Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Took the family to the Henry Ford Museum today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 37willysgasser, Dec 10, 2012.

1. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Old Henry was really a man before his time. If you look around the museum it is full of a lot more than just FOMOCO items. He collected a lot of things. He had a real love for steam powered equipment. When you venture over to Greenfield Village, the vision it took to just collect the homes and historic buildings was way more than anyone could have envisioned. He was called a crack pot for wanting to start the village, But there is a ton of history there. He even moved the orange dirty with Edisons Menlo Park Laboratory to make it realistic in feel.
    We use to live there when my dad worked at the WHQ- Glass House in Dearborn. Spent many a days at the Henry and Greenfield Village in the 70's. It is not just a Ford lovers place but a good look at America and where we have been and what we have accomplished. I miss the place....!

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

This Bugatti Royal was found in a Bronx junk yard in 1943, restored and given to the Ford Collection in 1958. Everyone should take a few days and visit the collection and Greenfield Village. Henry Ford was one of the few people to collect famous historical buildings and build a village with them. Bob [​IMG]

3. Torchie

Torchie

You are right Rickybop. Place was very dark and quite unorganized. Locomotives were lined up as you remember. Their massive size always fascinated me.
    I grew up in the Detroit area and I used to go to the museum quite alot as comperd to many people that were from the area and have never been there.
    I still remember standing and looking at the 999 racer and trying to imagine what that beast must have sounded like and wondering who had the balls big enough to drive it. LOL
    Will do what I can about the pics as most of them are pretty dark due to crappy lighting and my Kodak Instamatic camera.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks again, Torchie. Kind of dark and disorganized...pretty much how I remember it being back then.

5. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Went there in 1973 while at a V-8 Club meet it is a great place. Henry once said "History is Bunk" but he left a great collection for future generations to enjoy. Hope it is around for a very long time.

6. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

I love that museum. We go every year when we're out for the Autorama. A definite must see. Something for everyone.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. David Doo

David Doo

just think if Henry Ford never came up with the ideas of the "T" there would be no hot roding as we know and love today, I don't think...

8. terry48435

terry48435

9. I was there in '77 while on vacation from Scotland,some of my folks emigrated to Detroit way back when and worked for both Ford and Packard,sadly I was a little young to fully appreciate it....
    I do remember it was huge though and I didn't get to see it all,as we got dragged off to see the Rouge plant and production lines.(Mustang IIs :mad:)

Although...It must have had some effect on me or I wouldn't be here posting this today,instead i'd be driving around in some boring 'Eurobox'.

10. teejay99

teejay99

Been several times to HFM and the adjacent Greenfield Village .......always worth it , particularly since I'm into steam locos as well as vintage cars / trucks / bikes .

T

11. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Anyone wanting to visit the museum or village, the local area Meijer stores have discount tickets available. Save a few bucks. The Village is far improved after the renovation in 2003 (blow my own horn as I lead the Civil engineering design it was the coolest project ever).

12. Went to the HF museum two years ago while on the HRPT. Spent a whole day in there and still needed more time. Awesome place to see!

13. db300

db300

Every American should be required to go to this museum as part of their citizenship. It will take at the least, two days to get most of it in. It is far from being just a Ford museum.

14. banjo

banjo

they had a bluegrass festival in greenfield village back in the early 80s. my band was one that got to play there. they wouldnt let any vehicles newer than 1949 on the grounds, so we got shuttled back and forth in model t's and a's.

15. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Brill, I've been to Henrys' Mansion, must get to the Museum.

Thanks for the pics.

16. dad-bud

dad-bud

I was fortunate enough to spend a day there in 2004, then took my wife back for another full day in 2008.
    It is spectacularly good - so many iconic cars and other manufactured goods, and is such a great setting.
    I intend to return again sometime (as soon as I can) to soak up some more history.
    It is an important place filled with marvels from the 20th century, and I can recommend it to anyone.
    Thanks Henry.

17. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

not only is the museum amazing, must check out the village also, and get a ride in an original model T!

18. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

It is such a cool place. And the beauty is for a family there is something for everyone. The village is beautiful in summer and at Christmas time. Last time I was there we caught a game of old time baseball. My son in law is a musician and they had the cars and guitars exhibit going so he got to see some cool guitars which he enjoyed. They change it up enough to not get boring which is different than lots of Museums!

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Over on the Ford Barn there is a thread about the THIRD Ford built in 1903. Bill Ford bought it, and I would hope it gets put on display in Greenfield Village. Must feel special when you can buy a car your Great Grandfather built. Bob [​IMG]