Register now to get rid of these ads!

shoebox ford rear end question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sideweeler, Nov 13, 2012.

1. sideweeler

sideweeler
    from searcy AR

this might've been answered a dozen times on here, but i haven't been able to find it if it has.

i see people with 49-51 fords doing rear end swaps with the old mavericks, i was just wondering whats wrong with the original rear end? whats the reason for doing the swap if the cars original rear end is fine? i'm about to start on my rear suspension and was just wondering if i should start looking for a newer rear end, or if i should just use the original?

2. Usually it's because of the gear ratio's that were available in the early 50's were very limited. HRP

3. sideweeler

sideweeler
    from searcy AR

ah, so i guess i should look for a different rear end. thanks!

4. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Early 90's Explorer fit fine.

5. sideweeler

sideweeler
    from searcy AR

is it the same bolt pattern?

6. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

It is the same, and you can even get factory discs!

7. I have a stock flattie, 3 speed overdrive and stock rear end in my '49. Not on the road yet. I'm guessing the rear end gearing is fine with the overdrive thing - but we shall see???

8. Buz

Buz

I used a Maverick and it was just about a bolt in. It is about 2" less width and better hi-way geared. The e brake cables fit on the rear also. I had to drill holes in the spring pads for the u-bolts because they don't sit right over the spring, a little offset.

9. NORCALCUERVO

NORCALCUERVO

Easiest swap. But finding those are getting harder and harder

10. I found it difficult to find a maveric rear but i keep my ears open and eventually found one for 75 bucks. Like everyone says, near bolt in. Mine had 300 gears. E cables from the 50 slide right in to.

Attached Files:

11. fordor41

fordor41

Plus the rolling resistance is a lot less on 8 & 9" than the older units.

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Parts availability has a lot to do with it too. You can go into any Autozone and get brake parts for a later 8 incher but not so easy with an earlier rear. Seals and other parts are also easier to find. And if you wipe out the rear end gears far from home you stand a better chance of finding an 8 or 9 inch center section to get you back on the road.

Don

13. sideweeler

sideweeler
    from searcy AR

yeah, the mavericks are hard to find here too, you just have to find them before the dirt track guys get em

14. I can only recall three ratio options for the '49-51 Fords 3.3x, 3.73 and 4.1x which is a fair offering but the rear end has a very weak yoke on the pinion and parts are getting hard to find for them. If you are running the flathead and don't intend to dog it hard you should be fine, however I know guys who have torn up the rear ends even with flatheads in their cars. The early Mustangs (65ish) bolt directly (I seem to remember that the Comet used the same rear end too), the Maverick goes in with little to no modification, and I hear that the later Lincolns work but haven't tried one. If you go with the Maverick try to stay with the earlier models, I have one from a '75-77 model and the brake drums are unique ($$$). I needed new drums ($114 each) and they ended up costing more than the rear end. However the wheel cylinders are the same on the Maverick as the original rear end.

If you are one of those fortunate people that finds $100 bills laying in the street regularly, you might get lucky and find a 9" out of a '57 wagon (not sure, it may be the Ranchero) that is a perfect bolt in for your shoebox.

I opted for the Maverick (traded for the whole car) because I am running a 350 TBI in front of a 700R4 and felt better with the newer rear end.

15. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have used the original [good shape] rear in my 53F100 for several years now. Of course I am also using an AOD tranny so the 3.92 ratio works out ok.

16. I used a maverick rear in my 49 coupe. It bolted in but the U-bolts were tilted a bit and the spring perch was the wrong angle for my lowered suspension..didn't like it so I cut the maverick spring pads off and welded new ones on at the correct angle...worked much better.

Attached Files:

17. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto, Don's hot Rods. I like the 8 incher, with factory discs....You can even use the factory e brake cables !!

4TTRUK

18. sideweeler

sideweeler
    from searcy AR

im not so much worried about a "direct fit", i'm doing a 4-link in the rear, i just want the right width. the 90-92 explorer/ranger rear end is 56 1/2 same as the mavericks i believe.

19. Windell34

Windell34

I found a guy parting out a '65 Comet and bought the front and rear seats, gas tank, and rear end with 2.80 gears for $100 bucks it all fit great. Just bolted in the rear end and down the road I went.

20. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thanks for the pic, tedley--that looks easier than i thought. only problem for me is i want a stick shift and i think most mavericks were geared steeper than i want.

21. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I am 2 years on the road running my stock rear axle matted to a 305 SBC and 350 auto trans. I am no speed racer, but I don't baby it either. I am not saying it will last forever, it just works for me now.

Rocky, your 49 is bitchin'!

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 8.8 from the Explorer is the way to go. There were quite a few ratios available, disc or drum, and limited slip too. I score them at the yard for $150, change the shoes or pads, refill with lube, and go. Getting hard to find ANY 8" or 9" in a yard here. Private sellers seem to think they are selling gold, in many cases.