Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Thankful

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 21, 2012.

1. what a beautiful machine.....

2. 1947vert

1947vert
    from Minnesota

Today I am thankful for many things, one of them is this web site as it brings alot of information and entertainment throughout the year. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

3. I bet these people could race those cars at the Speed Week celebration thats part of Fleet Week in San Diego. They have all kinds of races every year.

4. We can all be thankful that we live in such a great country (at least for the time being) that we can build whatever, whenever. Ya got to love the old race cars built back in the day. Thank's Ryan for posting this..
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE

5. Half-Fast Motors

Half-Fast Motors

Amen Brother!!!

6. I am thankful for the "old timmers" and the way they built things back in the day.
    My next project is a sprint car that my dad owned/drove in the 70's I found the car still wearing his name and paint. I gave it back to him for fathers day last year as a chassis and the body panels. Some people remember that cas as the one that Hank Arnold was killed in. I remember it as my dads and that is how it is getting restored.

[​IMG]

7. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Thanks Boss for reminding us of what a great hobby we have here. I'm very thankful that there are people out there that are willing to find cars like this and spend the "BIG BUCKS" to bring them back to their glory.

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"I found the below images while browsing the H.A.M.B. and thinking about Thanksgiving." - Ryan

I think this is so cool. This is what we all do, right? Mining this great site for treasure. Some fantastic treasure there from Greensboro, Boss. Thanks!

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Amen.

10. goetzcr

goetzcr

I love the old car recreations, but I can't see that they're being really used. Is there any plan to see what the re-creation of the SoCal Streamliner can do on the salt? Or is that unheard of in this day and age? It seems there are many salt and drag cars being re-created and "restored" to today's standards being built. I love that we can see and actually touch them at shows. Seeing the streamliner at the TRJ show in Baltimore was a thrill, BTW. But is anyone running these cars? For example, the Old Master in the latest HRM is beautiful, but is it really running all out anywhere? It would be amazing to see what the modern iterations of these iconic rods can do. I'd pay my money.

11. dixiedave

dixiedave

I was lucky enough to tour Steve and Jeff's shop a few years ago. I saw this car being built as well as the other projects that they were working on. I really liked the Woody that they built and the Studebaker that is in progress.

12. ScottV

ScottV

I am grateful that there are such craftsmen and artist ou there that I can enjoy their work viewing the things I love but can not create !!!

13. Normbc9

Normbc9

Thanks Jeff for the reminder and the legitimate question. I have something to add. There is a place Northeast of Reno (Black Rock Desert) controlled by the BLM where there is an annual "Burning Man" festival. It attracts thousands and BLM provides the Police and Life Support standby services too. I have no information about costs but when Craig Breedlove applied for those use of the 11 mile long salt flat for speed trials and tests it almost took an act of Congress to allow that to happen. It is a long way out there but it is a excellent site. BUT...wind can be a big factor. Here are a few more photo's of cars I have seen and were impressive to me. The biggest problem all of face is the issues created by litigation and many times we are viewed as "outlaws." Call us what you want but never call us as not being dedicated to what we like to do. And we all do know how to do it right!
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm just thankful that there are people who have preserved these cars in their original as raced state rather than changing and updating them to meet today's standards for safety and performance. Not that it isn't great to see cars on the salt that have been racing on the salt for the past 50 years and are continually updated or upgraded to pass tech and safety standards, It's fun to see a car running at the lakes or on the salt and know that the same basic car has been running at meets for a lot of years too There is a place for both and it should be that way..

15. nelson31

nelson31
    from Santa Cruz

I started a build on a belly tank with a V8-60. I highly recommend it!! Super fun!!!!

16. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

I could not agree with you more sir !,... But of course, you knew that. lol