Register now to get rid of these ads!

starting a 32 Ford build.... need advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evobuilder, Dec 1, 2012.

1. evobuilder

evobuilder

I am starting a new project... want to build a 32 coupe. Nothing fancy.... small block Ford, 2 seats, no fenders, 2 or 3" chop steel body, low stance. That's about it... just a nice (AND NOT A RAT) driver. I have never owned anything pre 1956 (cars, and have built many motorcycles, old and new, so building does not concern me at all), so deciding to build a 32 is going to take some research, so I am starting here. I want to build one, not buy one, and have a couple questions...

has anyone used a TCI chassis? What experiences have you had? Is there a better route? I know stock stuff is really hard to come by, so aftermarket is probably going to be the way to go.

My plan is to build from the ground up, chassis, then drive train, then body, etc.

This is not a show build, I have no interest in dropping 30 grand into it, just want to build a nice driver without breaking the bank.

Any advice on getting started would be appreciated.

2. going to be hard not to drop 30k + with a steel 32 coupe body!

3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

TCI does quality work, the problem with their 32 chassis is they use fabricated rails instead of stamped, so they don't have the nice rounded top & bottom edges like a stock frame would have.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

A real steel '32 for less than 30K? Nothing fancy? I'd watch.

5. evobuilder

evobuilder

ok, ok.... probably won't do be able to do steel for a budget build, may have to settle for glass body. We'll see what happens.... I really appreciate any tips on getting this thing going. TCI does seem like a good way to go... but hoping to hear others opinions and maybe even finding other options.

6. I would suggest making a list of the major components along with what you expect they will cost. Post it here for comments.

Charlie Stephens

7. evobuilder

evobuilder

ok... looking more for direction, tips and advice rather than if I know what things will cost, but sure... why not

• TCI complete chassis is about 10K (their may be better options, hoping to get some advice)
    • motor, trans, etc. (I already have)
    • body - unknown (Steel BIG dollars, glass... around 5-8g (maybe less if used)
    • electrical, driveshaft, interior, shifter, etc of course will cost what it costs (a lot of this, I already have, can make myself or source from swapmeets)
    • Wheels and tires... again, costs what it costs
    I don't expect to build this for 5 grand, but would like to avoid dropping 30-40 if at all possible. But hell.... I don't put a price on my bike builds, why would I do it on my car builds. Its about the love of cars, not about what it costs.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd start looking at chassis or full projects guys are trying to sell, you may get a good deal on a starter kit. Bob

9. Tony

Tony

A steel 32 can be built for under 30K IF you are not in a hurry..it takes a lot of time to locate everything on a budget..i know because i'm doing it now, and my car is WELL under the 30K mark, and will be when done too.
    BUT, i've also had years of collecting parts for it..
    Anyway,
    I'm not familiar with TCI's chassis's so i can't comment aside from i know a few guy's who have used them with no complaints, but there are also a number of shop's/guy's out there that build a real nice 32 frame, set up exactly how you would want it.
    May not hurt to do some looking at some of them as well to compare.
    I just have a feeling the 10K spent on a TCI set up may be able to get you a chassis and then some going with a smaller shop.

I'd thumb through the HAMB-o-dex for starters and see who's building 'em.

Best of luck. hope you get started soon and post progress when ya do.

Tony

10. ibuild

ibuild

you might want to rethink, nothing wrong with a model a and easily buildable in your budget, nothing wrong with a 32 but they are a little on the high side, build what you want enjoy the build and it will all work out, i build my frames out of 2 by 3 tubeing, that is a big saving, use a model a front crossmember and what ever you wantin the rear, good luck

11. pitman

pitman

I'd also consider something like a '32 Chevy 5-window. The difference in prices might help out. Deuce Fords are in their own stratosphere. Something will come up when you and friends are on the lookout.

12. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

look into socal frames and bodys they have a nice roadster and not a bad price call lasvegas socal speed shop speek to lenny jr he is a good guy he will send you a catalog. brookville is expensive but they have a coupe. my advice to you is to buy a 32 in the car trader and then make the changes you want, reason i say this is becouse you may think building will be aforable but its not everything for these cars is so expensive. Im building one from scratch out of a wreck of a body and frame but it is so much work it my kill me before i drive it. i whish i would have bought somone elses 32 and then fixed it up to my likeing. I think i would be enjoying it longer. I have had mine for 7 years and been collecting parts and working on it. the car is still in mock up still body working to get the body to fit. If i started with a good car i would be driving it now. lets just say you found a 32 in running shape for 15 - 20 thousand you would be half way there. with a brookville body frame your looking at 60 thousand with out a motor intreior or anything else your looking at 125 thousand by the time your done i know your not looking to build a show car but my piont is that buying some elses car is not such a bad idea. if you still want to build from ground up then put together a list of parts on paper then go to speedway.com and price out those items in a shopping cart as if you were to buy then go to checkout and look at your total it is a great way to see how much it would cost to build it. i know some things you can make your self and you can always find bargins at the flea markets im just saying you can get a good idea to start. the one thing about these cars that is expensive is the frame,body,grill,hood,trunk,doors,front suspention,and trim, glass. just think about that because the rear and the motor for a simple driver are cheap. if you buy one already together the easy part it changing the things you dislike about about it. so check out the old car trader. good sites to check out are speedway, joblot, snyders, socal speed shop, you can find them on the internet. thats my advice. I whish i knew some one with a body. my dad has a 32 chevy body in peices he may sell but i know you want a ford.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  13. I would use Cornhusker Street Rods or Pete & Jakes over a TCI any day,I don't like the retangular tubing TCI uses for its xmembers. And Cornhusker and P&J are alot closer to me.

14. evobuilder

evobuilder

I am totally open to a model a, 32 chevy, even building a frame, all great advice, keep it coming. I don't mind glass either... since its just for my cruiser, I am not looking to hit some perfectionist scale for this build. Its the joy of the build (and the hunt) I am all about. and no... I am in no hurry.

Thanks for all the advice.... keep it coming, I really appreciate it.

Thank you HAMB!

15. It is hard to beat the quality and price of a Kiwi Konnection 32 chassis. Google it and the give Duane a call. They have good quality glass bodies also. You won't be dissapointed.

16. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

yo dude not to sound like a cotton headed nitty muggins but fiber glass will always be fiber glass. in other words the car will not have any ghost. there is nothing like feel of real steel. history is the soul of a 32 ford. there is nothing wrong with a fiber glas 32 but if deep down inside if you want steel then build a steel car you will be glad you did. the feeling of the way the metal shakes and rattles is what a hot rod is all about.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  17. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

was just thinking of somthing I think socal sells just frame rails you can buy the front crossmember and make your own crossmembers for the center and rear

18. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Fixed it for ya...REAL has little to do with fiberglass or steel these days...repro is repro to a purist.
    That somehow gets lost between steel or fiberglass reproduction bodies these days.

If you're trying to get away a bit cheaper in your build you should be able to buy a good fiberglass project to play with for a good price.
    Nothing wrong with glass if you want a fun car to drive.
    You MIGHT even get someone elses project with most of the parts you need for cents on the dollar.
    (Steel Brookville and the like repro bodies are HOT right now so finding one of those used and cheap might be a task in itself.)

Combine that with what you have...sell off the doubled up parts and you have a real good chance of getting on the road fast and CHEAP! ;)

19. hi guys, I'm trying to sell/trade my 32 5 window. I would dare anyone to put the pile of parts that it takes to build mine in the middle of the shop floor, add up the price of all those parts and see where the asking price for the up and running car is. Point being, you cannot build one for what you can buy one for. Buy it complete or partially complete, make the changs you want, this may include a total rebuild, at least you have all the parts. It's way more fun for me to drive my hotrod to swap meets.

Fenderless

20. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

It's taken me 40 years of messing with old fords to finally get a decent 32 5 window project,but i've enjoyed the journey .You need to be honest with yourself with regard to how much time and money you will be able to devote to a project and what time frame you can accept from start to finish without losing interest.Also,if the car doesn't have to be a 32 ford to make you happy you can get alot more car for a lot less money and have a better starting point.I would venture to say that if you are careful and do most of the work yourself you could build a complete model a coupe for what it would cost to buy just a steel 32 ford coupe body,i know because i've done it.If you search the hamb you will find tons of cool model A's built in different styles.
    Another thing to consider is how much grief you may have to go through in your state to register a car built on an aftermarket chassis. In my state,stamping a frame with a vin that you purchased from someone is a FELONY ! I know it's commonly done but your taking a risk by doing it and it can effect resale by a knowledgable buyer so check the laws in your state before spending big money on an aftermarket chassis. If you buy a complete model a (or any legit old car) it will (should) have a factory # which will make registration much easier. I personally would not invest a substantial amount of time and money in building a car without a factory #,but that's just me (lessons learned after years of building old Harley's,which are notorious for having tattooed numbers) just my 2 cts.Bob

21. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Ok hackerbilt you have made your point I am a cotton headed nitty muggins. if you read my post carefully you would see that i am not cutting up on fiberglass cars. this is not a bashing im am stating that. when ford put there cars and trucks in production the people who built them have there sweat on them. the people who bought them coceived their kids in them. and the poeple who kept them safe from the junk yard kept them becouse they are beutiful works of art and knew that the cars and trucks could be saved. history saved. you can change the word fiberglass to reproduction but the word reproduction would mean steel not fiberglass. becouse steel is what they were made of.

I love fiber glass I worked in a glass shop for seven years building kits. I also think that fiberglass cars are a great way to keep hot rodding alive. I my self would build a fiber glass car. I somtimes whish I did I would probly driving my car already, but im in it to save and old car with ghosts but thats me. My advice is this, if you find a good deal on a glass car then buy it and put the car together and drive it remember you can always pick up an old body fix it up and and then transfer the body I know lots of people that have done just that. dont let steel hold you back. that old rusty barn find is out there you may come accross it at the most unlikely time. A friend of mine in delaware has a model a roadster with a glass body he has been driving for 3 years, he just found a ford body and is now in the process of restoration he has plans to sell fiberglass body when he is done. would you be intrested in it? I could put out the word

22. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

I 2nd Kiwi Konnection 32 chassis and i got my body there also. Good stuff and a nice guy to boot.

23. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Having been a 32 Ford owner for 30 plus years, I would suggest you contact Gary ... at Cornhuskers. He is very knowledgeable about 32 Fords, has built many 32 Ford chassis and he is also a member here on the HAMB.

I have seen his work and it is nice. He also has the dreaded " DEUCE FEVER " and owns 32 Fords.

http://cornhuskerrodandcustom.net/Pages/AboutUs.aspx

:D

24. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

I would say because you live on the west coast,check out dwain at kiwi konection,thay have good stuff at a good price.thay are on the west coast.you and a buddy and a 3day road trip could go down and pick up the parts,meet sum kiwis,make sum memory a grate start to a grate build..

25. Andy

Andy

I would suggest something besides the Ford engine. They require a bit more of firewall set back and room in a 32 is small to start with. SBC or RED RAM Dodge fit better.

26. RE: fenderless freddy.....the truck in my avatar

27. clamdgr41

clamdgr41
    from maine

i did a rolling 32 on fiberglass about 5 years ago for 9000.00 was on stamped rails model a style front end four link rear small block chevy i sold it for 8500 so you can do it

28. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

As others have said the T.C.I. frame is constructed from welded plate and consequently the external radius looks to small to my eye compared to the stamped rails available from ASC and others. Not saying that T.C.I. doesn't make a fine product. I think Cornhusker and Kiwi Connection were mentioned, I have no experience with Cornhusker but have seen Kiwi Connection frames and they are very good. From personal experience I would recommend that you contact Gary Maxwell at BlackBoard Hot Rods in Bakersfield, CA 661-205-1190. His work is excellent and he is super to deal with.

29. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

i wasn't giving you a hard time man...just including everything that isn't original into your spiel. LoL

I don't think you're "cotton headed" either...although you do kinda resemble a "nitty muggins"!!! :D:D:D

30. turdytoo

turdytoo