Register now to get rid of these ads!

how long does it take you "average guys" to go from parts to rolling???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Magnum Wheel Man, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:D

5 years on the 1932 3W ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see in the first photo ... I sarted with a complete car.
    For my 32 Ford Roadster, it took 10 years. I started with just a nice, original 32 Ford frame and added the parts and pieces as I could find them and PAY for them.

[​IMG]

I actually enjoyed building the Roadster a lot more than the coupe. The challenge of finding the parts and making everything fit was way more rewarding the building the coupe. I had to save, horse trade and beat the bushes for the $$$ to build the roadster. By the time the 3W came along, I was a good bit better off financially and money was not a issue.

I like both my 32's but if the 3W had caught fie instead of the roadster ... I do not know if I would have tried as hard as I did to put the fire out. :eek:

2. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I dont think I've ever actually "finished" anything! There's always more I want to do. I've taken a truck from a pile of parts to driving in a weekend when I was single without kids. Far from perfect, but running and driveable. I currently have 2 projects in the works, one my El Camino that's headed for a 60's cruiser/ mild custom look, and my Henry J that's going to be pretty much a street legal race car. The body is pretty good on the Camino, so it's getting more of a mechanical makeover, but will probably still be a year from now before it's done due to finances, then on to the Henry J which is a rust bucket and will probably take a lot longer. Every car is different.

Devin

3. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

used to do one a year, but some I've had for 20... hard to say really... now I have a chevelle on the lift for 2 years, jut don't feel like working on it....

4. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'm still not completely done with my frame.. Still need to flatten the front A crossmember, pie cut behind it to get it sitting at the proper angle then finish welding the entire frame. Been working on and off for about 2 3/4 years now. I was 22 when I started the project. I'm now 24.

I'm hoping to be able to finish up all of the sheet metal work and at least have it in primer so I can drive it to the Revolution next year at the latest. Would be nice to have it painted, plated, upholstered, and completely finished by the Round-Up in 2014 but I won't rush just to get it done before then.

5. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

yes

but seriously. my avatar was about 4-5 years (but I had a falcon that was taking some of my cash too--plus during those years both my wife and I were in grad school).

the current project, a 34 pu is already at like 4-5 years. I'm ready to put the motor in the chassis and make it a proper roller, then it's time to start thinking about body repair. I'm at 4 or 5 years on this one too--but now the issues is pesky day a job, 3 small kids and my triathlon hobby--I'm in no rush on this one--it's been in the family on ad off for 40 years and won't be going anywhere again.

I also practice "do it once and do it right" so sometimes I just have to be patient until I can afford that.

6. shane85

shane85

3 years it's a love hate thing.

7. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

First build 4 years but I turned 21 so I went full tilt!!!! Deep end I started a second about 2 years into it(witch it went from rusty parts to a full roller) then I bought my 3rd I'm almost two years into to it and it have a couple more months. It would have been done but I got married and have a great brand new baby boy. I guess I have an excuse for everything!!!!

8. KGB911

KGB911

Well in Hollywierd we did it in 48 Hours! That is the truth!
    I had the pleasure of being part of the Factory Five 33 Hot Rod build shown on Car Warriors Speed Channel series. It was not staged, well a little! and the cars had to run at the end of 48 hours! We actually won an additional hour and buy the way, We LOST! So the fact is, any more than 2 days is a waste of Time! I still cannot figure out why it takes me 4000 hours to build a stinkin Kit Car!
    Dr. Ruth

Attached Files:

9. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Re: how long does it take you "average guys" to go from parts to rolling???
    Well in Hollywierd we did it in 48 Hours! That is the truth!
    I had the pleasure of being part of the Factory Five 33 Hot Rod build shown on Car Warriors Speed Channel series. It was not staged, well a little! and the cars had to run at the end of 48 hours! We actually won an additional hour and buy the way, We LOST! So the fact is, any more than 2 days is a waste of Time! I still cannot figure out why it takes me 4000 hours to build a stinkin Kit Car!
    Dr. Ruth
    Attached Thumbnails

Show off!!!

10. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

4 times longer than you/I think if it is going to be the build / quality you/I are thinking....
    = I figure how long I think it will think, then 4x it... that is about right. Better to figure out a realistic timeline before then 1/2 way through.

Some guys roll.. but they spend 5 hours a night m-f, then 10 hours sat and 10 sunday..
    not looking at it, but wrenching.
    That is 45 wrenching hours a week... and sometimes rocking an extra 10 for 55 wrenching hours after a full time job.

That is about 200 hours a month... 3 months straight.... 600 hours..
    if you take some days off work here and there etc.. for some 3 day marathon weekends where you can get an extra 25 hours a month here and there... x 3= 75
    = 675 hours you can get some done...in 3 months.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  11. Joe Didio

Joe Didio

Three and a half years.

Attached Files:

12. 5 yrs for the rpu with no garage living in a apartment. Rented shacks here and there, friends garage for awhile, very little tools but lots of desire Back in the late 70's Did the 39 in a winter under primer in the mid 80's, Current build is 2 yrs on the shoebox. Oh 3 yrs to build the enfield just before the shoe build. More in between including friends cars

Attached Files:

13. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

Usually from 1-3 years

Fastest build was my friends '33
    Took three of us 14 days, to go from scattered parts in the shop and shop attic to this....

[​IMG]

14. wsdad

wsdad

I only read the first 1/3 of this post so forgive me if something like this has already been mentioned. It seems, from what I've read and from my own experience, that one of the big time wasters is waiting for the money to buy parts. May I recommend this formula given to me by someone who was smarter and richer than I am:

1. Get rid of your car, insurance and interest payments by buying an ugly, cheap, reliable old car. Buy only liability insurance for it - it's a faction of the cost of full coverage. I found a 1992 Toyota Corolla with 145,000 miles on it for $300. Another $150 worth of junk yard parts and it was an ugly driver. I've driven it nearly 11 months now without any costly breakdowns. So far, that's only $40 per month if it dies tomorrow. Even if it did, another entire engine with all the bits and pieces only costs $140.00 from the local Pick-n-pull junk yard. Contrary to popular belief, it's been comfortable and reliable. The car before this one was an old Grand Marquis that I bought for $2000 and drove for 5 years. That's only $33 per month.

2. Pay yourself the same amount you were paying to someone else in car payments and insurance payments - but don't spend any of it yet!

3. This is the most important part of the formula that makes it all work: Build up $1000.00 in the bank to cover real emergencies. A real emergency is a toothache or a blown tire - not a good deal on another parts car. Don't touch that money unless you have to. It will keep you from doing stupid things to come up with fast cash. Without that money in the bank, you will never get ahead because something unexpected will always knock you back down.

4. After that, build up another $500.00 for those good deals that you WILL run across. How many times have you had to let something get away because you didn't have the cash to get it?

5. Once you have the $1500.00 saved up, spend all that money that you were giving away every month on YOUR project (or save it for a bigger purchase next month).

Now you have a big chunk of money each month to throw at the project car. Your friends may laugh at you for driving an ugly, cheap car. Just hang a picture or two around of the car you're saving up for and tell them that's why you're driving the ugly car for a while. Most people will get it. If they don't immediately, they will when you drive up in your shiny new hot rod.

My car payments plus insurance payments were $480 per month. In one year, that's $5760 in savings. In 6 years, I've saved $34,560 to spend on my hot rod. (It didn't all get spent there.)

Or, you can keep giving all your money away each month to strangers, so that you can appear normal to people who only vaguely notice what you drive for about one second - and then go back to thinking about themselves.

15. Speed~On

Speed~On

2 years while working at a steady pace.

I see my project was like many others here...good to know.