Register now to get rid of these ads!

trying to reconnect with a shoebox from the late 50's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by creepjohnny, Aug 19, 2012.

1. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

hey guys, I'm posting this up for a friend of mine. I was good friends with his pops and he always told us about his shoebox ford he owned in the late 50's. sadly he passed a year ago and his son (my friend) found pics of his dad and the ford. His name was Dan Norris. so we are trying to find it. It was a mild custom with pinstriping by non other than Von Dutch himself. california plate reads HBF 628. His dad was from Nebraska and moved out here when he was young. any info on this car of its where abouts or current owner would be a huge deal to the family. thanks for your help!!
    PS. The story he told me about the gold pinstriping, he took the car to VonDutch and asked for red and white pinstriping to match his red rims and whitewalls. VonDutch asked him to walk to the local liquor store and get him a big bottle of wine. When he returned the pinstriping was done in gold! He said thats not what he wanted and it doesn't match. VonDutch then said "well paint your rims gold and it will match, now get out of my shop"!
    He repainted his rims and the rest is history. He didn't have any pics of the dash but Dan said Von Dutch painted dolphins jumping in and out of his dash like water and he did little footprints that went across the dash and into the glovebox and out the other side and into the door jams.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Anyone seen or know this car?

3. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

4. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Interesting car and story.... Was he from the Sunland area as well? I used to live out your way in Tujunga for years BTW.

5. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Oh cool! He was from the La Canada area. His kids didn't even know the story about this car until I told them. I don't think they knew much about his car history cause they weren't into old cars as much as he was. I have been since high school and used to pick his brain about the cars he owned. Wish I could have gotten more!
    Sunland still has some nice cars here and there, usual group still goes to Troy burger. The old Rudy's beanpot crew.
    Some other old timers are hanging at del taco by the do it center in the mornings.
    I'm from la crescenta. Seems like everyone moves to Sunland cause its cheaper ;-)

6. cafekid

cafekid

Very cool Box. My Dad knew Dutch and he has some stories of guys he saw telling Dutch what they wanted. From the stories he told the jobs always ended completely different than what was requested.

7. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Haha yeah I've heard those funny stories as well. Dutch did what he wanted but I guess he had "the vision"

8. jazzbum

jazzbum

Man, I never saw those shots of the shoebox before. So bitchin'.

9. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Heh Matt, yeah Dan was way way cooler than We thought! Haha
    L

10. jazzbum

jazzbum

Didn't get much cooler than that guy--I'll never forget that one cruise we took in the blue Dodge with Bach blasting on the 8-track. Major dude.

11. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Good times with that ol charger

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool ride and story -problem is that if it is still on the road likely has been modified over the years so, that it could be right in front of you and you would not recognize it.

13. richie rebel

richie rebel

cool story,and nice shoebox..........

14. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

That's a dope little Shoebox, I am sure some numbnuts painted over it since...ugh.

15. codeblu

codeblu

Wicked Packard...

16. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

That packard was his uncles I believe. Not sure what happened to either car. If I recall correctly he parked the shoebox with his sister or his aunt and she gave it away while he was in the army!!! Thos was in the 60's. So he didn't even even get to say goodbye or see a penny from this ride. Kinda sad story in a way

17. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

I think he said it had a flathead with 2 or 3 carbs. Cable pull cut outs and skinny pipes in the bumpers and actual working spotlights.

18. jazzbum

jazzbum

there's no paperwork anywhere? what about running the plate number from the photos?

19. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

No paperwork. Trying to get a plate run is difficult. Need to come up with a good convincing story to tell the clerk at aaa or dmv