Register now to get rid of these ads!

1958-59 Chevy Truck Steering Wheel Dish Depth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Oct 29, 2012.

1. What is the dish depth on a factory 1958-59 Chevy Truck steering wheel?

2. I've got a 59 Olds steering wheel I want to use. I need to know if I have to shorten the steering column. Its going into a 59 Apache with the stock column.

3. 5559

from tn

chevys had shorter columns starting in 57.I havent run an olds wheel but a 59-60 impala wheel fits nice-also 70s camaro wheels have a good dish.Maybe if you can measure the dish on one of these wheels you can tell if the olds wheel will fit

4. The splines fit, so I'm in the clear. Only issue now is the length of the steering wheel from the column. The dish depth on the Olds' wheel is 9 inches. I don't have the column on the truck, but I think I might have to shorten it or learn to steer with my teeth. :D

5. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Should be about 3-4" of dish for the stock wheel. The depth of the steering wheels aren't really set in stone, lots of years had different dishes and can be swapped out and used just fine on other years, the difference on most ends up being pretty negligible, except in the case of the olds wheel.

6. jaaricp

jaaricp

Scotch, are you wanting to know the measurement from wheel to bottom? I can measure my wheel tonight and repost.

Joel

7. slim sammy

slim sammy

I have a 62 impalla wheel on mine. Probably not as much depth as the one your talking about, and it's in my gut :) ...but then my gut may be the issue:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

8. Yes sir. That's what I'm looking for.

:D Hahaha. I know what you mean. I'm still loosing mine.

9. jaaricp

jaaricp

Scotch, overall from bottom to face is 5 1/2". top of spline where horn contact is to face is 3 3/4". Hope this helps

Joel

10. Very interesting.... That means only a little over three inches of difference. I'm going to have to wait until I get a bench seat in the truck and the column mounted before I can see if my steering wheel will work. Thank you for measuring that for me.

11. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Just give me the 59 Olds wheel...and that will take care of that problem

12. Hahahaha. Shit man, we're in the same city. I've got two. Which one you want? :D

13. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I laid a '58 Olds wheel on my stock '55 chevy pickup column and it was all up in my chin. '58 Olds wheel should be very similar depth as '59. '55 chevy chevy pickup column should be very similar length as '58-'59 chevy pickup column.

And the splined center of the Olds wheel is quite a bit larger than the chevy splined column.

You would want to section the steering column and shaft and weld on an Olds splined shaft end.

I think I remember close to 8" needing to come out of the column.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012