Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best sounding mufflers on a SBC?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fishslayer82, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I like my Smitty's.... :cool:

2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I tried straight pipes, but found them to be obnoxious. I eventually installed 2" Porters, with a turnout in front of my rear tires. I think it sounds wicked good. My motor is a very mild SBC (350).

[​IMG]

3. lawman

lawman

They are the ONLY ones to use !!!!!!!

4. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Dynomax super turbos sound great behind a small block.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I have 1.75" pipes going from front and exiting straight out the back with no mufflers. I love it and it's not too loud inside the car however people have told me that if you're driving behind me it's deafening. I'm going to put some porters on I think for my birthday for that reason and because I hate to wake the neighbors as I pull into my neighbor hood and then have to open the garage doors to get it parked.

6. indyjps

indyjps

2.5" pipes and turbo mufflers. I like dynomax.

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Flowmasters sound like shit. SImple as that, no place on a traditional rod or custom. If you are looking for a nice bark and rasp, like kids did to their cars in the 50's, I like Brockman Mellowtones. Brock will make them for you in any length, and with glass, steel, or no packing in them. He can advise you on how loud or raspy the different configurations will be. They also have a spiraling louvered core, that makes then sound a bit different.
    I have some original Smitty's (found NOS ones back in 82) on my 55 Olds, and love them, but I dont' think the new ones sound the same. Haven't tried Porters, cause I like my Mellowtones so much!

8. teddyp

teddyp

brockman mellow tones has that old 50,s sound got them 0n my chevy 350 and my y-block we put them on the dodge with a 360 in it and that sounds the best

9. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Brockman Mellow Tones. When you call and order them, you talk to the guy who is making them for you. Mom and Pop deal.

Search Youtube for Brockman Mellowtone. That's my video of the old truck you'll find on there. I have never been happier with a set of mufflers than those. And it's nice to buy USA made product from a small business.

10. FIDDLER

FIDDLER
    from VIRGINIA

about ten years ago, I was running a straight no muffler exhaust on my pickup truck. I was in Frederick, Md with my neighbor following me .Some guy pulls up on my right side right at the end of my tailpipe,with his 9 miilion watt radio just blasting everyone around. I revved up my truck to about 3000 rpm just to give him a taste of his own medicine, it had an immediate effct, as he turned down his radio, my neighbor was laughing his but off ass he could see the guys total consternation. I still am running straight through, exhaust and unless I am gassing on it I cannot hear it from inside, not recommending anything ,just passing along something to think about ----- Fiddler

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  11. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

About 10 years ago Car Craft mag did a muffler test with 10 mufflers. I think they were all turbo type, no glass packs. Anyway the Summit cheap mufflers under $20 ea. was 3rd from the top in flow capacity and reasonable noise. It beat out some the expensive name brand mufflers in flow.

Ago

12. Links in here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737874

13. fishslayer82

fishslayer82

So last night I couldnt get to sleep, thinking about the different mufflers (among of other more serious things) But I did you look at lots of mufflers videos on youtube and other websites. Every mellowtone I heard sounded great, smithys and porters sounded good most of the time, but some sounded ho-hum. Im sure it depends on the motor as well as numerous other things.
    Anyway- I think Im going with the Brockmans.

Also JeffreyJames- I visited your shop this summer, while working down in Charlotte. Dalton was intrested in my 50 Chevy truck I had for sale. Guess what, Im back in Charlotte this week, really busy, but if I have time I might stop by again. Iron Lords!
    Also, Dalton hooked me up with a rearview mirror for that 53, its on it now. Tell him thanks again!

14. Recording equipment makes a huge difference ya know
    And so does the compression of the engine

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  15. 327Eric

327Eric

I have a set of magnaflows on my 59 ElCamino, with 2 1/2" pipes, out the back. These have a nice tone, a little mellower than a turbo, with no resonace, and bellow pretty good when I get on it.

16. fishslayer82

fishslayer82

I think I saw your truck, looks great. I really like ordering from Ma and Pop type places, always good quality work.