Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you carry a spare with tube type tires??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrap metal 48, Oct 19, 2011.

1. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Just wondering what you do if you have tube type tires.. Fix-a-flat does not work,does it?? Not much room in a model A.....

2. gas pumper

gas pumper

No.

And the best you could do with no spare is a tube patch kit or a new tube and fix it on the side of the road. Kinda easy to break the bead because there is no safety lip on the old rims.

The slime shit might work if the rim held air, didn't leak around the rivets or spokes.

3. what bolt patteren? 5 on 5 1/2 Ford or what?....carry a donut spare if you can.....

4. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Two or three tire bars in my trunk, spare tube and a hand pump...

Tire bars are easy to find at swap meets if you need some..

Cheap insurance.. I just read a cool book called "eight women, two model t's". Back in the day ladies had it going on...

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Just like to revive this thread to see if there are any fresh ideas on the subject...

6. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

I carry a full-size spare, but no jack or tire iron. Got to love us Minnesoota Norwegians.

7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

are you talking around town or on a trip? On a trip i would take a patch kit, tube, a couple of tire bars, valve core tool and a pump of some kind. Hot rods attract people so there are bound to be good samaritans to let you use a jack.

8. chopped

chopped

Cell phone, credit card, AAA membership.Takes up very little space.

9. Fenders

Fenders

Let's see.....
    different size tires front and rear.....
    different bolt pattern front and rear.....
    Model A coupe , no room.......
    Answer:
    Nope I don't carry a spare. I carry a roadhelp card and a cell phone. And have good tires on my wheels.

edit to say:
    Chopped said it with fewer words.

10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I always have a spare tire since the 1992 when I hooked up with my ex wife

11. ibuild

ibuild

i have a donut spare in my 34, not enough room in the roadster, it has spoke wheels so they have tubes i am out of luck

12. Brucekoukalaka

Brucekoukalaka
    BANNED

My '53 R130 has a very good original jack, lug wrench and a spare however I also will be carrying a tube repair kit. Just to cover all the bases I also have in my tools a couple of tire irons and a bead axe.

13. Have not had one, I like living on the edge! I did just buy a wheel for a spare. Hope to get it painted and a tire on it before spring.

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I've mounted many tires and tubes on my Harbor Freight manual tire changer but never used tire irons.. Are they easy enough to fix a flat on the side of the rode for an 'old man'??

15. Brucekoukalaka

Brucekoukalaka
    BANNED

I can change a tire in about the same time a guy with a tire machine can. My '53 'Binder came with 6 bias ply tires that were in very rough condition. Mind you this old truck has 3 piece rims so after I break them down I just have to peel the lock ring off. I have used the irons on other rims and found it is not that difficult to use them after the bead has been broken.

16. Cymro

Cymro

What does a bead axe look like, I can't recall ever seeing one, I've borrowed and used a slide hammer style bead breaker in the past plus the dodge with a wheel, lowering the car so it's weight breaks the bead an a wheel on the floor, out of desperation I've seen a garden spade/shovel used as a bead breaker to remove scrap tyres .

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I haven't had a flat in 15 years. I've actually been stranded more often by battery, alternator or generator failure than flat tires.

Carrying a spare is a relic of the Model T days.