Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you paint a rusty engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56KUSTOM, Oct 18, 2012.

1. I'm gonna clean it up but feel that I should seal it with something before the high heat color.Any advice?

2. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

An engine doesn't need "High heat color". Clean it with a wire cup brush, Ospho, and water, paint it with any oil base exterior grade paint.

3. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

Rub it down with "ospho" that will kill the rust and you can paint right over it when dry......

4. I like ospho,
    Vinegar
    Oxalyc acid aka wood bealch
    dollar store oven cleaner.
    CLR

Paint it with anything but Crayola crayons,

5. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

Mann the Crayolas give it a nice blend when the motor heats up...:rolleyes:

6. slammed

slammed

ospho, where do you purchase this?

7. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

I'm painting a 53 ford flathead tomorrow, I just pulled everything I didn't want painted. Wire brushed it really good, and will give it 2 coats of Bill Hirsch engine paint tomorrow. A 53 ford engine was orange.

8. yes what is it and where do i get it?

9. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

I get it at comerciel boat stores.....

10. Degrease with engine shampoo or mineral spirits and a stiff brush-rinse,wash with laundry detergent,brush on some rust encapsulator,let it set up,brush on or spray on what ever color you want...done!

11. Thanks for all the input guys!

12. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I hope you don't mind me asking a question in your thread, but it pretty much applies:

Paint for the engine and heads doesn't need to be "high heat" or "engine paint?" I got some of this paint: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370462264207?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I'm wondering if it would be ok to use on my engine and heads. I have "engine paint primer" and clearcoat engine paint to use under and on top of it, but i don't want to have to do it twice if this paint won't hold up.

13. So far every boat place I've tried in my area never heard of Ospho.
    Is there something else?

14. yblock292

yblock292

don't know if its in the car or not but we have an outfit in derby kansas that will soda blast a complete engine and they are spotless when done.Ready for self etching primer and paint.

15. Can't find ospho local.Any other brands?

16. Go to a automotive paint store. They will have it, or something in their paint line.

17. You're not looking.

Sherwin Williams the same place you go buy your house paint.

There's several within 30 min drive Pepperell
    If they don't stock it , they can get it in a few days or less.
    Its even on Sherwin Williams web site.
    http://www.sherwin-williams.com/search/?siteSection=&Ntt=ospho

All you have to do is put in your zip code and push the button

18. tom brown

tom brown

remember to clean with air gun after all of the above- ace hardware carries ospo -26.00 a gal. let dry overnight- shot again with air gun to remove any fragments. then try a light rub or buff it leaves a great patina- may change your mind on paint as its eazy to maintain. t

19. I called the local one and they didn't know what I was talking about.

20. Most paint stores,hardware stores,marinas or big box stores have it. HRP

21. The person you talked to may not know what peanut butter is either.

I'd really like to say that the minimum wage phone answering idiots couldn't find there own ass with a map but I don't think that would be nice and I probably shouldn't say that.

22. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

before

[​IMG]

Nothing special. Wire brush degreaser and one step automotive paint from the internet to get the color I wanted. Lots of special "engine" paints but I don't believe they are worth the extra cost. For all those years we bought spray bomb Chevy orange at the parts store. I did buy a real paint that required mixing and a spray gun. What a difference!!! It covered so much better. This was engine paint only because I wanted the correct Chevrolet orange. I don't think there is anything that you can do on Pontiac's, Studebaker's and Oldsmobile's with the exhaust ports. If I see unburnt paint on a Pontiac head I know that it is a trailer queen.:D

23. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Ace hardware has it here. Just be careful with it. It is ACID. Wear rubber gloves - do it outside - a respirator is a good idea - skin and eye protection.

:eek: