Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hemi pistons and cam?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spicolli, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Spicolli

Spicolli

I'm getting ready to pick up a set of pistons and a cam for my 354.

I'm going 30 over bore 10:1 compression and running 2x4 Holley 450s. The heads will prob. have stock intake and exhausted valves with some exhaust port cleaning. Trans is a 727.
    I want around the 400s HP and 400s torque range.

I was told crane has some good grinds for Hemis. But, I'm probably going to give Schneider cams a call.

Also, looking for a good piston set. A buddy was saying I should use some forged Ross pistons. I do want forged pistons just not sure what brands are balanced with cost and performance/quality?

2. 73RR

73RR

We sell forgings from Racetec but in the AutoTec line. No, you will not find any listing for Hemi pistons on the web site or in any of their info...they do 'specials' for us. If you are concerned about quality keep in mind this is a Wayne Brooks company; their 'specials' are as good as any piston can get.

As for camshafts, there has been a shortage of 354 cores. Make that your first question.

3. Spicolli

Spicolli

I don't have a core for the 354.So I'll need one for re-grind or find a new one already done. That's way I was considering a Crane cam.
    As fare as pistons from Racstec what can one espect to pay? My budget is greeting thinner and thinner as the cash I rat hold the past year gets small and smaller.

4. Metal Mangler

Metal Mangler
    from Washington

5. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I believe that 73RR meant there is a shortage of new cores for the cam companies to grind, and to be sure to ask if they have the cam (or core to grind) in stock.

6. Spicolli

Spicolli

I was thinking shortage of old cams to re-grind. Thanks for clearing that up.

7. Spicolli

Spicolli

Just got off the phone with Racetec. Sounds pretty good. I'll need to get them more info on the buildup.

8. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I have several used cams if you need to go that route.

9. Spicolli

Spicolli

Kool thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

I called Schneider,s they have cam's for normal hydraulic lifters' but they aren't sure they have anything for a roller set up. They will be getting back to me. I really don't know the differences in the two cam's themselves. I thought you could run either flat hydraulic or rollers on the same cam. ?

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope, the lobes on a flat tappet cam are slightly "sloped", so that the lifter is loaded more on one side which causes them to spin in the lifter bore. If they do not do this, they only last for 10 minutes. A roller cam has the lobe surface perfectly parallel to the cam centerline, so that the roller has full contact with the surface of the lobe.

A flat tappet dies when it doesn't rotate in the bore, and a roller tappet will be destroyed if it does rotate.

11. shoesadigger

shoesadigger
    from Denver

You might check Engle cams or Hot Heads, I have used both for a 354 build, nice stuff!

12. 73RR

73RR

So now we get the rest of the story.......

There are NO cast roller cores for the 354 unless you get lucky at a swap meet.
    So, you are left with billet rollers and the question of who is willing to make one for you. As has been discussed numerous times, Natchi at Contreras Cams (714-533-6033) has cut some DeSoto rollers so no doubt he can do a 354. Be sure to ask about grafting a cast gear on to the end so you don't have to use a bronze gear on the intermediate shaft.

13. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Racer Brown has new Cam Cores

14. chase knight

chase knight

Crane has new steel billet cam cores suitable for hydraulic roller and mechanical roller grinds for the 354. You might want to check with Howards Cams for cast billet hydraulic and mechanical flat tappet grinds. Regards, Chase