Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What I plan for my flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Britton, Nov 9, 2012.

1. I spent the morning in search reading about flathead exhaust.
    I have a plan for my 59A, and since I'm a flattie nuube I thought I'd run it by all you flathead experts.
    The engine in my 47 runs like a sewing machine. Good oil pressure, cold as a clam, smooth, no missing, no problems. The car is fun to drive as is and I see no need to make performance increases, which usually come at the loss of durability/dependability.
    But, just like everyone else, I'd like my engine to have that iconic "vintage hot rod" look.
    I found heads that are recommended for stock engines that offer a boost to 8:1 compression. they have the look, and offer two temp outlets per head which means I can run a pair of Moon water temp gauges in the heads and still have a gauge on the dash.
    OK, got the heads taken care of. Now for an intake. I plan to run a 3X2 setup with the outside carbs as dummies. I can plate them off, and plug the fuel openings in the log to keep the outside carbs dry. I get the look, and I only have one carb to tune.
    I don't care a tic for increasing performance, if I did, I'd pull the little flattie and replace it with big cube OHV power. I'm after the look.
    I'm the only kid on my block with balls enough to run a flathead, so no one is going to call me out for running dummy carbs. Don't care if they do, it's my car, f-em!
    I haven't decided if I want headers or keep the stock manifolds. The entire exhaust system is shot, and it could have a tad more rumble.
    Thoughts? Don't want to start some kind of pissing match here, just want to know if there are any oh-my-gods before I start collecting parts.
    Thanks, guys. I'm having a ball with this old car....Mike

2. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I am not sure on your question but are you asking what kind of exhaust you should go with?

For a stock flathead and you mentioned that you are not looking for performance, the stock manifolds will work fine. I would go with dual exhaust and minimal mufflers since a stock flathead is quiet to start with.

As a side note. If I was looking at a flathead with 3 carburators, the stock exhaust manifolds would look out of place.

But then again, your words are, "I'm the only kid on my block with balls enough to run a flathead, so no one is going to call me out for running dummy carbs. Don't care if they do, it's my car, f-em!" So, you readily are not asking what I think, are you. ;)

3. why can't you run Fentons instead of stock ex manifolds out to a dual system??.

4. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Fake stuff is just that FAKE!
    Leave it alone - drive and pick away at a new read deal motor.

5. 21stud

21stud
    from California

I would have left the heads alone if the engine is running great. A nice 2x2 manifold ( not off the shelf stuff) with WORKING carbs would be fine.
    Dual exhauset from the stock manifolds would be fine. Don't do the fake stuff. I put that in the same catagory as FAKE KICKSTARTERS for Harleys.

6. Don't stress....stock manifolds and a twin system with some 'ol school mufflers should do it nicely for what you want. Porters or similar.

7. The reason I'm wanting to run the outside carbs as dummies is that I've run 3x2 setups on Y-blocks and Pontiacs in the past and they were a bitch to keep adjusted.
    I'm lazy! Am I trying to make this too hard?
    The 3x2 set up on my 312 in high school was almost an every day thing to keep running smooth. If I find decent carbs, can I build a real 3x2 that will be driveable on the street? Is there progressive linkage that really works so that I can adjust the outsides to wait until nearly wide open to come on? The linkages I worked with in the past were junk!
    I understand that multiple carb setups require more maintenance that a single carb, but if I can't put together a trouble free multi setup I'll stick with a single.
    As far as the exhaust, I was under there again yesterday, and there is really nothing salvageable in that old dual glass-pack set up I have. So I can start with a pair of Fentons on the engine, and my exhaust guy can do the rest.
    I'm assuming 1 7/8 with some sort of glass pack? what I have is almost too quiet even with all the leaks the system has now.

296V8, I understand your comment. I have a really nice small block in the shop on a cradle that would fit in there in a weekend, but part of me wants to keep the flathead in there.
    I've run hot engines on the street in the past, and for just cruising, a stock engine is a more trouble free choice. But a stock flathead looks somewhat pedestrian, almost like a tractor motor. I'm just trying to dress it up some.
    Jst Wandering, if I didn't want to hear everyone's thoughts, I wouldn't pose a plan. I may not do what everyone wants, but I still want to hear what everyone thinks.
    Thanks, all. Mike

8. "FAKE KICKSTARTERS for Harleys." Ouch!! OK, OK, I get it, no fake stuff. I really have thought about the 2x2 setup, it's kind of like a 4 bbl if I use progressive linkage, right?
    That would have me only dealing with one extra carb. And those manifolds are cheaper at the swap meets!
    From my research, the Fentons supposedly will help keep the engine temps down, and in Texas, that's worth doing. Since I'm going to have to replace the whole exhaust system, adding the headers is not that big a deal.
    Typical hot rod, a lot of what I'm doing is undoing the hack work that went before me. I won't say that all of it was shoddy work, but we do things a bit "nicer" now than 30-40 years ago. Thanks, Mike

9. Been doing some research. Is there any reason I would want tube headers over the cast iron Fentons? Seems to me, the Fentons are going to be the more durable set up.

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I ran 2 97s on a presumably high mileage flattie with straight linkage. I built my own headers and I believe they are worth it. It ran flawlessly. I'd go with 2-2s and headers. JMHO

11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had a set of Fentons on my '51 for over 25 years. The headpipes needed to be custom built, but overall, I couldn't be happier with them.

12. tommy!
    That seals it! I'm going to have to paint my engine red now......That's a nice looking engine.

13. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

If you are not set on the 3 X 2 intake, I would go with a 2 X 2 and a pair of strombergs. I have had a set on my Model A for about three or four years and have not adjusted the carbs since they were put on. Don't run progessive with two carbs.

Don't know on fenton headers but I have two sets of Red's and they have worked well.

This would give you a good reliable flathead with alittle more performance.

The change of the heads is mostly cosmetic.

Neal

14. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Why fake something ???? Fentons, Smithys, 2 Strombergs, and either Edelbrock or Offy heads. You get the look, AND function, with NO loss of reliability. Spending $$ on faking it, will be around the same $$ as going "real".

4TTRUK

15. OK, I'm sold. What Strombergs am I looking for?
    40 Ford guy, it's not about the money. A pair of heads and a manifold will cost me less in the long run than sticking the small block in, and won't strain the drivetrain. And, I get that iconic look. So, the stock cam is sufficient? I really believe the bottom end of this engine is strong, and has many miles left in it.

16. Bump What Strombergs? (4's- 97's, Something else? Do I leave the mechanical fuel pump?

17. ISKY makes good cams for flatheads. I love the sound of a 400jr, but it's a race cam, real lopey idle. I know that Ryan put an ISKY max 1 in his 39, supposed to be a good all around street cam. I'm no flathead expert, so I don't know what cam would work best with your setup.

By the way, if you decide to go SBC, I live in Fort Worth and I need a good 59a for my 40 Tudor project.

18. Run the mechanical fuel pump if it is working. I use the mechanical pump on my souped flatty that has most of the cool stuff done to it except for a more aggressive cam, running a Isky 77-b at the moment.
    Something else? Have you checked your water pumps? Maybe install the new improved impellers to increase water flow?

19. I've used tube type headers, as well as Fenton cast iron headers..personal choice the Fentons'
    If you decide to run an electric fuel pump, be sure and use a fuel pressure regulator, along with a fuel pressure gauge to monitor it.

20. "Have you checked your water pumps? "
    I have one pump leaking, but when I bought the car, a pair of brand new Speedway pumps, new motor mounts and a new trans mount came with it. Also, the stainless upper water hose/tube setup. after the wiring is done, while the hood is still off, I will start on cleaning up the engine and engine compartment.
    I've done more research on the intake, and I'm seeing that the 3x2 setup is geared more toward a full house engine. The 2x2, on the other hand is just a slight upgrade in volume, and better suited for the stock cam.

21. 2935ford

2935ford

JW Lawson on the Ford Barn has compiled a great book "Flathead Facts" about what is good and no so good for a flathead. He backs it up with dyno numbers for each item tested. Get your hands on a copy. You will be surprised at some of the #'s he's discovered. You can also save yourself some money using what really works! Not all that glitters is gold!

22. 36tbird

36tbird

I run a 3X manifold on the 8BA that is in my '36 pickup, 97's blocked off on the ends with a 48 in the center. I did not know that 48's were gas hogs, so I have recently been messing with the jets and power valve as per Uncle Max's recommendations to me, #69 and #43's. Having just installed the new parts, I took it out for a run the other day and it is running great.

I have Fentons on another not running yet project and I like them but you usually hear reports of clearance problems with the steering box. Lots of guys like the ones from Red's. So, you might check them out.

Recommend the FordBarn website for flathead specific questions.