Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox 12v conversion question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake84, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Blake84

Blake84

So I have not the slightest clue how to do a conversion from 6 to 12 v. I have found some pretty detailed explanations and I feel I'm going to give it a go..instead of rebuilding the generator to 12v. I think I'm going to go the alternator route unless someone can explain why one is better over the other..

MY QUESTION

What alternator do I use for a ford flathead v8. Is there a company that makes a bracket that bolts to flathead and fits a certain alternator?just not sure exactly which alternator to buy.

I'm pretty much going off of this
    http://www.shoeboxford.com/members/136.cfm

If there is a more detailed step by step thread for a ford please let me know I have been searching quite a bit...

Thanks in advance

2. 24riverview

24riverview

The local fire department has asked me to convert their early 50's Ford truck to 12 volt so I was going to order one of these http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Plain-1946-1953-Flathead-Alternator-Bracket,4242.html.
    Always made my own in the past but for that price I'll try one.
    For a alternator just use a lower amperage mid 70's GM internally regulated model. I've had good luck in the past just switching the generator pulley to the alternator if there was a belt width issue.
    If your ignition switch doesn't have accessory position you'll need to add a diode to your alternator wiring. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Alternator-Wiring-Harness,2373.html.
    Might check with a local alternator repair shop on that diode, it seems like the last one I bought was around $6 but that has been quite a few years ago.

3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Do a search. All the info you need will be found.

4. If your car is all stock now, do yourself a favor and re wire it. That old cloth wrap wire with 12 volts is a lit fuse. You can use all your stock switches. I do advise to use a Relay for headlights just to get the load off the old switch, they last longer. I don't like the look of an Alt on a Flathead but that's a personal thing. Several Co's offer Alt mounts to G.M. one wire units, Speedway being one of them. Also you don't need to have the gauges actually converted to 12 volts. On my 51 I used the Runtz units. They are all you need and cheep.
    The Wizzard

5. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

6. A generator is better because it looks like it belongs on the car. A car doesn't look good (in my opinion) with purple paint and green and orange flames. An early car with an alternator doesn't look good either. It is a simple job for a good generator shop to convert the generator to 12 volts. A properly rebuilt generator will last longer than you will probably own the car. Unfortunately many rebuilds consist of fixing the immediate problem (such as brushes) and sending the unit down the road for the next failure. If there was a reason to need the extra amperage available from an alternator I would say go for the alternator but unless you have something unusual about your power requirements, the generator should be just fine.

Charlie Stephens

7. Good point. And F.Y.I. I have mounted many 57-64 Ford Gen's on 49-53 Flattys with very little work, like clean off 3 mount tabs, locate front to back for belt alignment and drill an index hole, clamp in place. Use proper Regulator for 12 V gen. Just basic 1-0-1- nuts and bolts.
    The Wizzard

8. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

I think we need to know the intended use of the car. If you want better lighting, big stereo, and have thoughts of adding A/C and other things in the future you might want to plan for that up front. Look at your projected electrical loads and see if the 12V generator will work. If you want to add lots of things then look at an alternator. I'm running a Ford 3G from a '94-'95 Mustang. Good 130A output but as others have said it doesn't look stock.