Register now to get rid of these ads!

C4 Tranny Column Shift Possible ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SoloRidr72, Oct 30, 2012.

1. SoloRidr72

SoloRidr72

Hey Everyone , just got my 51 Sedan and loving the thing . Im looking at updating and modernizing for reliability . Guys at the Local Speed Shop just grin and laugh when i say i have the Flathead 8 in it now. it runs strong , yet slow have only a 2bbl on it right now and run it about 80 miles a day for work . Yes plans are to change it up for the 302 . Maybe i am Jumping the gun with this question since i havent gotten the new engine & tranny yet but has anyone ever done an Engine tranny Swap and kept the shifting on the column ? Is this even possible ? I like the Look of this and the thought of not cutting the floorboard is very appealing .

2. brad chevy

brad chevy

The original flathead gets you back and forth fine,why change it. Any thing is possible with the keeping the column ship,just a little of fabrication and fitting.

3. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

4. SoloRidr72

SoloRidr72

@ Brad , Youre Right if it runs why change it . Im planning on running it till atleast Feb then will look at swapping it out .

@jeff thanks for the link that is great

5. In my 53 I just used the 2nd and 3rd rod on the column and hooked to the tranny. Really simple

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Solo...
    IF and when you change engine/trans, if it is a selector you are curious about, (that matches the "Park, Reverse, Neutral, D2, D1, and Low"...and is a slim column, without all the beer-barrel GM bulk about it...) Select one from a '62-'63 Galaxie. (Fairlane would 'do', but Galaxie has better bushings inside, and will slide down your steering shaft to the right height. Simply graft the shorter Galaxie tube to your sawed-off '51 lower.
    The shifter geometry will be correct, also: just make sure your shift shaft on your tranny is from a column shifter, not a floor shifter: if so, just change the lower lever...

7. EdselRich

EdselRich

Limeworks has a nice kit that replaces the stock 3 on the tree with a auto shift lever. Hopefully will get mine this weekend :D

8. SoloRidr72

SoloRidr72

Thanks Edsel , just looked it up from a link someone else gave me here too .... looks like just the thing i am wanting . What part of the Desert You From ?

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have done this deal on a couple of early Fords, but not a shoebox per se. I usually pick out the arm that moves when the stick is pulled to you, build a linkage from rod stock and heim joints to the trans. Pretty simple deal. Now the thing with C/4 and AOD trans is that they come in two different configurations, either with the shift arm pointed up (Floor shift applications) or pointed down for column shift. A trans with it pointed down will be lots easier to work with, although it can be changed either way.

10. EdselRich

EdselRich

Victorville / hesperia area