Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anyone used little bitty seats......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brett4christ, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Yes, I did a search, and yes, I know the seats are from off-topic vehicles, but they've been mentioned here before, just cant find pics......

Has anyone used those little bitty mid-90's GM van seats (Venture, Montana, Sillouette) in a Model A?

If so can you help a guy out and show some pics!

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I was going to use a mid 90's van, jeep or whatever seat in my T. But I didn't want a seat that looked mid 90's van, jeep or whatever.

The thing to do would be modify them a little. Takes time and could be fun. So, any one of those that you mentioned can work. Take a measuring tape to the junkyard and go to town. But don't leave it stock. It'll look very out of place in an early car.

I built my own seat, but it's a T and very easy to do.

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

4. Chad,

I've seen the bench seats and they're great for a coupe. I was talking about the small bucket seats like these:

[​IMG]

THe cool thing about the seat closest to you in the pic is it has a built-in child's seat. And since I have a granddaughter coming in March, I could fit them with her in mind!

Now, how to get rid of the homely headrests......

5. Brett,

Check out the tractor supply places and Summit- they have tractor and Jeep seats that are small, but comfy. I know that Brad54 and others have used their seats and have been really happy with the results!

6. ev88f

ev88f

Those headrests should come out with a right angle pick. There's usually a clip inside the seat that holds the metal rod for the headrests in place. fish it around in there and youll feel it release.
    with the headrest out you still have the two holes to worry about, but if youre covering the seats nobody would be the wiser

7. Some nice little buckets can be found in Triumph Spitfires or MGs

8. dutchrod

dutchrod

I used Mg seats in my tudor.

[​IMG]

9. oldolds

oldolds

The seats you took a pic of would probably be ok. Take the head rest off, cut the top 2/3's of the head rest off, restich the material, and reinstall them. would look ok and not have to recover.

10. ^^^Kinda what I was thinking. Each seat has sliders, too!

The seatbacks have plastic molded covers with cupholders in them. I'd pull them and make plain panels and cover them, maybe in carpet.

The reason I even ask is. if they are still there on Jan. 1, the local pull-a-part is having a 50%-off sale! I can get 5 (4 good seats and 1 for parts/covers) for around $100. Not too shabby!! I can't find a single Triumph seat and the MG seats I find are $300 each!

11. Nice interior dutchrod! Love the color!

12. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Here's GM minivan seats, without headrests, in my '36 ford pickup.

Blue

Attached Files:

13. 39 Ford

39 Ford

The seats you show look very "Street Rod ish", it your car so do as you wish. Enjoy

14. Northern tool carries a forklift seat that a few of my friends like to use in their rods. Doesn't look as holy as you'd think is part number 1742 made by wise

15. I used seats from a DC3. They were butt ugly when I bought them but I could see how they could be re-worked to give something a little different;

As found
    [​IMG]

More interesting
    [​IMG]

I made these brackets from cutting up the seats and having other parts laser cut in stainless
    [​IMG]

After a trip to the polisher
    [​IMG]

In the car - the backs use the original mechanism to adjust for rake
    [​IMG]

Supports made from DC3 clevises and aluminium airframe tubing
    [​IMG]

The squabs be made from 1" thick high density foam covered in tuck and roll. They will clip on/off. Similar for the backrest but I think I will run without them around town to show off the polished ally
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. I've been telling people to use those seats for years. I looked at an Olds van for sale a few years ago as part of a car deal and that one had seats that had rounded tops and no head rests - they'd be perfect for an A coupe. They stuck out as being kind of odd for a van like that to have in it, which is why I remember them at all.

17. chopo

chopo

I used these in a few now. they can be found in vans such as 90's 3500 series dodge handicap van. usally they are lined up along the walls and have built in hinges to flip so wheelchairs are enter the van.......

Attached Files:

18. I like it, but I need a seatback that folds forward (at least on the passenger side) for back seat access.

Nice work on the redo! See above comment....

What year Olds van? I'd really like something a little less "square"!

Nice seats! I'll keep a lookout!

19. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

I'm using ford king ranch back seats for my 35

Attached Files:

20. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

21. Boones

The thread you copied is for bench seats. Sorry, I should have added "bucket" to the first line of the post! See the pic in post #4....

22. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Jeep Seats from Summit... they look JUST like the old Dodge A100 van/Mopar Super Stock buckets.
    Brand new, fresh covers, fresh foam, fresh springs, $300 for the pair, ready to bolt in and go. And they're comfortable.
    They've got the right look and the right price--tough to beat.

-Brad

23. Nomad

Nomad
    from Gretna, NE

24. jarhead

jarhead

25. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

The customer reviews on the Northern Tool web site for that seat are all glowing. It looks like it would be a cinch to install in something like a Model A hot rod, and it appears that it might even be weatherproof for a roadster. I see that they even have seatbelt holes in the seat frame, so if you secure them properly adding seatbelts should be a snap. And they are very low cost, about $80 plus shipping.

Link: Wise Universal Bucket Seat

26. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

1947 to 1954 Chevy or GMC school bus driver seat but it takes two of them. They are cool.

27. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

brett, sorry, missed that. I am also in the need for a set of narrow seats for my Modified project something like a 17" wide bottom. outside of bomber seats that is tough. I have been looking for a set of early MG or Triump seats.

28. indyjps

indyjps

Check out third row seats in vans and SUV. They have to fit between wheel wells so theyre narrower, They usually don't have as much contours to them and have fold down mechanism which can be handy if there any storage room behind your seats, usually Need the mounts cut down for height

29. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

scrounging around pic-a-part, i got some seats from a '68 M715. made them fit, look great. ditched the bottom spings, to get low.