Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did anyone here learn to DRIVE in an old car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ocean56, May 6, 2010.

1. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Driver training in high school was a 56 Ford. The old man had a 46 Chev. that I learned most in.

2. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I learned to drive around '54. The first two cars I drove were a '35 Ford (floor shift) and a '42 Studebaker (column shift).

3. when i was 13 my dad let me drive his '57 chevy pickup around. that was the first thing i ever drove. and then my first car was a '76 cutlass.

4. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

I earned how to drive stick in my dad's '41 Ford pickup. Man, that was fun on the gravel back roads on the way to school!

5. In 1953 when I learned to drive, a 32 Ford was as old as a 1991 Ford is today. What do you consider old? Besides me lol
    My first car was a 41 chev in 1957.

6. Ramjet

Ramjet
    BANNED

29 leatherback, it's me in the picture under my name, I was 11

7. mramc1

mramc1

I learned to drive in the woods with in my dad's '59 Willys pickup. That was back in 1992 when I was 14. He still hauls firewood with it to this day.

8. ol fueler

ol fueler

I learned in a 1939 Chevy , car was not that old at the time, 1952 or so.
    I was also in South Dakota and at that time the state had NO drivers lic. , any one of any age could drive , I was 12, when they finally put in laws the ONLY requirement was to have 2 dollars and sign a certification that you had never been in a mental hospital!
    When Joe Foss came home from Korea, a marine pilot, an ace , who was BLINDED by a fire in a shot up plane, then became Govenor, he decided a change was needed.
    He got a bunch of reporters and photogs to follow him to the DMV , went in , put down his 2 bucks, signed the paper about not being nuts, got a drivers license, then asked who wanted to go for a ride with him!! The resulting publicity got the laws changed. True Story.

9. 67 Pontiac, 4 door, manual steering and brakes.

Imagine parallel parking.

10. chip chipman

chip chipman

Learned to drive a 1943 White M3 A1 HALFTRACK. After the WAR you could not buy a tractor. So my Aunt and Uncle bought two. One was converted to a boom truck the other was left as stock to pull the plows.

11. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey
    from Moline IL

Between 8 and 12, I learned on my uncle's 60 JD tractor, complete with a hand clutch, the 3010 JD tractor when I was old enough/big enough to work the clutch, a Cushman 5 hp scooter, then I graduated to cars... was either my mom's 55 Bel Air, dad's 67 Galaxie 500, or my sister's 69 VW. I took my driving test in my first car, a stock 1950 Chevy Town Sedan.

12. feelsharp

feelsharp
    from Wadsville

Learned in my Dad's '41 Hudson driving around the orchard. In 1950, he bought a '15T which I learned to drive, also in the orchard. I still drive that same T today, 62 years later.

13. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

This 1929 Ford Tudor sedan is the first car I learned to drive.
    [​IMG]

The car is the same (even the tires)
    [​IMG]

14. I learned to drive in a 1954 Buick, but it was only four years old then.

15. willymakeit

willymakeit

Mom would take us and let us drive starting in a 54 caddy, then on to a 50 chevy p/u. Just dont tell dad.

16. silversink

silversink

The one I learned in is in picture to the left. This 1948 Internatioal has been in the family since it was new.

17. The ol man use to let me steer our old 46 Pontiac coupe when I was 4 or 5 but learned to drive his old work pickup...a 41 chevy 1/2 ton with a 4 speed non-syncro trans.
    First time I drove an automatic [our family 55 Pontiac hardtop] when my mother and I approached a stop sign I went for the non-existant clutch pedal and hit the brake, putting her right into the dash. She was pissed! It was easier to drive that old "double clutch" chevy pickup until I finally got used to the Pontiac.....the power difference was intoxicating!

18. Learned to steer a 59 caddy drive a 67 caddy and took my test on a 72 caddy. I remember the cop giving my test ask if I could of brought a bigger car to park. :D

19. spooler41

spooler41

Learned to drive on a early Ford tractor in the spring of 1952. Got my first car later in the fall of '52, that was a '29 Ford 2 door. Thats what I earned , pulling hay that summer.
    I think my dad paid about $30 for it we then rebuilt the motor and made it run again. I got to drive it in the field the rest of the year. I didn't get a real drivers license until Jan. of '56 and I've been tinkering with cars and driving the wheels off them ever since.
    ..............Jack

20. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson
    Alliance Vendor

Learn to Drive in a 63 international pickup. I bet I put on a 100 miles driving around the hay fields that summer of 1967

21. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

54 Stude Champion and a tractor

22. Amniculi

Amniculi

I learned to drive in a '66 Ford F100. Had a big block 390 in it and I got smacked upside the head more than once for spinning the tires.

23. cracker head

cracker head

24. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

my experience is different,i came to the states 11 yrs ago from australia,i had never driven on the other side of the road before,the first time i did drive in the states was in a 1955 pontiac starchief,i had just bought...shit i ended up on the wrong side of the road 4 times completley scared the crap out of people when this 55 pontiac with lit up indian head was hammering down on them at night...i have got used to it now,i drive on the correct side.

25. ClayPigeonKiller

ClayPigeonKiller

I did.

It was a 1949 Willis Jeep pickup. It had the original flathead 4 cylinder, 3 speed, 2 stick transfer case. It was the only car on the place I could reach the pedals in at 11 years old. This would have been around 2003 ish. So, yeah, it was pretty old.

26. IRISH13

IRISH13
    from SoCal

I learned to drive in my uncle Dave's 58 ranchero when I was 9.

27. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first driving experience was in my dad's '42 Ford half ton. I learned to drive in his '52 Ford half ton and our '66 Chevy Impala and on various tractors on the farm - John Deere G, John Deere 4020, Ford 8N, Case 830 etc. I grew up in a farming area of Northwestern Wisconsin and I was regularly driving (with one of my parents in the car) on the road at 13 years old - this was in the '75 and '76. That wouldn't happen today.

28. Define "OLD" !

29. "Old" is relative to the time, but I learned in a '69 Datsun pickup in 1972. Old now, new then. But, along with that, I mastered a stick shift in Dad's '54 Willys CJ-3B 4x4, and a '49 Chevy Deluxe I had right after I started in the Datsun.

Used to drive the Willys all the time in the open dirt field across the street from my house, as well as perfecting my 4x4 skills along the mesa slope behind the house! Ah, yes, no roll bar or seat belt...and I lived! Did stuff then with the Willys that would probably scare the crap out of me now.

I taught my sister (then 12) how to drive the Chevy (I was 14) around the yard. The dropoff from the back of the house was pretty sharp. Drivable with the Jeep...not so much with the Chevy! She damn near drove us off the edge one time! Scared the crap out of both of us, but next time she drove, she stayed far back from the edge.

Fun times!

30. Terraizer

Terraizer

Learned to drive in a 1952 Ford F-2 flatbed at the age of 8-9 years old around 1987 or so. Dad bought it for my little brother and I from the next door neighbor for $75.00, truck was a 1 owner before us and had less then 70K on it. Man i wish i still had it, traded it off at 18-19 years old for a junky 1972 Elcamino that i got rid of about 4-6 months later.