Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's this in my Coolant

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Gee, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

While doing a water pump swap on my 56 I noticed this Yellow muddy type film on the cap and in some other areas that it could collect. Since I'm in no hurry things have been apart and this yellow stuff has dried and is now a powder that looks like corn meal. What is this and what cause's it? I may have an idea that it's the 50/50 premix that I started with but then added my own mix of Old School Coolant (green) that you cut with water that I added at a later time not mixing well with each other. Any thought's on this?

2. Diavolo

Diavolo

oil?

Hear me out. Oil getting into the coolant, mixing and foaming, etc. Eventually the residue of what's left after all the more volatile vapors disperse get deposited where you found it on it's way out. Mostly the remnants of it.

That, or rust from old coolant not doing it's job. Flush it well with radiator flush when you start putting it together.

I'd say rust before oil, but mayble oil (longshot). If it keeps coming back after the flush and fill, probably oil. I wouldn't worry unless it comes back or you get water in the oil.

3. Looks like dull custard? Emulsified oil by the sounds of it. A head gasket on the way out?

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Thanks guy's, forgot to mention that I'm running alum. intake, rad, and water pump. Maybe a reaction with my mix of coolant with these cross metals as well. If it does turn out to be oil in the system so be it. It's been needing to be torn down for an inspection of the valve train. I'll just have to take it further down.

5. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I thought oil when I first read it,but I've never seen oil and water mixed dry out to a powder.. As said above I would try flushing the system and keeping an eye on it.

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Sounds like a mix of rust and aluminum to me. Oil won't dry into a powder.

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have seen this before. I beleve it has something to do with the alum engine parts and the antifreeze. Isent there some oldschool fix like a penney in or on the radiator or somthing like that?

8. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Has anybody ever added a stop leak kind of treatment to your system??

9. refried confusion

refried confusion

xxxxxxxx

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  10. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I wonder if you are getting electrolysis in your antifreeze. It has something to do with an electrical charge in your antifreeze caused by your antifreeze passing over dissimilar metals. We had an engine in a combine that the sleeves started to disintegrate because of electrolysis in it's antifreeze that ended up costing us thousands of dollars.

Here is some information on electrolysis in your antifreeze:

Automotive Electrolysis ... is there any hope?

ELECTROLYSIS: What it is; How to Test for it; and Ways to Prevent it

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That was my thought also, but hey, I'm no chemist ether.

No!, I don't believe in that stuff. That stuff does a better job of stopping proper water flow than stopping a leak.

No (green) and (red) ever mixed. Just the 50/50 stuff (which by the way is yellow in color rather than lite green) and later added (green) cut 50% with water added to the previous 50/50 premix.

Oh, I left this bit of info out also, I never used 50/50 premix ever before till this last rebuild, that's why all the question's. I never had this happen with Straight Green coolant cut 50% with water.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

First, I can't believe people extra for and fall for that 50/50 crap.:D Being that this showed up after your mixing of different types, I'd flush the system and go with regular anti-freeze and water. Mix according to your weather conditions.

I use 2 parts anti-freeze and 1 part water. Seems to work for me. Since you're doing all this, I'd change hoses, clamps and thermostat, as well. It's not expensive and the piece of mind knowing your entire cooling system is freshened up is priceless.

13. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

Never saw oil in water, always water in the oil. It will then look like a milkshake. The cooling system is under pressure, the oil around a headgasket isn't. 50/50 mix was made for city folk/ yuppies/ most women. It is a little cheaper than 100 percent coolant, but not by much, 1/2 coolant 1/2 water should be a lot cheaper.

14. A lot of HD antifreezes contain silica (i think that's it) to prevent cavitation in diesel engines. The residue it leaves in my truck looks a lot like what you described. Turns to a fine yellowwhite powder and just brushes right off. I wonder if some of that wound up in your 50/50 mix.

15. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

It is a chemical reaction between the alluminum parts and your coolant.

Todays aluminum engines use a different coolant for this very reason. To get around it, you can continue use of the old green coolant, just change it atleast once a year. and dont forget to flush it. Its very common, and if left to long it will look like mud.

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Thanks again guy's. No more 50/50 premix for me.

17. You should get this my friend, a sacrficial Anode. Usually 1/4" N.P.T. can be installed in place of the Radiator drain plug, if not you can get a lower rad hose adapter and it will have the correct fittings in it for the Anode, TR

Attached Files:

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its called a sacrificial anode

19. Johnny, if you can't find the Anode like I posted above or the lower hose adapter, just P.M. me and I'll give you a few leads, TR

20. staygreasy

staygreasy
    from s.e. tx

i have seen mixed coolants react with each other and cause the gunk youre talking about. most likely i think thats all it is. having aluminum heads and an iron block can cause electrolysis. you said your system is drained, so you cant check it now, but in the future you can check for electrolysis with a volt meter. connect the ground to a known good ground, and stick the other hot lead directly into the coolant through the radiator neck. if you read 2V or more you have electrolysis. motorcraft makes an additive i believe that they were putting in the powerstrokes to fight electrolysis. just a little FYI. if it were me id just flush it like somebody else said and just run green antifreeze in it. hope this helps.

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Thanks for the testing tip. And yes, green old school stuff from here on out. I never had that yellow build up ever with the green coolant.

22. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Some Early 60's 6 cyl chevy's use to crack in the oil passage, water jacket area ,and because the oil pressure is greater would pump into the radiator.I had a 63 two wagon we used as a parts chaser back in the early 70's that did it.