Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods One of the worst feelings in the world

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model A Fan, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

As a young teenager - 13 or 14 years old - digging around in junkyards I learned a lesson that has stayed with me always. When you see something you want, you don't let it out of your sight until it's been paid for.

I had plenty of friends who would see a hot item - a posi rear rend, a Hemi engine, an aluminum intake, etc. - and approach it with the idea that they had the luxury of thinking about it for a few days or getting around to picking it up tomorrow after school. More often than not, they were left with their dick in their hand and no part.

2. 1320/150

1320/150

First one to my door with cash wins.

I also appreciate it when the seller tells me what time the other gentleman or woman is looking,and he lets me come out before them.

Its called free enterprise. eat or be eaten!!!!

3. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

You never told him that you would buy the car! You wanted him to hold the car for you for a test drive? I feel your pain. :rolleyes:

Neal

4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

So if he didn't even know if he wanted it, then why is it a "worst feeling in the world"? Weird.

"Pretty much" scheduled? Sounds like nothing was firmly scheduled.

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Worst feelings in the world?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    wait until you get a life-changing phone call in middle of the night

wait until your doctor tells you about your "unfortunate" test results
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Maybe you should have titled this thread....
    "one somewhat unhappy temporary feeling and now I've learned my lesson"

6. papajohn

papajohn

I've been on the other end of that deal and turned down a decent offer so I could show it to the guy who was "super interested in it" and that guy never showed. Unfortunately the first guy found something he wanted more so i ended up with diddly.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!

Now if someone wants to see something later in the week, I just tell them to call before they come out in case it's already sold

7. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

I agree with most of the senitments of buying and selling, it sucks. Sometimes, it's no fun to buy or sell.

But, the exact thing happened to me. I was trying to sell my '66 Mustang in order to buy a '63 Falcon convertible. I told the seller "I was definitely a buyer." But, since I didn't have money in hand, he had to sell it to someone else. The kicker was, I sold my Mustang a couple of days later and the person he sold the Falcon to was a classic car dealer, I found it on his website the next week and he was asking almost twice as much!

As it turned out though, the car had a different engine and tranny and was a Futura model. A few weeks later I found and bought another Falcon convertible for the same price and this one has the correct engine and tranny and is a Sprint model with all the rare goodies! Plus it was a rust free Arizona car on top of that.

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

If you really wanted it you'd have made it happen. That simple. Its easier to whine than to get off your duff. You really think you're special cause you have a job? No sympathy here.

10. Did he get the Tahoe cheaper than the Hawg? ;)

There may just be someone on here that is interested if its cheap enough. Granted we have no place to advertise but PMs are private.

Bottom line on a car or bike is not to expect someone to hold it if you have not established a working relationship. An Email to a lot of folks just isn't personal enough to keep their interest when money is involved.

11. williebill

williebill

Wow. As others have said,one of the worst feeling in the world?
    I was expecting something catastrophic when I opened the thread,not some whining about fucking up your own deal.
    Yeah,it sucks,you learned something here.

12. NORCALCUERVO

NORCALCUERVO

So I learned my lesson and the next time I will go with the first one in my driveway with cash.

It's about who shows up first for sure. Making a quick buck? Of course that's what it's about too! I've told sellers can I come over now and showed up late night or even early morning just to be the first one. Believe me if they are interested in selling they'll let you.

13. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

I know how you feel..
    A couple of years ago ,there was a 30 Chevy channeled coupe on the Dayton Oh "Craigs List"
    I called the owner ,and told him I wanted to buy it,and I would bring the "Cash" with me after I got off work at 5:00 pm
    The Owner told me he would "Hold it", till I got there
    I ran on my "lunch break" to the bank and got out the "Cash"
    I called the owner, just before I got off work, to get directions to his house .
    He tells me it's SOLD!
    Someone was waiting to buy it when he got home from work
    WTF?.....
    My word is no good?

14. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure how you can accuse the guy of just "trying to make a quick buck"? Did the buyer pay him what he was asking? Did you tell him that you wanted the car so bad that you would pay $500 more than what anyone else offered him? If not, sounds like a straight up "snooze/loose" deal.

15. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Just this weekend I saw a bunch of old metal Tonka toys on CL for 40 bucks. I offered the guy 25 dollars. "No thanks, I actually got a guy that will pay me 60.00 on the way over." A day later he took my 25.00 offer. He said that 3 different times he waited for people that didnt show.
    Money in hand is everything. I got in my truck and headed to his place the minute he accepted my offer.
    Bottom line is there are just too many flakes out there to "hold" a purchase.

16. "worst feelings in the world"..really?, it's a missed deal on a car (a popular car at that).

17. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

This thread is on it's 16th minute.
    Time to pull the lights.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

18. If thats the "worst feeling in the world" for you........ you lead a pretty charmed life. :cool:

19. Let me guess...you still live at home, right. What are you going to do when really bad happens to you?

20. 1gearhead

1gearhead

You have no bitch what so ever! If you wanted the car you should have gotten off your dead ass and done something about it. I buy and sell quite a lot on ebay, craig's list, local swap meets and out of my shop. I can't tell you how much time I have sent on the phone and email with people talking about what I have to sell and they never show up. "The rule is, First there with the cash buys!" Plain and simple. A kiss and a promise will get you nothing. That may sound hard core, but at least you don't get strung out waiting on some dude to show up while you pass up one or two cash deals waiting on him and he never shows. So quit your whinning, get off your ass and do something about it next time and maybe what you are wanting to buy won't get away.....

21. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

This reminds me of that Stamps.com commercial where they guy whines "There's nothing worse than standing in line at the post office!"

Maybe, it's me, but I can imagine far worse than standing in line or the car deal that fell through.

22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Grow up! You obviously have led a sheltered life if you think this an important matter in the overall scheme of things!

Ray

23. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Suck it up and find something to really whine about Princess.

24. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

X's 2

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

these threads always crack me up.

26. Downtime

Downtime

as a buyer your word is no good at all since 80% of the people that call flake out on me the seller. (thats my experience with selling on CL and others).

I sold an OT truck on CL a little bit ago. I wanted it gone so priced it right. had 10 callers within 7 hrs of putting the ad up. I told them all the same thing. "I'll be at the car at 5pm first one who hands me the cash get the truck and title"

One guy called me 4 times gave me a sob story etc etc, i stuck to my guns. 4:55 i showed up at the truck, there were 4 people waiting. I walked up to the truck opened the door and took a step back, one guy walked up and handed me a wad of cash. SOLD. Heres your title.

The guy with the sob story showed up 50 mins later and cussed at me because I sold "His" truck.

27. I was going to say it was a real kick in the gutz when my niece called to tell me that my little brother was gone. Not nearly as bad as a couple of other things that I have felt in my life and never comparable to what it would feel like to loose a child.

But now can I say something constructive? Well its funny I should ask, I am going to say it anyway.

Worst has to do with yarn as in worsted. It is "worse" feeling, we pronounce it worst but that is why the "Hooked on Phonix" is not your best idea when it comes to interaction with the rest of the world.

OK back to my hole, carry on. ;)

28. Model T1

Model T1

Holy Crappola ! One of the worst feelings I had today was opening this thread expecting to find out one of your loved ones, family members, or good friends had died. A son, daughter, or other family member was returning home from war in a box. Your house burned down along with all of your worldly goods. Your dog "Spot" just got run over by a damned ole 32 Ford coupe. You lost your job. Your wife ran off with your best friend. Someone stole the car you've recently finished and spent years building. Or one of many other worse (worst) feeling that could have happened.
    I'm sure most of us members have had cars and parts sold that had been promised to us. Not a warm and fuzzy feeling. But also not the worse thing that's gonna happen to you.
    Good luck finding another Falcon.

29. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Yes, trivial perhaps in the long run. My house is still intact, I am in good health, I have power, water etc blah blah blah. I never said it was "the worst". Just one of "the worst". I guess I should retitle my thread to read, "one lame feeling".

What I was referring to is the feeling you get after you read, "Thanks for your interest, but the ______________ is sold." I sold my truck to my friend's roommate to make room in the driveway for the car.

Yeah I learned something I guess. Not to gripe when things don't go my way. I have a project I can work on. I guess things really aren't that bad. I am sorry for wasting your time. I figured most everybody has had this feeling.

Back to your regularly scheduled lives...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.