Register now to get rid of these ads!

Growing up, I remember...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, May 27, 2010.

1. Penny candy

getting a nickel back for pop bottles

Revelle made the best 1/25 scale models For $2.50

Pouring model glue on the $2.50 revelle model and lighting it on fire , and rolling it down the nearest gulley

3 gallons for a buck

the Oklahoma credit card ( swallowing half a pint to get two gallons )

getting caught siphoning, and made to work it off

mowing lawns for $5

Being followed home , or given a ride home from the local Constabulary, instead of being arrested for DWI

$3 a carload nite at the drive inn , and still putting three guys in the trunk

Driving one of Dad's school buses to $3 a carload night

Taking a note , @ 7 years old to the store for Mom's Pall Malls

Mom's Call to dinner , 120 decibles , a block away JOEEEY DINNER!!!!

Gentleman's fight, if one was knocked down , nobody got 'the boots' put to 'em . they were allowed to get back up. and usually shook hands and had a beer together after , and sometimes , became friends,

This note made me feel good , But, old,, Joe

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking for '32 Fords in my dad's Sunday paper ads was cool.

But the bra section in my mom's Sears catalog was inspiring.

3. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

Smoking and non smoking sections in restaurants
    The puzzles in the cap of Lucky Lager
    Grandma's Pall Mall's
    Milk man coming to the neighbor's house
    Riding my bike all over the place and not worrying about strangers
    Sitting in the "way back" of my parents 72 or 73 Gran Torino wagon with no A/C, brown vinyl interior, and trying to get truck drivers to honk at us
    Stores were closed on Sunday
    Stores were closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas
    Family was much more sacred

4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D:eek:Good God almighty.Do I ever remember.Good times with Mom,Dad and little sister.You could call in requests for a particular record.Western swing,country/western,rock and roll,the big bands.You know like Glenn Miller,Dorsey Brothers,Benny Goodman.THOSE big bands.2lb loaf of sandwich sliced bread for 10 cents at the 7-11.Go anywhere and everywhere without worrying about the wolly boogers getting ya.Remember Dads 29 Ford rumble seat roadster.Dark green body with black fenders.Got to drive it one time before Dad sold it.Me and sis in the front seat.Mom and Dad in the rumble seat with the top down.What a blast.Saturday afternoon matinee at the walk in theater was 10 cents.Thought it was outrageous when the price went to 15 cents.Royal Castle burgers were 10 cents each.As the old song went."Those were the days".Never again.BUT damn,they were FUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.
    Thanks for the memories.Oopsssssss.Thats another song.
    By the by.I just turned 67 last month.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

5. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Eating at the kids table for thanksgiving (sometimes setup in the garage) :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. stopping at the Mobile gas station and buying a soda that pulled from the bottle machine for .25 cents, and taking the girlfriend to the drive-in for a buck!

7. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Remembering as a little kid in the
    late 1950's seeing - 1) - the very last
    of the horse-drawn door-to-door
    milk and bread delivery wagons,
    starting by then to be replaced
    en-mass by the by the then ubiquitous,
    DIVCO delivery trucks and - 2) - seeing
    the very last 'Canadian National',
    'Canadian Pacific' and 'Toronto,
    Hamilton and Buffalo Rwy' steam
    locomotives still in regular, day-to-day
    operation.

8. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I recall a junkman with a horse drawn wagon in the streets of Detroit in the mid 60's.

The guy that pushed the cart street, rang a bell & yelled "scissiors sharpened". Early 60's

"Dave" the ice cream man w/his truck. We didnt need no stinkin Good Humor man.

9. Stopping at A&W root beer and Stuckey's on our way across country every year for Christmas.

10. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Growing up, I remember....chocked full of
    tetraethyl lead goodness, 102-plus octane,
    60-cent a gallon 'Sunoco 260'!:D:D:D

Mart3406
    ==================

Attached Files:

11. Sixness

Sixness
    from Cen Tex

Wrapping a blown fuse with tinfoil from a cigarette pack to get the headlight back on and smelling tobacca burning in the car...!!

12. outlaw256

outlaw256

that aint what i rememebr burnin in the car! lol

13. Growing up, I remember....

my Papaw (grandfather) who grew up before WWII, talking about the kids who grew up in the 50's and 60's being spoiled and not knowing the good things in life.

And I remember him also talking about how his parents (who settled the area in wagons when they were young) talked about how kids who grew up in the 20's and 30's were spoiled and didn't know about the good things in life.

And I remember my Nanny (grandmother) talking about sitting on her grandfather's knee, and him talking about how the kids who grew up after the Civil War were spoiled and didn't know about the good things in life.

14. Deuces

Deuces

Nothing like mother nature's finest!!...:):D:)

15. Me too. :D:D:D

"Well I spent all of that day and the rest of that night trying to find my brother Bill. I finally found him 'bout six the next mornin', naked singin on the wind mill. Said he flew up there, I had to fly up and get him he was about half crazy . . ."
    ================================================================
    "I'll tell you what growing up I remember being able to remember anything whether it happened or not."Mark Twain

16. fsae0607

fsae0607

PAW catalogs and their badass showrrom in Northridge.

Bought a load of parts there back in the day.

17. Just wish I could remember anything even yesterday.:(

18. 296ardun

296ardun

Glad this thread is back up...I got to ride in the KRL"A"...was on leave from the Navy and decided to spectate at Irwindale, the "A" was there, driven by Steve Lacatos, who had crewed on the car in my avatar...told me he had built it, and gave me a ride in the pits, think they were there supporting Doug Robinson's fueler that KRLA sponsored.....wasn't the KRLA studios in the Huntington Hotel in Pasadena??

19. 296ardun

296ardun

Me too, Seth Miller's Union 76 station on calif blvd in Pasadena, full service (there was no other kind then)...checked tires, oil, washed windshields, and filled batteries with what we told you was distilled water (!)

20. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Ducktails, DAs, Flat Tops with Skirts, and Jelly Rolls.

21. Ha I had a Jelly Roll the summer of '69. Did it just to screw with the "Cool Jocks".
    For some of you fellas it is like a cross between a Flat Top with Fenders and a Pompadour, more like a Pimp-adour ;)

22. fnla39

fnla39

Riding around with my Dad in his 52 Chevy truck (which I still have), and his arm as the seabelt when we stopped to fast.

Selling Rosebud Salve and Grit door to door, wouldn't let kids do that now.

Pouring used motor oil from my Dads Mack treck on the dirt road in fron of the house to keep the dust down.

Going with my Grandfather to sit in front of the Courthouse and whittle, and him laughing when I cut mself.

23. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I remember all of these had family and friends I watched race at Westboro The Mamoth Mart that opened in the 70s in Putnam Ct. had a full restaurant in it! remember shopping at the first Ames Store in an old mill in Southbridge as well.

24. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

hahahaha, man that's funny yet it's the truth.

25. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

One of those things that one day you suddenly realize "What happen to those" all utility poles had L shaped rungs that started about 10 feet off the ground up to the wire cross bars. When lineman used spurs you would get arrested and fined for "Tresspass" out here if you were caught stapling/nailing anything to a utility pole because it could injure a lineman trying to climb a pole.The law is still in effect but no longer pushed.

26. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

A few things I remember and miss is the Sears Wish Book, those old comic books like Archie, Richie Rich, Hot Stuff, Sad Sack, Baby Huey, and those trading stamps (Blue Chip Stamps in my case). Man, I used to collect those stamps like crazy and I used to get some really cool things like a telescope, walkie talkies, slot car set. The Blue Chip catalog was just as much fun to look through as the Sears Wish Book.

27. mow too much

mow too much

Picking up pop bottles and cashing them in to buy fireworks, the Fourth of July was a big thing for a kid back in the 50's and early 60's, the same with the State Fair.

28. Deuces

Deuces

Anyone remember "Bazooka Joe" bubble gum???
    The wife picked me up a box at a bulk foods store here in town... They are now made in Mexico...:rolleyes:

29. I remember way back 45 years ago when my father or grandfather would drive up to a filling station run over the bell hose (ding ding) and two or three guys would run out and start checking oil and tires and washing windows and pumping the gasoline. They had these little coin change makers on their belt. Tires on display were wrapped up in foil or paper and cans of oil would be stacked neatly on the shelves. Those were full service fuel stations. TM

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012