Register now to get rid of these ads!

tailpipe clearance to gas tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lcfman, Nov 7, 2012.

1. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

What is a good rule of thumb as far as clearance from exhaust pipe to gas
    tank. What are so experiences pro or con.

2. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Steel or Poly Tank?

3. ems customer service

ems customer service

the farther the better, but i would say not less than 4inches , the main thing is not to heat the fuel in the tank, and sooner or later the tank might leak avoid dripping on pipe.

4. Ralph Turnberg

Ralph Turnberg
    Member Emeritus

When distance from the tank was a problem, I've wrapped the tailpipe with that header wrap material. Might not be pretty, but it works.

5. 3 to 4 inches. HRP

6. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Come on 4 inches ?, I run them as close as an inch on a steel tank. never had a problem. Like 2 inches on a poly tank if possible.

7. I like to be able to get two fingers on a steel tank.
    As much as possible on a Polly tank.

If I can't get that , I try for a sleeve of 3" with air gap over the tailpipe.
    Like a 3" pipe over a 2 or 2.25 tailpipes.

Baumi likes this.
  8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

As long as they don't bang together. Lots of factory exhaust systems are no more than an inch or 2 away.

The exhaust isn't very hot by the time it gets to the back of the car. Not as hot as the front anyway.

I only heard of 1 car that caught fire from exhaust heat on the gas tank. That was an old K car with a split seam on the muffler and the exhaust blasting straight at the tank for over an hour as the driver drove on the interstate on a hot summer day.

9. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Unless your aiming the exhaust at the tank, the width of 2 fingers is plenty, regardless of what the tank is made out of. Many a Dodge 70s-90s vans ran around with the tail pipe 1" away from the poly tank for many years. Gene

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm in the 2 finger crowd. As long as it is not touching, the heat is only transmitted by radiation. There is no way to get 4" of clearance under a deuce gas tank and not have it look lousy. IMHO

[​IMG]

Baumi likes this.
  11. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I agree..I run about 1-1/2 to two inches clearance to my poly tank...no problem at all. I originally built heat shields over that section of the tailpipes but found that they were not needed. BUT I do live in Maine and I'm never stuck in traffic, so when my car is running its usually moving. Might be different if I had to sit at idle for long periods.

12. Uribe

Uribe

I just installed a set of smithys mufflers on my 59 fairlane. On the drivers side one muffler runs right under the gas tank vent tube, they are almost 3 inches apart and i put a piece of 18 gage sheemetal between them to act as a heat shield. Do you guys think it will be ok? Your thoughts please 20200726_183727.jpg

Attached Files:

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Sounds good to me!

DSCN1623.JPG DSCN1612.JPG

lothiandon1940 and Just Gary like this.
  14. Make a heat shield and place around exhaust pipe it does keep tank cooler .

lothiandon1940 likes this.