Register now to get rid of these ads!

V8 flathead engine stand, anything different?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wallyringo, Nov 7, 2012.

1. wallyringo

wallyringo

stupid question i have to ask. Are engine stands the same no matter what engine? Ive seen 350lbs stand up to 1000lbs. Im looking for one for a ford flathead and seen engine stands on Craig list that i can afford. is there anything different for a stand for a v8 flathead? thanks

[​IMG]

2. Torchie

Torchie

If you look at pictures of the old flathead stands you will see that most of them bolt to the holes for the exhaust manifolds so that the block sits sideways to the stand.
    The engines with the bellhousing cast to the blocks are weak around the bolt holes and if you mount them on a newer stand and aply any pressure most likely they will crack.
    The last generation of flatheads with the seperate bellhousing can be bolted to the newer stands as bolts go directly into the block.
    They do make adapters that allows the use of a newer stand but bolts the block using the exhaust bolt holes. I have seen them for as little as $60.00.
    Hope this helps.

3. flatheads can't be supported by the bellhousing by itself due to cracking in this thin casted area.Most were supported by the threaded exhaust holes on the side of the block or supported on the front along with the back.Do a google search for flathead engine stand pics ad you'll see some examples

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Flatheads are also quite a bit heavier then most people think. A fully assembled all-iron flatty will be 550+, so don't by a cheap HF China stand. Get one rated for the weight plus whatever force you will be applying to it to break all those rusted and corroded head bolts loose.

Good Luck.

5. 8BA block? i built my 8BA on a regular engine stand. yes they are heavy, get a decent stand.

6. i dont like the stands like in the pic. they want to tip over if you move them around

7. Pinewood

Pinewood

Anybody know the site of the guy who sells the side mount adapters for a typical engine stand like the one above? I know there's one out there.

8. wallyringo

wallyringo

thanks for the help i didnt know untill now to use the exhaust holes, looks like I need to buy an adapter like this one.
    [​IMG]

9. you can use a regular stand for the '49-'53 blocks,i agree you need a quality one.

i was referring to '48 and earlier blocks only,i should've specified that my bad.

10. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Flatheads require something like this.

[​IMG]

Another option

[​IMG]

11. tig master

tig master
    from up north

12. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

[​IMG]

Early block on reg stand fully assembled for 2 years …. torn down 2 weeks ago.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  13. Pinewood

Pinewood

14. wallyringo

wallyringo

thanks for the website and help guys.