Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Who all worked at Roth Studios?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nik, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Nik

Nik

I know some of the big names got their start by working for Big Daddy, but I saw a business card for someone named Charles Altizar and had no clue who he was. Does anyone have a list of all the folks that worked for Big Ed when they were churning out koolness by the truckloads?

2. A list like that would be a big order to fill. Mr Roth helped a lot of people learn and a lot of people helped out as well.

3. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As a start: Jim"Jitney Jake" Jacobs, Robert Williams, Suzanne Williams, Dan Woods, R Crum, Dirty Doug. I`d like to know the rest also.

4. His two oldest sons,Howard and Dennis(Little daddy)did alot of work on the cars.

5. They did the cars,from what i heared.

6. Larry T

Larry T

If your counting artists that sold work thru Roth, Dave Mann is in there too.

7. skywolf

skywolf

8. flyin-t

flyin-t

Ed Fuller.

He worked at Dan Woods too back in the 70s when Dan's shop was next door to ours in Huntington Beach. I believe Ed was also on the cover of Roths first issue of his bike/chopper magazine.

On a bet once from Roth and some others in the shop, Fuller went out to the center line in the street and took a crap. At noon.

9. flyin-t

flyin-t

10. Von Franco, Johnny Ace.

11. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Baron, Kelly Roth, Williams, Newton. The Crazy Painters. The I think Roth left, to long ago. Don't remember who was with Ed. I just called Dennis but his mail box is full.

12. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

I think Art God Sonny DePalma did work for Big Daddy. You out there Sonny, is that true?.

13. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I just talked to Dennis Roth, after his dad left Baron Roth Kelly, He worked with Dave Cook.

14. Roger, in the photo above Fuller is wearing a Larry Watson Shirt.

15. flyin-t

flyin-t

Skip Barrett's card

[​IMG]

and his roadster

[​IMG]

16. Some crazy mofos worked there back in the day, and it's a wonder they ever got anything done. Jim Jacobs has some great stories from his time that he worked there.

17. Richard Ash worked for Roth before defecting to work for Mouse. How about Gary "the Crazy Arab" Olsen and Doyle Gammell.

18. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

sweet. was it in the "passing lane"

19. Sonny Depalma

Sonny Depalma
    Member Emeritus

Yes, I had the honor to do work for him and he licensed me , it's surreal to me now, hanging out at the Mooneyes shows being he was a hero of mine, and larger than life!