Register now to get rid of these ads!

what year did?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57ford/60thunderbird, Dec 6, 2012.

1. what year did ford start producing the C6 trans ?

what auto trans would be behind a 64/65 390 in a car? if not the C6

2. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I believe 64 would have the MX CRUISE-O-MATIC and the c6 came out in 65 or 66

3. ibuild

ibuild

i had a 66 fairlane with a 390 and a c6 i think it was the first year, that was in 66 and my brain doesn't work as good as it used to my first new car and my second car

4. i've always thought that the 6 meant 1966

5. This should answer your question

The Ford C6 is a heavy-duty automatic transmission built by Ford Motor Company between 1966 and 1996. Compared to its predecessor MX transmission, the C6 offered lower weight, complexity, and parasitic power loss and greater torque capacity for larger engines, without exceeding the packaging dimensions of the MX. These design goals were in line with those of the C4 for smaller engines.

To cut down on weight and cost, the C6 featured a simple, three speed Simpson planetary gearset as well as over 10 lb (4.5 kg) of powdered metal. To aid in shift quality and long time durability, it was the first automatic transmission designed to use the Borg-Warner flexible shift band.

The C6 was used in trucks and cars with larger engines. Five different bell housing varieties exist for use with various Ford engine families:

The Windsor pattern was used on the 300 I6, the Ford Windsor engines and the 351 Cleveland.
    The Cleveland pattern was used on the 351M and 400 versions of the Ford Cleveland engines and all of the Ford "385" engines.
    The FE pattern was used on the FE engines
    The rare 66 - 68 Lincoln MEL 462 pattern which was used on 66 - 68 Lincoln Continentals with the 462 engine and also on 68 - 70 Lincoln Continentals with the 460. This pattern rounds off on the passenger side to clear the heat/AC box on the 66 - 70 Lincoln firewall.
    Diesel pattern. This was similar to the FE/"385" pattern but the two are not interchangeable.

The transmission is very popular in the sport of drag racing today, with units equipped with manual valve bodies and transbrakes, some of which are air shifted. It is also widely used in off-road applications due to its reputation of being nearly indestructible. It does, however, have a reputation of greatly reducing performance as well as fuel mileage, due to the amount of power it requires to operate.

Applications:

6. ok thanks for the info i have one more dumb question is the MX trans the same as the FMX?

7. "The Ford C6 is a heavy-duty automatic transmission built by Ford Motor Company between 1966 and 1996."

if the above is true ................ then how is it with all due respect that my 65 galixie with a 390 has the cruise-o-matic C-6 trans in it , (factory ordered in early 64 by my grandparents) thanks ,

8. Ole don

Ole don

I worked on the line that built those cars. Rule number one, there are no rules. Both transmissions were used interchangably. It must have had something to do with other options on the car.

9. ya the only things it didnt get for options im told and the build sheet shows was no power windows and no F.M. radio thanks for the info and the sidetrack guys

10. 58_Ford

58_Ford
    from Phoenix

MX/FX
    The original versions, known internally as MX (larger) and FX (smaller);

FMX
    An improved version called FMX, which used stronger MX-type rotating parts in the smaller FX case; introduced in 1968 and built until 1982 at the Fairfax plant, which closed when the FMX was balanced out. The FMX used a Ravineaux planetary gearset.

1. The small case (from 1951 to 1966).
    2. The medium case (from 1955 to 1968).
    3. The FMX (from 1967 to 1979).
    First year for C6 was 1966- Early 66 was dual range late 66 was select shift.