Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Is This Thing?!?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Dec 10, 2012.

1. I saw this on someone's 55 Chevy project, and I can't figure out for the life of me what it is. Does someone else know?

Attached Files:

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

looks like a vacuum can. or maybe an oil separator for a pcv.

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Looks like it needs a coat of paint.

4. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Prob some old snake oil device promising better MPG..........

;)

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

That'd be my thought.
    Someone retrofitted a PCV to an engine not originally equipped and needed a way to keep it from sucking oil.
    Hamber C9 (rip) had something similar done for his Deuce roadster and actually detailed its construction here on the HAMB.

Of course without a close look at the canister and associated bits all that is just a guess!

6. dad-bud

dad-bud

It's a milk-frother so you can make double-shot decaf skim frappucinos on the way home after a long day.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

7. Early flux capacitor.....

8. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

Pressure lubricator for flatheads with a "Prostitute" cam, for guys that like to fuck
    around town. Very common in the 'fities.

9. The_Stig

The_Stig

The lower half looks like a sediment bowl, judging by the sway clip holding it in place

10. Hellfish

Hellfish

What does the label say?

11. zeuglodon

zeuglodon

I think it's some sort of accessory vacuum reservoir for the wipers.

Vacuum wipers had an issue of slowing or stopping under low vacuum conditions (acceleration).

12. Could that be one of those cirgarette suckers?? The accessory that would suck the butts into a container??

Looks like large enough tubing, it's hooked to vacuum, AND it has a container with what looks like ciggie butts.

What do I win??

Cosmo

13. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

if it was for the wiper, there'd be a connection to the wiper. Note that the vacuum for the item comes from the intake directly, but I don't see any tubes to a PCV valve, or to the oil filter. Perhaps a 'butt-sucker' is exactly what it is, but that reservoir doesn't look large enough for a "pack-a-day" puffer.

14. zeuglodon

zeuglodon

15. It sure would, IF that thing were connected to the wipers.

However, it is not.

Cosmo

16. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

To 'back you' up, that forum would need a picture of a nearly identical item. I still don't see any mechanical/physical connection by which the wiper motor would benefit from anything that pump/canister/whatzit could do. If it isn't connected, how can any stored vacuum operate the wiper motor?

17. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

If you follow the rubber line that runs from the center (left) of the IIQ (item in question), you can see that it goes around the back of the valve cover, under the wiper motor and over to the other side of the engine where it likely connects to a PCV valve. As someone has also surmised, it's an oil separator for a non-OEM positive crankcase ventilation valve.

18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a connection to the wiper motor through that valve looking think on the side of the intake. That valve probably opens at a normal cruise vacuum, which could operate both the wiper motor AND also charge the canister with vacuum. At low vacuum, the valve closes, but you still would have a reserve of vacuum in the canister to operate the wiper for a few swipes across the glass.

Of course that doesn't explain the second larger hose on the canister. Maybe its a combo butt-sucker and glASS wiper.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

where does the other line go on the other side of the motor?

20. I don't know. This is the only picture of it he had posted.

Never seen one, but that concept is the coolest thing I've heard of in a while. :D

21. I stand corrected.

Attached Files:

22. It looks like an early "green" device. Like a sludge vacuum.

23. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Looks kind of like a product called, believe it or not, "Condensator",....it went between pcv and mainfold,..with a silica jell element,....a kind of "heavy hydroocarbon seperator". We saw a lot them in mid to late 70's,....Difference was it had a glass bowl, so (I guess) you could see when it needed servicing.
    4TTRUK

24. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

That is not a "valve" coming out of the intake. It's a simple brass T fitting - one for the wiper motor and one for the item we're discussing.

25. That makes sense, but what was the purpose of it? Was it early EPA reg requirements?