Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs...Early Paso

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R&C RON, Nov 1, 2012.

1. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

is it true that it was the Fire Chief (a woman) who ended the original show and then she ended up getting caught up in some sex scandal?

2. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

I remember going to that first show out at what is Sherwood park not the park in the center of town. If my recollection is right they also had a James Dean memorial run that weekend I think that was a different group though they were
    all in the old bathtub Porsch's. Sad part is at the time I was most impressed with a red MGB at the show, just out of school not knowing anything about real cars.

3. VonKool13

VonKool13

Awesome pics. Like most have said, I sure do miss Paso. SM is cool in it's own way, but Paso made you want to hangout all weekend, SM not so much.....

4. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

She was the police chief, as mentioned before the yuppy's and their wine & money were the real reason the show left town, the chief wanted the promoters to pay a large amount
    for additional security for the week end something like $45,000 the finger got pointed at her
    but I can't imagine that she came up with that all on her own. She has left office a while back being accused of harrasment the city paid her $ 250,000 to take a early retirement
    and swept the hole mess under the rug.

5. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

I remember going to that first show out at what is Sherwood park not the park in the center of town. If my recollection is right they also had a James Dean memorial run that weekend I think that was a different group though they were
    all in the old bathtub Porsch's. Sad part is at the time I was most impressed with a red MGB at the show, just out of school not knowing anything about real cars.

6. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Ya' know the S.M. show is getting closer and closer to be like the old Paso show.

7. tinguy

tinguy

hi bill and bob, i may be old, but i'm also getting slow and easily distracted! i think! never missed a paso or s. maria show. lots of great memories and friends. wck will not be back to paso... we boycott any show here that has anything to do with the city. s.maria is ok. never will be paso. fun anyway!!! i can tell you that the corrupt paso government was the real cause of the loss. i won't discuss here. i know people involved and i have lived here for 40 plus years. fun to see old photos. by the way bob ,your getting old too!! see ya!! tinguy paul bragg

8. R&C RON

R&C RON

I started this thread to celebrate the great cars and people that have been part of this great show.It has been a part of my life since the first one, I have attended all of them.Like everything in life, nothing stays the same.The Politics that affected the show have been hashed over many times ,but that doesn't change all the great memories.Since leaving Paso, a lot of people have worked very hard to make Santa Maria a good show, and I think they are succeeding!
    I have many wonderful memories of Paso Robles and I continue to make more in Santa Maria.I have more photos i would like to post , if people will just enjoy them for what they are.
    Ron

9. Skirv

Skirv

Please post more photos. I'd really appreciate it.

10. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Thank you Ron for this thread,
    I would also like to see it stay on track as an early remembrance of Paso.

11. R&C RON

R&C RON

O.K. , Lets get back to the memories......1985 Sherwood Park

[​IMG]
    Gas'in up in San Ardo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. slammed

slammed

Anyone from that early Paso era have photos of their own to share?

13. awesome! Thanks for the additional photos.

Let's keep this about the cars, not the politics of the show itself...yes, everyone knows SM sucks compared to PASO...

Any more pics?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  14. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Santa Maria show does not suck..., and yes, Paso ruled.
    But, that subject is for another thread, not this thread.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

R&C Ron - Thanks for pics.

16. That yellow hammered-flamed Merc. Way too much of a chop. You have to be a smart enough bodyman.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  17. The plaques that the legends are holding featured the El Matador. The ticket stub features the Ford coupe built by Wilhelm.

18. twochops

twochops

Attached Files:

19. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

At any of these early shows, did anyone ever meet or talk to Joe Whilhelm?
    His kustom designs may not have made everyone's naughty parts tingle, but I'm told his metalwork was top drawer! The '36 Ford, '55Jaguar & the '57 Chrysler he did sure come to mind!

A government by the people, for the people " my ass!

20. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Loving the original photos, thanks! Keep them coming.

The same old, beyond tiring at this point 'Paso was so great and SM will never be as good' BS, not so much. Please save it for a cry baby thread, not this one.

21. Car was called the "Pink Flamingo" it was originally built by Dick Dean. Car ended up in Regina, Saskatchewan not long ago and was being sold for next to nothing. Car hit Stateside after that again for a little bit then went over to the U.K. where I am told it is currently in a museum.

22. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

We started travelling to Paso in 96 and kept going till 99
    Saw amazing customs, met the legends of Customising and made great friends with some of the people there

Hope to get to Santa Maria one day

[​IMG]

23. Thank you Paul for your continued support.
    It's the dedicated people like you that make a show what it is and what it will be for years to come.
    Thank You all for the past, present and future Memories.

24. R&C RON

R&C RON

Each year an Iconic Custom was chosen for the show Dash plaques , Window cards , Awards etc. 1984 was the Cushenberry El Matador , 1985 the Wilhelm Mark Mist.

25. R&C RON

R&C RON

Movin on to 1986 , more photos from the Sherwood Park days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Skirv

Skirv

Superb photos. Thanks again R&C RON for the customs!

27. Thanks,and yes, I stand corrected, It was Dick Dean mentioned on the
    For Sale sign, not Gene Winfield.
    Wish I had taken a picture of the sign board.

You know, it's really pretty awesome tracking the history and watching the future of these cars!

28. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440501

Here is a thread I started on in in 2010 and Rikster posted some 1989 Paso Robles photos of it...

29. poorboy

poorboy

awesome thanks for sharing

30. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

This thread gives me a bittersweet feeling. Very interesting photos and history here.