Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yup, & "Brad." Post #6758: General Eisenhower chats with Omar Bradley at 12th Army HQ while leaning on his '41 Clipper staff car. MacArthur had same model. Thanks to packardinfo.com, a GREAT site, Packard fans!!

Notice, even the general's Packard is in black-out Stealth mode?!?:p

2. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

3. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

5. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

QUOTE=nwbhotrod;8432315]Shes looking at Janes Nippel almost popping out. and a very lovely nippel[/QUOTE]

^^^^^
    Vote time! Does this man deserve a cigar, or not?

Originally Posted by 49ratfink [​IMG]
    everybody likes cleavage
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In two very different eras, PERHAPS, Sophia and Secretary of State
    Clinton got an epihany on how to feed malnourished orphans in war-
    torn and famine-stricken regions of the world?:rolleyes:

It just takes two, right? :) Er, uh, I mean TWO great minds think alike? :eek:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Okay, back to serious again.:rolleyes: (Aw, do we HAVE to?:()

Would this have been a similar configuration to what propelled
    the U.S. patrol-torpedo fleet of WWII?:confused:

Or, did the PT boats use only TWO?

8. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

9. Chris Garner

Chris Garner

Wonderful photograph. Interesting to see three seperate saddles and cross slides on each machine but no steadies apparent. Not sure how present day Health and Safety would view the headstock geartrains though!
    I remember seeing similar lathes being disposed of in the '60s in the north west of England. Very sad that Great Britain has lost so much of it's heavy mechanical engineering base.

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All P.T. Boats (Elco, Higgins and Huckins) used 3 V12s to power them. Although there was at least one prototype with 4 V12s.

Doc.

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Chris, it would seem the same is true here in the U.S. I recall, years ago -- I think it was CBS News -- at the time the battleship Iowa was being decommissioned. An expert on metalurgy said it marked the end of an era AND the end of such large fuild-steel gun barrels. The reason was that the detailed tech know-how had not been preserved. Though missiles have largely replaced the need for such amazing guns, it ALWAYS seems sad to see the passing of an era, doesn't it?:eek:

12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Sharp photo on Turnbull Canyon, Whittier, CA, 1914, thanks to OzFan22 of FlickR.

13. Another foundry pic, I believe this is the Bethlehem foundry about 100 years ago, where big guns for the USN were made.

[​IMG]

14. Engines of PT boat. There were several different manufacturers and types of boats.

[​IMG]

15. greenfieldkid

greenfieldkid

16. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

The Battleship Iowa, as photographed in 1947 by a Los Angeles Times photog. Below, THEN&NOW (or at least more recently). Decommisioned in 1990, the Iowa settled into its permanent home in July, this year, in Long Beach!:cool:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [​IMG]

BROADSIDE! Below, sort of reminds me of back at the track in the days when guys were running nitro-methane AND were still allowed to do full bleach burn-outs! Just THE SPECTACLE of it!:eek::D

[​IMG]

I vote for this photo as one of the INSTANT CLASSICs of Dog's thread. July 2, 1984, the USS Iowa fires a full broadside of her nine 16-inch and six five-inch guns during an exercise near Vieques Island, Puerto Rico. Note concussion effects on the water surface. I wonder how many FISH you could scoop up after that salvo!!!

This pic, shot by Phan J. Alan Elliott for the U.S. Defense Department, is "preview" size only, on Wikipedia. You can see it, same place, in MONSTER SIZE :D(3,000 X 1,998 pixels). Search: Iowa class battleship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_class_battleship

[​IMG]

Firepower demo, August 15, 1984 (also available MONSTER SIZE!)

[​IMG]

The Iowa, "home" in Long Beach, present day. Numbers
    alone just can't convey the bore of the big guns. The photo
    speaks reams, doesn't it?;) (BTW, during its last refitting, the
    Iowa got Cruise Missiles, in addition to its original guns!)

17. RT HEMI

RT HEMI

Oh did I"pine":rolleyes:for one of these Pontiacs in third grade !!! King motors in Gaithersburg Md had one on the 1 car show room floor and I walked by it every day longing for it !!!!!!!!!!What a lucky present for her !!:)

18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

One keen old gas station shot, thanks to OzFan22 of the FlickR community. From the Herald-
    Examiner of June 4, 1928. Original newspaper cutline: "Service station at 1800 1/2 Long Beach
    Boulevard, South Gate, owned by Louie Meyers and operated by him with aid of his 19-year-old wife, June Meyer. Louie also owns the adjoining garage where he worked as a mechanic, three
    years ago." (From the Herald-Examiner collection)

19. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Man, there's just something about those Iowa class ships. Been on kind of a battle ship kick lately, been reading up on them a bit. 16" guns, 1900 lb. shells and a fuck ton of armor... Such a shame that there is nothing even close to those in our modern navies..

Attached Files:

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Wow, this pic brings back memories of my own two sisters, twins, who were about this age
    in 1954/4 when the above was taken!:) Like these gals, all the sibs in our family were into things Western and often asked for cap guns or apparel for birthdays and Christmas. These young ladies are the sister and cousin (unnamed here) of FlickR member SpyGrandson. The pic was snapped on a sunny day on a farm near Athens, in southeastern Ohio.

21. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

I thought the new bodies for Plymouth and the rest of the Chrysler line were 1939.

22. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Magic ahead.......

Attached Files:

23. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

You sure are

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Right, IceBerg. But these were sort of at the apex of an arms footrace during the first half of the Twentieth Century. After the dreadnoughts, the Japanese set about more heavily armed and armored battleships. Used VERY effectively against the Russians in the 1905 Russo-Japanese War.;)

Teddy Roosevelt won a Nobel Prize for helping negotiate an end to that war. HOWEVER, he started warning all who would listen in the U.S. government that the Empire of Japan represented the biggest coming threat to our interests in the Pacific!:eek:

Bottom line: The era of surface-to-surface missiles -- not heavy conventional guns -- ment that the big battle cruisers would become obsolete, tactically speaking.:(

25. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

One of these lived not far from me....

Attached Files:

26. Battleships are cool, but useless in today's Navy. The Yamato was the biggest of them all, was blasted by USN carrier planes and torpedoes. Sunk in two hours.
    The Iowa's can through a 2600 lb shell 28 miles, aircraft can deliver 12,000 lbs from 1000 miles, and missiles are nearly unstoppable.

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

We can ask 31Dodger for sure. But I thought '37 started the next series (remember the '36 roofline was more square); and from the split windshield BACK, the '39 body looked the same as the '38 -- at least in my mind's eye.:p

28. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

it's called the "Congressional" Medal of Honor because Congress has to approve it and that confuses some people. The proper name is Medal of Honor. It is approved by Congress and presented by the president to the recipient or if posthumously awarded to a family member. It is also not correct to call a MOH recipient a "Winner" of the medal.

29. Iowas is magnificent, I visited Missouri at Bremerton in the 70's, now that Iowa is at Long Beach I'll go see her.
    Here's Yamato's ( and battleships) fate!
    Same for Mushashi, Fuso, Yamahiro,Haruna, Kirishima,Bismark et al!

[​IMG]

30. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Very true, Gary. In retrospect, it was popular to say that ONE of the Iowa's guns could throw a projectile weighing roughly the weight of a VW Beetle 28 miles.:eek: And, as I recall, each shot took seven silk bags (no static!) of black powder, rather than the newer "smokeless" propellent. (Somebody help with the details, please.)

The Yamato was, INDEED, the biggest battleship ever, bigger than the Iowa or the Bismarck. In the last days of WWII, the Jap high command KNEW it was futile to send the Yamato out.:rolleyes: BUT, it was a matter of national honor, so thousands of Japanese seamen died for no gain. Sad story, from anyone's POV or nationality. Former military would probably appreciate it best. Walk in the other guy's shoes, right?

Missiles? Argentina's battleship, General Belgrano, was a former U.S. vessel that survived the bombing of Pearl Harbor, fought the war, eventually got decommissioned and, finally, sold to Argentina. CAN'T REMBER the U.S. name.:confused: Anyway, the Belgrano went down to British guided missiles during the '80s Falklands War.

Ironic, isn't it? Survive Pearl to die in another country's service?:(

The Brits also lost a big ship, to an Argentine French Exocet Missile. So, it would seem the Falklands War would have killed any remaining arguments for big, conventionally armed battle cruisers, would it?:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.