Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. My buddies 56

Attached Files:

2. Fantasmagorical! Your. Buick looks fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

3. robleticia

robleticia

Much better Andy!!!!

4. Thanks Kustom , Yeah its a helluva lot better isnt it . Sometimes fuck ups can be a good thing .:D

^^^ See above Rob LOL . PS especially the fuck up comment ,:rolleyes:

5. Racrdad

Racrdad

I prefer to refer to the "fuck ups" as The Learning Curve

6. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Good work man, much better!

7. farmer12

farmer12

YES, agree!

8. Glad to see you're still at it. I'm out of the Buick business and back in the Mercury business. My first car in 1971 was a '53 merc my dad bought and now I've traded the Buick for a '53 Merc, complete with running flathead!!! Here's a link to the pics. Now if I can just finish this one!!!!!
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=31716

9. LOL yeah Doug it sure is a learning curve all right . If learning was this much fun in high school maybe I would have paid more attention , who knows ? Andy..

Thanks for the positive feedback Leftcoast .

10. The plan for my Merc is hopefully lower it a little, get some satin finish paint on it, some wide whites and caps before I die!!!!!!

11. robertsregal

robertsregal

Wow lotsa work and I do like the the look better,work well done!!!

12. Thanks Rob . You getting anything done on your Buick ? I see that you have some stuff for sale but not much on the car itself ??? I hope to get back to the buick by November , lord willing we'll see . Andy...

13. gd0050

gd0050
    from Texas

Love your Buick. I like the chop Im glad you sloped it back thats how Im wanting mine I just keep looking at different chops before I cut to make sure I get it right. So what were the final numbers on chop on a,b and c pillars?

14. Glad to have another hamb guy . Welcome aboard . I would like to see some pics of your Buick when you get a chance . Do you know of any for parts in your area ? I am looking for a 50 Buick Rear bumperettes and overider as I like them better than the 51 style . On to your question . Te final numbers on my chop were 3.5 at the A pillars , 4 and 4, B and sail panel . If you are going to move to another donor car look for a 49 - 51 ford as the rear glass works better . This chev coupe glass is proving to be a bear to lay down right , especially in the lower corners . Just a little advise from me to you ,so you dont have the same issues I am up against . And yeah the chop is a lot better than what I originally had . Let me know if you know of any parts . Thanks , Andy

15. diamonddrew

diamonddrew

Wow, lots of progress since the last time I check your build out. The chop looks great!

16. Orn

Orn

You doing great Andy, keep up the good work!

17. Thanks for the positive comments diamond . Progress will come on strong again in November once all the fall necessities get tied up . Stay tuned then . Later , Andy..

Thanks Orn . See above ^^^^ Getting anywhere on your project ?

18. Orn

Orn

At the moment I’m working with body preparation before paint but I have to admit that my Olds project has slow down a bit the last couple of month but now I’m back on track. :eek:

19. Well its been a while . All is not lost but, my spare $$$ have been used up on these other necessities . Eastwood relieved me of a few dollars for the shrinker / stretchers . I have come to the realization I am going to need these in order to carry on with the Buick . On E-Bay I won an auction for 6 Hoosier Profile Anvils and proceded to make up this here English wheel . Preliminary test panels rolled, show good results . I am pleased with that. Now I need to free up time for the Buick but its not looking good for another few weeks anyways . Thought I would chime in , I am still here LOL !!!!

Attached Files:

20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You got my attention. Pretty cool on the wheel there, Andy, nice work!

21. Thanks Jimmy . I am pleased with the outcome but there is still some flex . I have to gusset the lower arm like the top . I am hoping that this will alliviate the flexing issue. Rolls nice just the same . You not getting much done on your car yourself ? Later man , Andy....

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm dead in the water, getting my fix on the HAMB. Counting on you crazy Canadians to get me through the winter!

23. fitzee

fitzee

now that is going to make for some fun times and cool shapes..enjoy.

24. i like it so far , good work!

25. I'll see what I can do to entertain you this winter :D I am sure there will be profanity in there somewhere :rolleyes:

Yup I think when I get at it the first panels I make in order to get a feel for the E-wheel is to remove the old porthole holes and fill them in. The Buick waterfall grille will be about the only thing left on the car when completed that will discern it to being a Buick . Most Kustoms are unrecognizeable as to their origins . Thats half the fun , having people having to ask what it is :D . Andy..

Thanks for the + feedback . I am chomping at the bit to get at it but the wife wants the cellar steps stained before I start on the car again as she knows once I am into car mode I am in deep . would imagine that anyone of you guys can relate :rolleyes: . Later , Andy.

26. farmer12

farmer12

Great to see you're back at it Andy. It's always fun unpacking new tools! Good luck with the fabrication work.

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I cant say anything about the english wheel,because i dont have one in my possession.But i am sure that you'll be glad because you bought the shrinker/stretcher.Only thing that pisses me of with that tool,is that i didnt buy it earlier.Have fun with your new toys!

28. koolkemp

koolkemp

Nice to see you will be back at it soon Andy! My E wheel is still in the box after a year :eek: I havent needed it for the 47 but alm ;looking forward to playing with it soon...but I have used my shrinker stretcher to build the skirts and new wheel openings, great little tool!

29. Thanks Farmer . New tools , yes it is like Christmas came early for me !!!

I have to make a stand for the Shrinker / Stretcher and fabricate a stomp pedal as well as I can see that using it in a vise and trying to shape your piece would be a little tricky . I think anyways ??

I have been following along with your build steve I see you were sidetracked with another project/ projects . Lots of irons in the fire there Steve . When a deal is good a deal is good . Whats a guy to do ? Later , Andy.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  30. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland