene

20. historynw

historynw

Ouch, I got a couple divots in my car after 7yrs of it roaming from shop to shop..that the paint guys are obilgated to fix.

21. Apittslife

Apittslife

Sorry to hear that your truck got damaged.

Their Insurance "will" pay for the repairs! They will try to get out of paying, but in the end they will.

I have been bending pipe for over 20 yrs. Unfortuniatly, accidents / shit happen.

Unless I have some history driving any vehical I am in, I two foot it, & like someone else stated, If I smell gas, or see a wet spot where there is fuel, I am NOT working on it!

22. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Was it a four point rack?
    Most shops around here have those to accomodate different frame setups? Every one I've ever seen has had you pull to the door,set the trans in neutral and they push it into place,then set the outrigger arms to the frame.
    Sounds like the "tech" was trying for some power-braking action and it got away from him?

Nice solid looking truck and I'm sorry for the damage you incurred? Lovin' your chromed headlight rims but the front bumper....uhh.
    You know the front and rear fenders interchange per side,right? Class Glass and Performance in Cumberland,MD have really nice fiberglass ones at a great price.
    Best of luck with your truck!

23. friend totaled his 34 graham coupe hotrod because this failure :-(

24. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Their insurance will definitely have to pay. Also, did they call the police to get a police report?

25. Zeke

Zeke

Police normally will not do an accident report for anything that take place on private property.

26. was your Nuetral safety switch in working order?

27. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Ouch... There tech drove it in? it should be insured for repairs by the Shop.. Just the tech driving it in , you would think there liable. if the pedal stuck.. he should of hit the brake and turned off the ignition..

28. supervert

supervert

i have never been fond of marco, they are always cocky and know it all's.

29. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Just took notice of your avatar. Nice ride. Seems like I just read a thread by your dad on getting you the truck. Good luck with your misfortune

30. Erickson

Erickson

Sorry to hear. We had a similar insodent with a 37 ford that I built for a customer the car was nearly finished all fabrication was finished, body and paint was finished and just needed exhaust put in and interior and planed on delivering the car to the owner within the next two days. We droped it off at the exhaust shop and when we picked the car up the pasanger front fender had a huge crease in it. Luckaly we had been using the shop for some time with all of our builds so they took care of us paying my time removing the fender, striping the paint, metal working out the crease, re assembly, repainting, cutting, buffing and gave us the entire exhaust for free but it was still a pain in the ass doing all the work twice and missing our customers deadline. It was a lesson learned now we take all our cars to the exhaust shop after all the fabrication and fitting is complete and before any body or paint work is done so if anything like this happens again it will be less work and easier to correct as far as the deadline goes.