Register now to get rid of these ads!

What muffler's to use for a good sounding y-block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lrs30, Nov 10, 2012.

1. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Ok just scored a set of ram horns for my 64 f-100! Now I want to see what mufflers to make it sound right? It's running the original 292 y block, and a 2 barrel still, basically stock, ok real Stock. I'd love to find those videos someone posted awhile back of the smithys and the porters. I love flowmasters on a nasty sbc, but I want a more deep sound on this truck and wonder if they will sound any good on a stock y block. Any help would be great.

2. A Rodder

A Rodder

Funny I too was just reading the quiet glass pack thread.
    I had a 64 f100 with a 292 and 3 speed, in fact a 59 edsel with the same combo.

Both ran the cheapy muffler shop standard imco aluminum glass packs. probably 18 inches long or so.

I think the porters or the brockmans have the "name" but I don't think I could get a better sound out of those two vehicles period.

3. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

The truck is a real nice clean ride, and It is a quite as a mouse with the single pipe, but I want to give it a bit of sound, nothing to damn loud, just a decent deep tone.

4. Got Borlas on the 312 in my '56 Bird, they sound really sweet. They only speak up when I get on it.

5. 327Eric

327Eric

Cherry Bombs.Not many cars sound better than a Y Block with cherry bombs.

6. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

flowmaster 40 i used on my 292 and it made a sweet sound

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My drag racing pal and I had a shop downtown 15 years ago...there was a chubby friend of his, the guy had a new Chevy pickup with flowmasters on it, 2.25" tailpipes.
    He'd make a big show when leaving the shop, and really 'leg' the 350...well, he'd 'step on it'.

It had a weird sound..."WWRRREEEEPP!" I wondered if he knew what it sounded like behind him...if my truck sounded like that, I'd run straights! (or 48" glasspacks!)

My 292 'Bird had 26" glasspacks, 2" pipe...sounded mellow, but 'sharp at full throttle...
    Cherry Bombs are the same as the tradional glass packs? Seem to be...

8. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Cherry bombs are like regular glasspacks.....but after a few weeks use, get nice and loud.......

4TTRUK

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

10. blue57ford

blue57ford

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

They also sound very good (better actually) without a crossover.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  12. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

This is MY opinion, and mine alone, learned from years of experience experimenting with everything from Thrush Turbos to old driveshafts welded on in place of mufflers on my Y-blocks, of which I've had many....

Find the longest glass packs you can and install them..... Backwards. Seriously. It'll blow your mind.

I like to put mine as far forward as I can, but its personal choice there... I like the long pipes for the echo. :)

13. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

And on a Y Block.... NO CROSSOVERS!!!!!!!!!

Crossovers destroy the sound. It starts sounding like every other pussy-mobile!

Truck64 likes this.
  14. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

This is what I need guys, thanks. And thanks for posting the videos., now I am torn....lol I only wanna do it once.

15. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

Trust me, I Preach the truth through enlightenment and knowledge, Grasshopper.

16. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I am listening " O " wise one and taking your advice whole heatedly.

17. I have the Flowmaster 40's on my '32 pick and the Porters on my '32 sedan,,,I prefer the sound of the Flowmasters. HRP

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It's OK, we understand. :)

I just don't think a hot rod should sound like the kid down the streets Mustang or Camaro.

That's why I don't like the Flowmasters.

19. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

If they dont have the cackle when you let off or down shift they aint for me

20. rogerfurgason

rogerfurgason
    from britton mi

i've read that to get cackle when you let off the gas you have to have the pipes in front of the mufflers that are smaller in diameter than the tail pipes. read it in a rod magazine.

21. Sparky13

Sparky13

if you want the old school glass pack sound but not an actual glass pack, Flowmaster as a HP-2 muffler which gives you that old school hot rod sound. i've used them on sbc '32s and sbf '40 ford coupe. Just make sure you have an h-pipe in front of the mufflers. The h-pipe allows you to have both mufflers fire off at the same time and have 8 cylinders of compression going threw them.
    If you want a chamber style Flowmaster muffler check with them on what sound you are looking for, cause any 40 series muffler will have an aggressive interior tone to them, which on long trips it gets a little old. Call Flowmaster and hit extension #452 that guy knows hot rods and has been a good help for me.

22. I agree with BlueOne. Thats my '57 in the 3rd vid he posted. I have ran all kinds of mufflers behind various Y's and the Porters sound the best by far, and they're built like a goddamn tank.

The cheaper mufflers sound good for a while...until the packing burns up...then they sound like cheaper mufflers :rolleyes: