Register now to get rid of these ads!

BUILDERS... 32 Rails Question, Repop options?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dakota, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

I am going to be starting my first 32 Frame build, for my 28 Sedan...

I am exploring my options for frame rails, granted Originals would be best, but i am on a very tight budget, and i am leaning twards a set of Repops unless a set of OG rails turns up.

I will be Fabbing everything else myself, I will be using a Model A front xmember, and a flat rear.

I will be pinching them for the A body.

What are the advantages of like ASC or whatever else is available? Are the ones speedway sells ASC or their own?

2. You have mail.

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I switched to J W Garage rails after boxing several 100 prs of ASC rails. Only reason was my rail boxer moved and I can buy the JW rails boxed. No problems with either.

4. I prefer the J W Garage rails for the repop rails. HRP

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

This may surprise you ... coming from me ...
    But the repro rails are the way to go for a scratch built rod.
    I have original 32 Ford rails under both my 32 Fords ... but that is mainly because of the Henry Ford stamped serial numbers ( matching titles to the numbers also ) ... and I had the frames. I have been collecting 32 Ford parts and pieces since the early 70's.

Both my frames needed a bit of work to be made serviceable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All I got to use was the rails ... but I did sell the front, rear and center crossmembers :) for real decent $$$.

The new rails are nice. I have 4 or 5 friends with 32's and that is the route they took. They had the original frames from under their Deuces but SOLD them and got almost enough $$$ to build the newer chassis. BECAUSE original 32 rails bring STUPID money. Even more for a rolling chassis.

:D

6. A Boner

A Boner

JW Rod Garage, in Wisconsin. Drive over and pick some up.

7. Noland

Noland

I used ASC rails on my coupe that Im building, Theyre decent. I believe jw rails already have a C notch for the rear end if that matters.

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Used lots of ASC rails and haven't had a chance to use the JW rails yet (still got 2 sets of ASC rails in stock). If I need more I'm going to try some of the JW offerings as the labor saved notching I think will be well worth the extra cost.

Frank

9. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used both and prefer JW rails over ASC. BTW, I work in a Metal Stamping Company so I look at differnt aspects such as draw marks, die scoring, etc.

10. Shadow Rods makes their own 32 frame rails. They come in two pieces and ship UPS.

Friend has a set of JW rails and they look pretty good.

11. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

I have built 4or 5 32 frames since 1998 using ASC rails and am building one now. It seems to me that the quality of the rails is not nearly as good as it was. The top and bottom flanges are very wavy, especially in the wide area where the running boards go, and i spent quite a few hours straightening them before boxing them. They also have never had enough curve in the sides if you are going to run fenders and boards. I think next time i will try JW's.

12. Framewelder

Framewelder

We at Thunder Road Rod & Custom build our own 32 rails 4 Piece 10ga lazer cut fully boxed C'd rear. We can pinch them for you for the 28-29 body so they are ready to go! Give us a call 419-522-4712

13. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

We carry the So-Cal rails as well as the ASC rails. The So-Cal ones are nice because they have the notch in them and are available with 1-piece boxing plates (with the notch). I have never used the JW ones, but they look real nice and they're def. closer to ya.