Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods as they were (Post WW2)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

2. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I hate to impose on this Post... but I listed a request and I'm not getting much feedback and my car seems correct to this era and I'm trying to identify who built and/or raced this body… I purchased it at a Phoenix swap meet in the late eighties… I thought it was an old circle track body and didn’t even question the guy I bought it from of it origin or racing history… after I started getting the project car under way with an Essex frame and started to share pixs of the progress I was informed by several people that it was likely a Lakes car at one time… the research I’ve done seems to indicate the same conclusion… first the workmanship and the time spent on the body is amazing… the body was channeled six inches over a narrowed frame… the rear radius rods connected through the holes in doors… it has what appears to be a mounting hole on the passenger quarter to hang the exhaust… the subrails were left intact and the frame mounts bolted onto the subrail… the body is tubed to strength… the firewall opening was reinforced and had a bolt-in reversed firewall… the tubing replaced the relieved area were a turtledeck would have attached… without being stock bodied it would have been limited to the Modified class which was later reclassed as Streamliner… the last pix shows the car now - it would have been six inches lower in its original form... any leads would be appreciated…
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

3. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

Jimmy B. A great post--- You do good!!

Ol Deuce

4. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

how did i miss this one.to the top for anyone else who missed it.

5. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

I had a Ducktail in 48, and some ladies had tattoos on their ankles as I recall.

6. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

Jimmy B, Thanks for the History lesson Great pic's. There is a builder around here who has the style of your pic's saw two of his cars yesterday at Jolopy Show Down.

7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Thanks, Jimmy. I really like the 87B version of the Spurgin Roadster. It will be a big influence on my '26 Chevy roadster build. Glad I found this and some others of your old posts.

8. DAM!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't know how I have missed this post of some of the best old photos I have seen in some time.....OUTSTANDING!!!
    Thank's for posting these great shots.

9. Hard to believe I posted these close to six years ago. Still my favourite Hot Rod of all time.

10. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Great to see this thread again. Thanks Jimmy B

11. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

I love this thread. That t roadster with the belly tank nose is cool. It looks like it has a P-38 control yoke for a steering wheel.

12. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

Jimmy
    Very Kool .

13. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Its interesting to see the transition of the S&G roadster over the years.

That makes it difficult too pinpoint a specific time to replicate this and many race cars.

14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I agree. I like the look in it's 87B form. I'm finally starting my '26 build and it'll have that 3 spring set up. Not trying to copy any one car but if I was this is it.

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Almost 7 years now.
    Got to bring this back to the top in the interest of spreading the gospel. The Gospel according to Jimmy B.

So hard to choose just one, but I might have to agree with you. Once again, thanks for putting all these great history threads together for us Jimmy.

Have really enjoyed everything you've discovered about this car. Thanks also to Curt & Teri Giovanine for their contributions.

Cool to know this is Teri's writing on this iconic pic:

[​IMG]

Is this colorized version ^^^ accurate?