Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thrashing on my dads 33 truck - PICS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Verbal Kint, May 10, 2010.

1. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Tell the "old man" to smile! We old farts have enough trouble living down the "grumpy" stigma.

Just kidding, great project and even greater story of mending fences.

2. I've seen the wheelbarrow firewall, some were done well and some were done for that "rat..." look.

I lucked out, I have a couple firewall templates, access to a beadroller, louver press, etc..

GV,

Thanks, when you work him hard he gets "serious" put a beer in his hand a let him sit down he gets "smiley"

To all you grandads, fathers, sons this was the best week I've ever spent! We are already spending time planning for the next thrash week.

3. 95ttoplt1

95ttoplt1
    from Tennessee

Old Y blocks are so cool. I remember ever since I was a kid looking at the cross over exhuast and thinking how easy and almost taylor made for a homegrown turbo set-up.

4. The more I've read about the Y-blocks the more appealing the powertrain is.

It was not my choice to start with the truck is for my dad who lives in Seattle. He doesn't wrench on any of his own stuff anymore and for simple/reliable I originally set him up with a 96 LT1 and 4L60E from one of my B-body cars. He didn't want anything to do with it. Pretty demanding for a slacker! But it was his truck and he would have just bitched about the non-traditional motor for the entire time he owned it.

These grey beards are traditional without even trying!

5. Well...

I apologize, an update is well overdue. My dad has had some health/ticker stuff slowing him down and 2011 and 2012 seemed to just roll on by.

While I've been scrounging parts as my wallet and trading stock allows, his 33 has been sitting, taking up space on a friends frame table.

[​IMG]

The good news is I finally "guilted" the old man in taking time from his "busy" retired schedule in May 2013 for another week long thrash.

(In between beer drinking and generally poor behavior, I'm shooting for getting the Y-block/700r4 mounts made, the rear end hung, steering box in place)[/I]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  6. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

I got your wishbones split... Just need to re-adjust the castor

7. grim

grim

Let Pops know we're waitin'. Lookin' good Verbal. Take care of the ol' man.

8. I'm glad you guys went with a y block!

9. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Hopefully, I can find another set of ram horn exhaust manifolds before he arrives. Looking forward to helping out again.

10. Glad to see you'll be hitting it again!

11. Ram Horns um yes please. We are looking forward to getting the help... with our limited skill set we should not be left alone with tools

12. 35fordcoupe

35fordcoupe
    from Virginia

Do you have any pictures of the truck frame cut down? Do you happen to know how much you cut out?

13. Here are a couple pics. I think we took 28" inches off the first time and then another couple inches to get the box to clear.

Before
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 35fordcoupe

35fordcoupe
    from Virginia

Is there any suspension in the last two pics? I'm trying to get a feel for how the 1" taller frame affects the proportion of the cab to bed height to fender gap and the clearance b/w the frame and rear end looks tight like the frame is sitting on the rear end. Thanks!

15. No rear susp/springs under it yet. I've planned a deep c notch to get a minimum of 4" of clearance, lots of depth in the rear frame to work with, crossmembers in front and rear of the notch to pickup my shock mounts.

16. Looking forward to seeing this build get back on track! :) HRP

17. we are building a 33 pickup as well.cool trucks.

18. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

x2...Couldn't have said it better.

19. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Hey Verbal Kent...You need to start working on Kustomkid as well to get his butt in gear on that damn merc... I wanna go for some rides!

20. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Kustomkid mentioned storing the Merc at your new place for a while, so he could work on the milk truck. Just kidding...

21. trial and error on your sedan chop and then on to Kustomkids merc to perfect your TIG skills... sounds like a plan. Its decided, we will deliver it in February.

22. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Whats sad is that may be the only way it will get finished...

23. Oh... thats going to leave a mark!

(Don't even start talking about my Pontiac)

24. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Do you think a little smack talk will get a fire lit under Kustomkids behind;)

25. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Its tempting...:D

26. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

So I heard a rumor that your finally working on a certain 33 Ford truck....Whats it been like 3 years;) :D

27. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

ouch...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. Alamedasam

Alamedasam

I just got a truck just like yours. I am not sure what year mine is or how to tell for sure. Mines a dually with really odd rear outside rims. It is a partly taken apart tow truck. Anybody know how to tell the year?

29. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

post a picture ...we will tell ya the year

30. Took a week of use or lose it vaca and got a run at making my dads 33 pickup a roller before his thrash/visit May

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'll have a local finish welding and box the rear frame

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]