Register now to get rid of these ads!

283 in 1949 plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurts49plym, Nov 12, 2012.

1. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

OK, I followed the threads, and one person mentioned that it's an easy swap, just use chevy 265 exhaust manifolds. Well, I've had the rebuilt 283 4 speed in the corner in the garage and decided to use it. However, now after purchasing the 265 manifolds there is no hope to making them fit because of the driver side fenderwell. I suppose there was a little fact left out that in order to use them one has to hack the fenderwell apart? Did you remove the heater box? Please, no stupid comments about using mopar engines in an old mopar. This is a hot rod website. Any comments from others that have performed the swap very welcome please. Thanks much, Kurt

2. Post some pics if you can. Do they clear the steering box without offsetting the engine?

3. barney rubble

barney rubble

I have seen this done with a reworked drivers side manifold. It was cut and rewelded to clear the steering box. I am pretty sure the pass side was just one of the ram horns we always called them with the center dump.

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

Ask Glendale what he did... he's got a 49 plymouth with a sbc in it!

5. n847

n847

Yes pics please! I've got a 47, and I thought your firewall was about the same as mine. I've got an SBC in mine and the heater box I have was mounted inside the engine compartment. As for the 265 manifolds I'd have to see what you have I've got some type of what I believe are mid 60's passenger car manifolds on mine but the engine is off set to the passenger side and its still really tight on the gear box!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can try to get a picture of the clearance between the exhaust manifold and the steering box for you. The one in my build thread is pretty crappy. Again I'm not sure exactly what the difference between your fire wall and mine is but it isn't too bad of a fit. I had to wack the firewall a little bit to clear the taller or finned valve covers a little better, but nothing too severe.

6. On the 52 on the heater side I cut the lower side back three inchs on the driverside I didnt have any issues. go to my album in my profile and look at the shots. your going to have a issue with starter location, and manifold dump area. also you will see the area where the trans pan sits leaves little room for the pipes to run. it can be done but you will need to rase the motor up in the bay But there is alot of room when done that way. I think Glendale on this page has a 350 in his 52 Ply. lets us see the picks as you go forward Bob

7. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

Will upload a couple pics tomorrow. It appears I will have to cut the shelf on the driver side to make the 265 exhaust manifold fit. Pass side looks ok. No way will a center dump manifold work with the steering box. I can dress up the fenderwell so hopefully it won't look too bad. I removed the rear cross member. It looks like I will fab up some front mount and bellhousing mounts for a 55-57 chevy . Thanks, will keep adding pics. Next is find a rear end with drum brakes.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

On swaps like this it can help to offset the engine away from the steering and inch or 2.

9. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

I just read too that I will need to move the radiator forward which I didn't know. I may also now relieve the firewall to move the engine back a little more (see pic). Boy, this is doable, but not a slam dunk at all. Will take some serious fab work. Thanks for the link to the other plymouth website that will be most helpful. Kurt

Attached Files:

10. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

I took to cutting the firewall. Once cut, one of the most valuable tools is cutting a sheet metal template from poster type board thick paper. The firewall was also relieved for an HEI distributor. Relieving the firewall allows the engine to further go back so relocation of the radiator isn't needed. I had to cut a relief in the floor to get clearance for the trans. This was needed to get the correct angles, and to clear the steering box. The 265 exhaust manifolds will work nice. The front motor mounts are fabbed in, and look crooked in the picture, but are set perfectly. 55/57 rear bellhousing mounts are used on the early bellhousing too. The mount for the trans is 1-1/2x.25 wall steel tube. So far it's been fun fabbing up everything. The 9 inch rear from a 86 ford van will be perfect cut down to exactly what I want. It has a 3.00 ratio, which is what I wanted. Because of commuting to work 2 hr + 8.5 work hrs I don't get much time for this, but I'll keep posting when I can. 283, sp2p manifold, 600 holley, bw 4 speed 3. something first gear. . I will be grinding off the front drum rivets for mag wheels. Anyone done that? Thanks, Kurt

Attached Files:

11. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

12. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

Opps, forgot to attach the couple pics

Attached Files:

13. I don't feel so bad now. Dropped a 350 in my 49' with no where near this much fab work. Looks like it's coming together though!

14. ...nice job, keep posting

15. lawman

lawman

Well ,I see two different set's of manifold's pictured here. One is a
    set of "Ram horn's" from 1957 on up. The other is a set from 55-56.
    One dump's from the center(57 up) and the other set(55-56) does
    not. Maybe someone is confused about which type to use or maybe
    I'm missing something. It could be me because at 69 year's old this
    year missing something is something I do everyday !!!! LOL