Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 3100 Truck Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shadams, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Coach529

Coach529

Great looking build.

2. 50 chevy matt

50 chevy matt
    from UK

i never realised how many 3100's there are on this forum, great to see you all coming together to help each other out and give tips and hints on what you have done, i will be asking a few questions myself no doubt when i come to strip mine this winter

thanks again for such a great thread build and keep up the good work :)
    Matt

3. AZbent

AZbent

Hey 50 chevy matt, come on over to the "AD truckers" group in the community section. A lot of knowledge and ideas.

4. 50 chevy matt

50 chevy matt
    from UK

thanks AZbent i will have nosey

5. shadams

shadams

50CHEVYMATT: Sorry, man, doesnt ring any bells. Kick ass truck though...

OLCHEV: Thats it, nice

Oldman: Very nice, but damn, how long ago was that, looks like polaroid pics!!

6. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

7. oldman2

oldman2

Those pics were taken in Feb of 1999:eek:, with an old 35MM, I had to take original pics, scan on my printer and then save to computer before I could post them. As the old saying goes "time marches on":rolleyes::rolleyes:...Jim

8. shadams

shadams

Well in that case, thanks for going through all that trouble for me!! But yea, I am amazed that its coming up on two years since I started all this. I was talking to a guy I work with who is building a 63 Fairlane that has been about a 10yr project and I was complaining about how this project is draggin on for me and he just laughed. But if you knew me, this is a record, usually I am in and out of a hobby within a year or so, I guess I have toy A.D.D. I think I have found my niche though....take care...

9. AZbent

AZbent

Yeah ol chebby you did put together that nice "little" thread over there on that other web site. It has a ton of info in it. I am very appreciatetive for the knowledge that you imparted unto us heathens in the ad world.

Now it is time to get back to Shadams fine work.

10. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Feel free to join up and contribute or ask away......

11. oldman2

oldman2

shadams, anytime I can be of help let me know, I've got tons of pics of my build, that I would be glad to post...Jim

12. shadams

shadams

So I got the fittings I needed to install my trans cooler lines and SURPRISE!!!! they dont fit... technically they fit but there is not enough room between the rad and the crank pulley. So last night I pulled the radiator back out and found that I could slide it back in the support on the forward side of the fender support bolts that come through the side of the radiator support and it looks like I am good.

I have to figure out how to bolt it up and get a new lower radiator hose, possibly notch the top support where the hood latch bolts and also notch the lower splash pan due to the radiator being farther forward but now I have quite a bit room there.

Frustrating as hell but what isnt when you are doing something like this. Plus, damn those fins on the rad are sensitive, barely even touch them and they end up looking like hell...is there any tips on straightening them back out so the look better...

13. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

You can cut out the flat top of the radiator upper cross brace, then slide the radiator into the channel. This is what I did. I used some nuts for spacers, then inserted bolts through the origional mount, through spacers, through radiator, nylock nuts on the inside. It is a bitch to hold the nuts, but after much colorful language I made it.

14. 50 chevy matt

50 chevy matt
    from UK

thanks shadams, got to rebuild her over winter though, change of colour and other bits too.

15. shadams

shadams

Yep, it was a bitch to get the nuts on without spacers, so I al really going to whine this time around. Thanks...

16. oldman2

oldman2

I always tape cardboard on the front and rear of radiator while doing fit up work, saves having to straighten the fins...Jim

17. c6_rob

c6_rob

Hey shadams, who makes that tank you are using? Looks great!!

18. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Damn buddy, Ive been so busy I havent been on the Hamb in quite a few months. I just went thru every page since the summer to see how your doing with it all... You have made some impressive progress! Before you know it youll be rolling down the road with it! One thing I noticed that I may see problems with especially in hot ass Texas is the pusher fan for cooling that radiator... Anyhow, what a long prodject from the first couple posts when you bought that thing, keep at it man!

19. shadams

shadams

Hmm, maybe that would work. I can get them pretty nice with a small scredriver but damn that is tedious....thanks

NOOOOWWWWW you tell me..;) That is a good idea....

The gas tank is from Performance Online, fit perfect. Thanks!

Hey man, where the hell you been?! I was just looking back through your thread a couple weeks back, wondering how you were enjoying the truck. But yea, pretty much every free minute trying to get it at least driveable...thanks. And yea I was worried about that too, now that I have some more clearance between the pump and the radiator I may look into other options. I realized at the Strugglers show last month as the old cars were passing by that it just didnt seem right to hear an electric fan roaring behind the grill.
    Not a big deal but if it works I'll probably just leave it be, if not I'll consider a cowl and mech fan.

20. shadams

shadams

Got my steering linkage Frday, was pumped because UPS said expected date was Monday. So i had something to do this weekend.

[​IMG]

Used a 1"DD to 3/4"DD joint up top

[​IMG]

And a 1"DD to 13/36 36 spline at the bottom and ditched the rag joint..

[​IMG]

Went with a 14-26" collapsible shaft for safety and I'll be damned, everything fit perfect. Had to drill dimples in the shafts for the set screws to grab onto but otherwise easy. Had the wife sit in the truck and turn from lock to lock and all was nice and smooth.

[​IMG]

FINALLY got my trans cooler lines hooked up, what a pain in the ass that was. Had to move my radiator back about 3" so had to get another lower hose, top one still fit OK. Then my fan wouldn't go back with the brackets I made, damn am I glad that is over with.

[​IMG]

Something just didn't look right when I was looking at the truck and I finally figured out what it was, so I masked it up and painted the front of the radiator black. Looks much better. Plus it will blend in better when the grill is on and hide the fan a little more.

[​IMG]

Made up some new brackets for the fan..

[​IMG]

And put it back on place.

[​IMG]

So the date is set for next Saturday. One of the techs I work with is coming over to due a once over, make sure I didnt miss anything. Still gotta get a battery and cables, and rig up a little harness to use temp for the fan/hei but we are going to prime the oiling system, add all the fluids and fire this bitch up, finally... and yes, I will have a video...wish me luck!!

21. oldman2

oldman2

Best of luck, can't wait till next Saturday....Jim

22. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Best of luck man, killer progress

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

23. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Hey man, where the hell you been?! I was just looking back through your thread a couple weeks back, wondering how you were enjoying the truck. But yea, pretty much every free minute trying to get it at least driveable...thanks. And yea I was worried about that too, now that I have some more clearance between the pump and the radiator I may look into other options. I realized at the Strugglers show last month as the old cars were passing by that it just didnt seem right to hear an electric fan roaring behind the grill.
    Not a big deal but if it works I'll probably just leave it be, if not I'll consider a cowl and mech fan.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...busy as hell bro, its good to be back on and checking up on everyones builds! Im loving my truck, I drive it everyday when Im not in my work truck and its going strong, it def gets a lot of attention wherever I am at! I ended up using a electronic fan on my truck even tho I dont like them... I got mine along with the radiator from Classic Parts...it has a built in shroud which is super important. I was in some 100 plus heat stuck on the freeway on route to the Shifters show this summer and it did what its suppossed to do! Its actually super thin too...from what Ive heard the pusher fans just dont do what youd think..i was told not to put one on my 54 to help cooling!! What about moving radiator forward more..is it possible? Either way man... it all looks really good, cant wait to see more!

24. shadams

shadams

Good to hear the trucks doing good for you.. As far as the fan, at this point there isnt enough room on the back side for the fan without further mods. I am going to keep pluggin along and hope for the best. If it wont cool than I wont have a choice but to move things around, but that would involve more cutting, but as you know, anything can be done with time/money/patience. Anyway, thanks for the comps and see you around...

25. 50 chevy matt

50 chevy matt
    from UK

great news and good luck with saturday

Matt

26. Everything is looking great! Hope it goes well this Saturday. :)

27. shadams

shadams

Today was a good day.....a little back story....

All week I have been getting ready for today. Bought a battery, cables, more cables, and cables again, then oil/filter, oil and filter, trans fluid, coolant, power steering fluid, and on and on. Wearing my PJ's I would go out after dinner and do a few things.

Using this filter and oil for break in...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then will switch to this with a K&N Filter..

[​IMG]

Using Dex6 for trans...

[​IMG]

This AM I went to napa and bought a cheapy gauge set, a few more odds and ends and then Davy Dave came over and we got going. Filled coolant with 4 gals and right off the bat had a leak. Seems my thermostat housing bolts were too long and one side was leaking just sitting there. Shave the bolt down and good to go.

Then Davy Dave set his distributor with the top cut off and ground down so an air drill will chuck up and we got the engine primed. I was worried about excessive cranking with no fuel in the lines, and considering I had a large fuel filter and lines we had an idea. I undid the line at the pump and the held a shop towel over the gas filler and blew air in to pressurize the tank, gas came roaring out of the front of the line all over my driveway. Hooked it back up, got power to the HEI and fan, and hit the starter and BAMMM! First try like a champ!
    Started adding fluids like mad men and then the thermostat opened, air and coolant came gushing out and once I got the cap on there was a huge cloud of steam to deal with. I noticed the temp kept climbing and then Dave said oh shit, the fan isnt hooked up.

Long story short, lots of little issues but after about 10 minutes it was good to go. Thought we hear a little noise but figured it was the exhaust since there wasnt any other than down pipes, so I crwled under and slid some flowmasters I had over the pipes and we could hear a lot better and the engine sounded perfect!! Ran it about 15 minutes at 1500-2500 rpms then let it idle and it stayed at about 200 with the fan on. Sounded AWESOME!!!!

Didnt get any idle vid as my phone died, but here you go, not the best video but you get the idea..

http://youtu.be/qaKv-E9L1-c

28. oldman2

oldman2

Way to go bud, sounds great....Jim

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  29. shadams

shadams

This was from a while back...

Yep it did, blistered up pretty nasty style. Pulled one side off and am going to experiment with different finishes this weeked.