Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hallock Soft tops?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slimegreeeeeen, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROLLINGBONES 1A

ROLLINGBONES 1A

Hey we could use all the help we can get could tell us where this is a " LITTLE OFF " ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  2. racemad55

racemad55

Maybe the guy that made the windshield frame extensions fucked up ! Rick

3. ROLLINGBONES 1A

ROLLINGBONES 1A

Yup it's all your fault Rick . Ya should a seen they were a little off when you were making them.

4. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

OK...I saw the original post and now the new post. Rolling Bones build's great cars, no question. So as per the first post...... this "expert"...thinks some kind of "visor", or maybe an extension over the windshield posts.
    By the way, I have to think of a way to make a top for my rpu that I streched. So if I make a shit top let me have it! Your's, though cool, is just not right.

5. ROLLINGBONES 1A

ROLLINGBONES 1A

It's a small picture there is a hood over the windshield by the way IT"S RIGHT

6. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

just a little over the windshield........
    [​IMG] It would look righter.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  7. ROLLINGBONES 1A

ROLLINGBONES 1A

About 1 1/2 inches the windshield lays back at such an angle that it's deceiving in the picture.

8. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Rolling Bones 1a, this is not a pissing match. As I said, the stuff outa your shop is Top Notch. Your builds look like stuff I wish I could do. But please, do not call us homebuilders, so called "experts", in your terms,in such a derogitory (sp) way.
    I look at things a little different, but we both may be right.
    But hey,everyone, Rolling Bones, their builds ROCK!

9. Cerberus

Cerberus

I think if the header over the windshield extended a total of 3-1/4" over the windshield, enough to hide the upper part of the windshield frame, it would look much better. By doing this, the top would be longer and looking more proportional with the car. There is also a problem with the angle of the rear part of the top. It is not enough. Don't think the rag top allows for the right angles for a two-piece windshield like yours. All-in-all, the top looks as good as can be considering the limitations. Looks awkward/ungainly tho.

10. flash

flash

Howard, great to see you and your roadster on the HAMB! Your car is the one that originally inspired me to put a split windshield on my roadster (though I'm going with a boat windshield since I'm not ambitious enough to make my own).

11. ROLLINGBONES 1A

ROLLINGBONES 1A

I am just in aw of your obvious knowledge of proportion and expertise in style. Thank you so much for your insight I am going to rip it off and start over now that you have set me on the right path.

12. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Here are some larger pictures of my non folding top

Attached Files:

13. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Here's my current project RPU Cabrio, Hallock style windshield and folding top. Can't show you a mock up body is out for priming but I think it looks great and so does evryone that has seen it.

Attached Files:

14. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Kind of an arrogant, asshole of a statment don't you think?

15. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

But that's a Duvall windshield not a Hallock, they don't have a top frame and are completely different.

16. striper

striper

I was a bit disappointed by that too. For guys who receive a fairly healthy dose of (deserved) praise on here, you'd think they could have a civil discussion about some slightly critical opinions about one aspect of one build they have done. I don't think anybody has been rude or particularly scathing of that top, just discussing the finer points of an unusual design.

Pete

17. ROLLINGBONES 1A

ROLLINGBONES 1A

Ya know nobody is more willing and happy to share , send slide shows and or tell others how we go about TRYING to build the best hot rods in the style we like that we can. We are not some big time shop that pumps out one after another in an effort to raise our bottom line. We are very selective in what we build and who we build for . Before some as you call us asshole says "ya they only build for rich guys " money has NOTHING to do with it. Sure we has been fortunate to have caught the eye of some influential guys but we also have built hot rods for others that this will be their only hot rod . The hot rods we build are extremely important and personal to US. Of course they are not perfect but they are the best we can do and we strive to improve with each one. Right or wrong I personally happen to believe the folding top we built for the 29 is as good visually as you can get. While I may have taken some of the negative comments a little to personally comments like your cars are gay , you guys are assholes and having the hot rods trashed as cookie cutters and the like get a little old . I say if you want to sit on the side lines and throw insults fine but also add a picture or two of your builds with your opinions and lets see what you got.
    Other wise if you really want to share ideas simply contact us , we are always happy to share ideas with hot rod builders no matter if it's your first build or your tenth. Every idea we have is rooted in what we have seen from others and you will NEVER hear us knock what others build either publicly or privately .

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

This all sounds great, but I will agree that your responses here sounded very smug and condescending to me.

I was prompted to reply but didn't and see that a couple others did.

Your posts gave the impression that their opinions were crap and that you in your infinite hot rod wisdom knew better and were better.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  19. Kinky6

Kinky6

Right, point taken, they are often confused for the other. Just the same, both the Duvall and Hallock pose similar challenges to fitting the front edge of a folding or rigid top, when compared to a more conventional wind shield.

Let's please keep this thread open for the information content rather than bashing on other's posts and/or opinions.

Thanks, Kinky6 :cool:

20. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Kinky6 is right. On my project I plan on extending the roof line, thus creating an extended visor, but my windshield is straight. I wonder if making a straight header on the Halcock windshield, extended maybe 2 inches from the center bar of the windshield and being a visor over the swept back portion would look better then trying to match the swept back sweep of windshield top?
    Any other ideas out there?

21. ruralrod

ruralrod

i have a ton of pics i could post of mine (windshield). but they are too big and my HAMB skills suck.
    if you notice the glass on the bones roadster it is larger and straighter across the top, no? without the top, from pictures i've seen, it looks like it has different glass.
    bonesman, can you shed some info?

Pachi

22. ruralrod

ruralrod

answering myself. just so i don't go crazy. look at the first pic compared to the latest. different. changes the angle of the dangle.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It doesn't matter how nice you make something or how much effort you put into it there is always nitpicker or two who feels that they are an "expert" on how things "should" look.
    Those same experts probably haven't driven hell bent for election from one side of the country to the other in the big middle of a heat wave running with a bunch of closed cars either. You get out and run with the big dogs and pretty soon you are deciding you want a top even if the car was built so that a top doesn't quite look right.

24. ROLLINGBONES 1A

ROLLINGBONES 1A

Pachi - I think we have corresponded before?
    I'm not good with the pictures for the hamb either , I have to have Emily who runs our site reduce them before I can get them to go on. When the owner decided he wanted a top after the roadster was almost completed it was soon obvious that the only way would be to make removable out side post extensions and aluminum spacers between the glass and top header . Unless you make them match the center in height which in our opinion didn't look right you have the problem of making the top material go in three directions as it comes forward from the center bow. Since we wanted a folding cloth top rather than a ridged one piece formed one we modified a set of 32 irons and bows and made the hooded front header bow.

25. It's not often that I start a thread, then wish I never gone there in the first place.
    This is one of those times. I'm no builder. I will never have the chops of an outfit like Rolling Bones or the means to employ them. I am just a guy who loves hot rods and asked what I thought was a simple question. And the answer I have arrived at for myself is that a top simply doesn't look right. No one has posted a shot that has convinced me otherwise. That's good enuf for me. No offense intended to anyone in this thread. Can we just stick a friggin' fork in this and be done with it.

26. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

You betcha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.