Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1954 gmc first build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jordabennett, Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. got those stubborn bearings out and replaced them and the seal. reassembled the diff and links. gave everything a quick coat of paint. need to get the brake lines done tomorrow and get the cab back on. need to notch the k member so I'm going to cut that pipe in half and use a part of that. i with most likely change the rear to a "loop" style as well. got my valve covers today too. can't wait to see what its all going to look like!! Not to sure if I'm fond of the shinny glossy paint, might paint everything satin black for the frame. don't think it suits the style. diff cover is to much gold i think too, what do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

god i hate those ugly ass BLUE bushings

[15][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Well after looking at it today i realized how ugly the gloss black was, so i pulled it out into the sun and got some new paint on it. about 6 cans of krylon satin black, leaves a great finish. mixed two different colours for the callipers. brake line and fuel lines tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. davo461

davo461

New paint looks ace, especially the diff!
    Great job, all around, congratulations on the present state of things.
    BTW, are your rear control rods parallel, on a horizontal aspect? Just wonderin'.

4. thanks man. nice to see people are enjoying is thus far.
    bottom links are parallel to each other and to the ground. upper have a 15 degree slop.

5. Ran the front and rear brake lines today added a prop valve in the rear may not need it but i was sitting right there so why not. got the body and motor back in to double check clearances with floor headers etc. seems to be A-okay.
    still have to notch the main k-member for the dshaft and then its on the brake assembly and steering shaft.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. 1badbaker

1badbaker

Looking very good, very nice progress. like the stance.

7. thanks eh

8. Had some things going on these past few days so i havnt got much done, but today i was able to cut the rear crossmember and notch it out. disassembled the motor and painted it. it went together and then back part as i couldn't make up my mind with paint. intake and brackets and alternator were black and then painted in silver. still don't know if i quite like the pulleys/alt/ brackets yet. what do you guys think? maybe gold intake and aluminum pulleys?
    of course while painting the headers white the can pooched on me and quit working :mad: air tank sitting maybe where she will go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i mixed a gold and dark burnt orange. did high lights around the heads to give it a different look. in the sun it looks cool.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. orula

orula

Great job man, congratulations :) [​IMG]

10. great threat . thanks for sharing

11. davo461

davo461

That looks really good,keep up the good work! Great thread and great pictures.
    Davo.

12. Great fab work! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

13. well got a few things done today, finished up the rear brake lines ran fuel lines and tranny lines as well. made it look clean and nik stopped by and gave me the idea to paint the fins. so i got with a dark shade and light shade. made it look great. and finished the white headers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to shinny! need rust!! :D

14. davo461

davo461

Love that 'mirror shot'!(And all the goodies)
    Davo.

15. pretty darn good for 4 weeks, part time, work... good on you Jordan

16. thanks old man, ill see you tomorrow?

17. Getting closer. Got the body on and mounted. bed on and 'sitting' wanted to see how everything was going to line up. notched out the bed for the axle.. layed the fenders again the body just to see what it should look like..put in the new mallory distributor i got from Nik seems to fit well! also got the brake assembly fitted and mounted, and shot over to a friends place a scored a 53 chevy steering coloum for free, nice a simple just how i wanted it, cut and fitted that aswell. temporary mounted with exhaust clamp. and i may just keep it there, seems to do the job, Now to find a gold flake steering wheel...
    more to come tomorrow....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And last but not least... while at martins place i walked through the yard and found some cool stuff, little old town display he made and this crazy badge art piece!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

love how awesome your frame and engine has come out.

that emblem car is nuts!

19. davo461

davo461

Jordan, that pickup looks seriously serious! Great work. I'm hangin out to see it on the road.(maybe you are too!)
    Davo.

20. GBchev

GBchev
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

Jordan bro truck looks good I should be swinging by soon to check it out

21. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Man, I am super jealous. You have some awesome skills!

22. good seeing yeah man, and thanks for the shirt.
    greasy bastards!

23. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

"still don't know if i quite like the pulleys/alt/ brackets yet. what do you guys think?"

I like the color, the high lights, but I would black the alternator pulley to match the rest of the pullies ( carry the same theme) and I would either black the alternator brackets to make the top one "dissapear" or I would hack it up and mabey shoot a small triangulated support over and paint it black , leaving the chopped top front pieces silver and hide the fabbed support in black. looks great overall!

24. Been getting a little more done, installed the bearing in bottom of the steering shaft and tacked a washer on the bottom. got some new steering ujoints and mocked everything up and a heim joint for a stabilizer. just need one more jam nut for it. mocked up a gas pedal and trottle assembly. added a carb spacer, and added some brass line i got at the swap meet.. hoses look kinda cool now. pretty much need to get it painted to put it all together. and last night found a truck for my buddy daryl so we had a exchange with truck and deals and he ended up with this sweet 28 p/u with a bb 460.. i love it. also had to get valve cover spacers because of the intake and how it came right into the valve cover spacer. yes i may have been able to mill the intake but this was a quick and an fix.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

swap this..

[​IMG]

for this..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Installed the new B&M hot rod shifter. really like the way its put together and half the price as a lokar one i will be making my own handle and getting it up high near the roof, installed a new lokar kick down cable and started the exhaust will be putting in some old school glass packs and kicking it out somewhere not to sure where yet. Delivered the body and panels over to a buddy Daryl's place some a little body work and some paint. i can see the end... sorta....maybe.. not really.:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Can some one help me out. i need like a diagram for the air bags, not ones of google that are electronic. but one i can follow for manual air switches. two switch boxes from princess auto. one for the front anne one for the back.
    i drew this up just need to know where each line goes. anyone care to help?

[​IMG]

27. well i was able to get the body and panels over to daryls place and got some paint yesterday and all the prep shit, so started sanding away to roughin everything up and then got some plastic up and hung the fenders and started spraying, i had a respirator and was high as a fuckin kite. daryl pulled some more time and got everything sprayed after i left last night, now for some colour!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. Well i finished up the beginning of the exshaust and then got all the paint supplies. farted around and got the colour i like fully custom with alittle of this and alittle of that. she's one of a kind! and man oh man am i high as hell.
    turned out pretty good... one more coat and that should do it. it dries really nice with a satin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ANNNDDD grandma bought me a NEW welder!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so happy with it, seems the work great, its the 211 and has either 220 o 230v meaning paper thin it does the job and 1/2'' think it does the job, and the auto button is pretty cool too!!

29. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.