Register now to get rid of these ads!

discount tire new regulation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 12amrider, Nov 12, 2012.

1. 73RR

73RR

Everything that you do, every day, is affected by the politics generated in DC. Yes, we 'do' politics here, there and everywhere...

2. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Well, you're truly a good samaritan..................be careful though.

3. Lurker McGurk

Lurker McGurk
    BANNED
    from next door

Rules:
    2. No political/religious/racial posts

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

You obviously haven't read the forum rules....

5. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

New school of thought on that.......

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52&

6. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I've had a couple of tires do that.

A couple blew apart in a more dramatic fashion ...all on cars that were parked in a garage

7. 73RR

73RR

...and you obviously missed the point...

8. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Rules are Rules, Ryan stated No politics.
    Plenty of other forums to talk about that stuff, this ain't the place.

9. I have been a Discount Tire patron for a while now. Found the best prices and I can use their money for 12 months to pay for them. Earlier this year while I was in AZ., I took a friends car to Discount to get the tire pressures checked. This one had a special drive through lane just for tire pressure checks, (hadn't seen that before),. First thing they did was look at the DOT dates on the tires and advise they couldn't touch them because they were so old but they happened to have a special going that day for a new set. I think these were over 10 years old.

I was a little pissed by what seemed like an obvious sales gimmick but after thinking about it I decided they are probably helping to save some lives especially with tires that live in a very hot dry climate.

10. Scumdog

Scumdog

Those tyres are too narrow for the rim width anyway.

11. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

I have found that tires are much better today than ever before. The tread last longer and the tires grip and work better.
    I have a 3/4 ton truck that gets little use..only to pull racecar trailers and getting engine pieces to and from the machine shop. The tires never wearout because the tread last longer than the carcass and belts. Every 6 or 7 years I buy new tires. I have seen what happens if you loose a belt at highway speed.
    Have to do the same on my three trailers too. I race with guys who pay no attention to the age of the tires and are upset when a 10 plus year old high pressure trailer tire explodes at highway speeds and destroys the trailer or even the tractor pulling it. I had a friend lose a front on a big truck and it took out the glass front.
    The cost of being a gearhead.
    Do I want the old style of tires back..like they made them when I was a kid? Heck no.
    I remember when tires lasted 30 thousand miles before they blew out.
    If I ran a business I would not install old tires or do anything with them.. fed rules, corporate rules or not.
    I don't want to be the guy who installed a tire that I know will fail and kill someone. For you guys who will run an old tire on you ride, I don't care what happens to you but I do care about what happens to the rest of us who may be driving around you.

12. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

yeah guess I have had a lucky life, with the many old tires i,ve run in my lifetime. But I can,t argue the case, its just common sense. I won,t bad mouth OSHA I,ve mostly worked in heavy industries and was a safety man several times and had to argue with the guys who didnt want to even put on safety glasses. Seen one guy who had an early retirement from a blown grinding wheel without face shield, don,t want to see that again.

13. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Businesses are around to make money. Tire shops exist to sell tires. Not to work on 12 year old tires. Risk / Reward. The world doesn't operate on hot rodder rules.

Edit, (rant also quit buyin tires at Walmart. Support local business. /rant )

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  14. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

I was next to a semi recently when his rear trailer tire blew like a bomb - luckily did not catch any tire.

That would be something else to experience on a passenger car or truck.

:eek:

15. indyjps

indyjps

I had a set on my wife's daily, bought some new OEM takeoffs that sat around a shop for a couple years. ran them 20,000 miles and the tread seperated creating a large bulge in one of the tires, the manufacture date put them at 9 years old, they had great tread left but I replaced them all. Scared me.

16. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Doug, I had a friend that worked for one of the major tire companies as a tire tester. The test tires always went on the front, some trusted tires were on the rear. He explained it to me this way: If a front tire blows the car will plow fairly straight ahead, but if a rear tire blows there is a very good chance you'll swap ends. Before that I always put new tires on the front.

17. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

bout where to put new tires if only 1 or better, 2 purchased at a time

ALWAYS should go on rear!

had a lot of discussions bout this over the years -- I was a tire serviceman for Goodyear in the early 70s ran the tire shop @ Rosecrans & sports Arena -- handled the HD road service truck changin tires on the road as well for trucks & tractor trailers -- finished w Goodyear as a service manager -- SEEN what happens w front vs rear blowouts -- and somea the carnage resultin:(

NOW, of course, as the Highwayman, I've seen many hundreds, and had a coupla em mself in my time -- both ends -- and lemmie TELL ya the rears were right scary!:eek: onea *them* put me bout fifty feet off the highwayout out in the desert sand near Seely -- and the REAR blowouts cause the highest percentage of the carnage I've witnessed

plus -- if you have 2 GOOD tires on the FRONT and 2 poor ones on the rear - what do you think is going to happen w a panic stop? -- the FRONTS are going to grip and the back ones will not and yer gonna switch ends and - or slide - roll over SEEN it TOO often :(

What happens w a REAR blowout at speed is that the rear will start fishtailing and THAT is NOT as controllable as a FRONT blowout that is *connected* to the steering wheel

BEST reaction to a rear blowout is to ease off the gas and decell w-OUT braking hard [ braking accentuates the fishtail and contributes to rollovers ]

*my* order of importance in vehicle upkeep -- from experience and observation - assumin it's runnin -- is STEERING [ so you kin keep control ] TIRES [ because they directly affect steering ] *then* BRAKES and other less important things:rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  18. 1950ed

1950ed

yea but it looks good at least for me. Then again how many people really put the right size on the right size?????

19. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

:rolleyes:

20. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Returning to the "ranch" one nite, after "playing on the freeway" for a coupla hours, I was passing the Severin OP EB I-8 when I sniffed a familer HOT rubber smell :confused: [ not a good thing:eek: ]

started lookin-scannin around for it's source -- bumped up my speed a littl to gain on a "wolfpack" some distance ahead where I could make out some unusuall "lights" -- "lights" turned out to be comin from the RR dual set of a semi trailer runnin in the #3 lane -- sparks they were, issuin from the outer dual's tread comin off:eek:

upon realizin the danger, I whipped around the truck and came up on the left side of the tractor to give a coupla blasts on my air horns to git the driver's attention - he rolled down his windah and I TOLD him on my PA to pullover he was gonna lose a tire!

Just at that moment, the tire blew like a bomb! He went to the shoulder just past the 67 off ramp where there's a nice wide one -- and I wished him well as I continued home --

BOY, am I GLAD it didn't blow whilst I was beside it :rolleyes:

21. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I had just brought a 47 Dodge truck into my shop. I checked the tires and found one at 23 psi, so I filled it to 32 as I expected to use the tires for "rollers" while I worked on the truck. About 2 minutes after removing the wheels/tires on all four corners this happened. Scared the shit out of me cause it was three feet from my head when it blew. Sounded like a M80 -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I suspect it had been run too long on low air pressure and separated the tread. When I filled it to 32psi it became an unstable bomb.