Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front Model A crossmember?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ty johnson, Dec 2, 2012.

1. ty johnson

ty johnson

Hey guys, pretty much got all my sheet metal back on my 28 Tudor. I really wish the front was another inch lower. Here is my set up. 36 axle dropped my 296V8, reverse eyed 2" drop Posie spring. Running 145/15's as well. I was thinking of flattening the front crossmember to gain that 1". I'd like for the tire to be in the fender just a little more.
    [​IMG]

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Definitely need at least another inch or two!! I like them tucking that front tire a bit!

3. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I plan to do the same to my A crossmember too. '34 axle dropped 4", reversed eyes, but nothing else. That sucker is gonna come down whether it takes me a day or 5.

Slice away!!

4. ty johnson

ty johnson

I've had the radiator and hood on as well. How much travel should it have. I don't want to be knocking on the bottom of the frame, or would i have to notch that as well.

5. ty johnson

ty johnson

This is what i want :cool:
    [​IMG]

6. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Speedway has a front X-member that drops the front end 2".

7. hotrod327

hotrod327
    from Orygun

you might look into the possibilty of a mono leaf...eliminates a lot of the spring stack height

8. lowelife

lowelife

A 1" drop crossmember won't hit the frame. I was told that the 2" may require notching of the outer frame rails.

9. A Rodder

A Rodder

how did you get the back so low?

10. ty johnson

ty johnson

Has a small step on the frame like Tardell's with coil overs(cheated). A flattened crossmember is my only solution i believe. Looked for some threads and only found a couple. Still up in the air.

11. A Rodder

A Rodder

12. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

After you start driving it will settle about an inch without doing anything.

13. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

You need to be aware of the tires hitting the fenders when they are turned, my avatar tires rubbed on the fenders when they were turned. The width of the axle and fender clearance will come into play, they will rub on the fender at the back of the tire.

14. oj

oj

It'll come down more, don't panic. It takes a while to settle, how much you drop the axle? And, like another said, when you get low enough there is a different axle width for tire clearance inside the fender.
    I did the 2" posies on a '32 and it took a couple months to settle in.

15. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

You should have got a dropped axle or you can have yours dropped, i,d leave the x member alone. There bad about cracking anyway

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1, I'd be wanting to have it all together and drive it a bit first to see if it settles out some. It looks like you are still missing a few hundred pounds off the car that might bring it down a bit more.

17. A lot of guys don't care for the reverse eye mono spring,,personally I like them and it comes with shims that you can rearrange to drop the front lower. HRP

18. Another warning, the headlight bar bolts hit my tires, put carriage bolts in through the bottom with SS acorn nuts on top to keep it from gouging the tire in an autocross corner (or when doing doughnuts).

You can always add a spacer when it's all together, it's much harder to flatten the crossmember later.

19. What these guys said. Get it together, drive it. You will be amazed at what may or may not change.

20. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I took the top two leaves out of my Posies spring to get an extra inch with no problems with a rough ride or bottoming out.

You might consider this before cutting the crossmember out. It's cheap and easy:)

Along with the added weight of the finished car, the natural settling that occurs after being driven a little the removal of a leaf or two, you'll have it sitting lower without spending any money.

21. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yep.

22. Rusty Cheese

Rusty Cheese

Attached Files: