Register now to get rid of these ads!

Doane Spencer car - through frame exhaust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by quickchangeV8, Nov 11, 2012.

1. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

I was going through some pictures today of the Doane Spencer 1932 roadster. There are many interesting innovative pieces on this car and in particular I was looking at the side frame through exhaust. It looks like Doane Spencer has cut a 1936 Ford inner driveshaft in half sideways, shaped the small end until it comes to a point and welded the unit to the 1932 frame rails. This is all extemely well done as you don't see any sign of any welds anywhere. My question is - Does it look to any of you that Spencer used a 1936 Ford inner driveshaft to form the frame through exhaust on his 1932 roadster or is it just a nicely formed piece that he made up?

2. This is work by one of the best as far as I am concerned. He had a very good eye for making something look like it was going a 100 miles an hour while setting still and taking all the sharp edges from things that would stop your eyes from flowing over this car. My guess it is a nicely formed piece he made up.

3. I think it is a formed piece. The 35/36 drive shaft is not heavy enough to be used to reinforce a frame penetration.

4. That's not just a penetration.
    The entire length thru the center of the frame rail was reworked.
    Its a tapered elips.

5. I did it with 40 Ford torque tubes sliced at an angle. Mine ain't as pretty as Doanes but it's fun. There is nothing truly new in hotrodding.

Attached Files:

6. alchemy

alchemy

Great idea. Torque tubes are much thicker than a 36 driveshaft. More like the 11ga rails.

7. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

Here's a few of the faded snap shots ole Doane Spensor send us just before he passed on to hot rod heaven. He claimed that 36 drive shaft tubes were plenty strong enough to use in a fully boxed frame .
    Well i'm off to get my umbrella and hard hat before the shit storm.
    By the way stop in our both at the Detroit Autorama we will have it in our booth along with a few our our hot rods .
    the Bones

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  8. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

^^^^^^^
    Can you make the pics any smaller :)

9. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

I am all most completely inept with computers . Believe me I am lucky to get the pictures on at all.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

In photo one, does the chassis have that bump or "Z" to raise the front crossmember. I know I beat this question to death every time the Spencer chassis mentioned. Did he have two chassis for the car, or only one that was modified constantly? Bob :confused:

11. I was wondering if anyone can post pics of other cars that have followed Spencer's cue on the exhaust beside me and now Ken from the Boners's shop. I would love to see them. I used the 40 torque tubes because they had a great taper to them and were cheap at the time.

12. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

On the DSR iv always seen the tube is a C
    [​IMG]