Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Brake issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daves 48 Special, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Daves 48 Special

Daves 48 Special

Got a 48 Plymouth with a camaro clip under it adding brake booster to the car anyone tell me what is the correct rod travel for the brake booster that goes into master .
    Brake booster and master is from a 78 ford mustang 2 .
    The issue is can't get a hard pedal thinking rod isn't traveling far enough into master cylinder .
    Everything is new through brake system if that helps

2. joee

joee

sounds like you;ve still got air in the lines.....did you bleed the new mc ?

3. Daves 48 Special

Daves 48 Special

Did bressure bleed even gravity bleed still no stiff ness on pedal

4. Daves 48 Special

Daves 48 Special

Thinking the rod travel is off it only travels 1/2 in past booster shouldnt it be aleast 11/2 to 2"

5. Daves 48 Special

Daves 48 Special

Anyone have any ideas help please

6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your pedal travel/ratio is suspect. With no vacuum assist, the pedal should be able to full stroke the master before bottoming out on the floor or firewall.
    The clearance between the master primary piston and the booster push rod should be .040", checked with about 20"HG in the booster.
    Keep in mind the Mustang 11 master has a 15/16" bore, and will need more pedal travel than larger bores. :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  7. JZACK

JZACK

was the matster bench bled before you hooked up your lines?

8. Daves 48 Special

Daves 48 Special

Bob thanks I'll check the travel again with nothing connected I should be able to check rod travel by hand and adjust my rod pedal according correct

9. Daves 48 Special

Daves 48 Special

It was bled on bench

10. I don't know exactly, but 1/2" isn't anywhere near enough.

11. Daves 48 Special

Daves 48 Special

That's my thoughts .

12. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Good info. A 15/16" mc bore MC needs at least a 1" stroke in my experience, especially if you're running the common large piston GM calipers. I have used the large GM calipers with a 7/8" MC bore, but it had a 1.1" stroke available. The larger the caliper bores the more fluid (stroke) it takes to fill them when shoving the piston and pad against the rotor.

I would plug the outputs of the master cylinder and see if you get a hard pedal without much pedal travel. If not then you still have air in the master or it's no good. If you get a hard pedal with the outputs plugged, check the vacuum assist by pumping the pedal 10 times with the engine off and lightly hold the pedal down on the last stroke and start the engine. You will feel the pedal drop a bit if the booster is working.

You can check the booster to MC piston gap by putting clay on the MC piston and then bolt it to the booster. Remove the MC and check the clay depth.