Register now to get rid of these ads!

TH 350 accumulator spring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Plyerz54, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Plyerz54

Plyerz54
    from Mpls

Does anyone know if anyone makes a lighter than stock accumulator spring for a TH 350 ? B&M asks to remove it with the kit I have , but I'm not comfortable doing so . I've heard that can create problems . I would like to try a lighter one in it's place though .

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I've heard of "stronger" ones, but never lighter. In fact, these break fairly often, so that may be the reason for heavier ones. I've also heard of using a piece of broom stick handle in it's place to block/lock it up (?). I have a replacement Sonnex spring, that's heavier, in my collection of HD parts for A TH350 I'll eventually put together. Deleting the spring would probably have the same effect as the broom stick trick. Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. Plyerz54

Plyerz54
    from Mpls

My understanding is that removing the spring makes the shifts harder , and from what I've heard in some cases to the point of damage . That's why it seemed logical a lighter spring would still produce slightly harder shifts , but hopefully lessen the possibility of damage . I find it hard to believe I'm the first to think of this ( although I am a genius ..... lol ) so I hoped someone knew where to get one .

4. All I know is that I broke a 350 transmission by leaving out aaccumulator spring resulting in shifting too hard,,almost like a drag racing transmission,,resulting in a broken gear. HRP

5. Larry T

Larry T

Which kit do you have?

6. Plyerz54

Plyerz54
    from Mpls

I'm actually making my own . drilling my stock plate , and using a sonnax line boosting valve.

7. Plyerz54

Plyerz54
    from Mpls

I guess the " search " is still on . I was hopeful that someone had done this , and knew where to get one . Appears I'm on my own .......

8. Mr4Speed

Mr4Speed

For a nice quick and firm second gear shift (not HARD like a B&M kit does) you will need "A" good accumulator spring, good line pressure, a good size feedhole in the seperator plate and good clearance in the clutch pack.

If you have those it doesn't matter what spring you have.

9. Larry T

Larry T

I've installed quite a few B&M Shift Kits in the past. It didn't take long to figure out the Heavy Duty set up was a LOT easier to live with than the Street/Strip set up.

But I realize that doesn't help on your accumulator spring question.

10. bigdav160

bigdav160

I have aways thrown them away. Never noticed that they shifted too hard.

11. birdman42

birdman42

I have blown more than sprag apart doing that. Throw the B/M shift kit away and use the Supieror shift kit. Most tranny shops should be able to get that for you. It makes the vehicle launch forward instead slamming.

12. Plyerz54

Plyerz54
    from Mpls

Your right Larry , guess maybe they don't exist . Just seemed like a logical solution .

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  13. It won't shift too hard if you don't jack up the line pressure excessively and leave the check ball out.
    Not very hard to try it with your combination.

Real world ? Yes, I have...Last one was a 455 wagon @4400 lbs. Towed my car trailer and ran 14.50's too, with a 2.73 rear