Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ok, so what does "AV8" mean?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scibjenkins, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Nope, I would say that I am superior but the truth is that it is easy to follow for anyone who ever dropped acid.

The deal is that I am not real big on hero worship and I have known a few of the real heros over the years and they are smart enough to not be real impressed with themselves or those who worship them either. That is the basic in the nut shell of what I was saying, well that and to say that I never bad mouthed anyone.

2. Forced 382

Forced 382
    BANNED

my thoughta exactly!:D

3. flathead A

flathead A
    from michigan

You know, I get really tired of that question.It is painted,I added a satin agent
    to the paint.I've had enough cars in the past and got tired of waxing(wax on wax off,I love watching guys come to shows and spend hours just getting the dust off their car). This is a TRADITIONAL HOT ROD, AN AV8,its not a street rod,that doesn't mean you can't paint your AV8 with a high gloss paint,I just preferred not to.

4. Sounds like you did paint it, looks good to me. ;) :cool:

But just to not be out of the loop when are you going to paint it. :D:D

5. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

"Cars always look good in primer because they still have potential." - Big Daddy

My '47 is "satin" black. It really bothers me too when people ask the paint question. But I was just wondering. Shiny paint looks good too! I personally love a model A all shiny black!!!

6. Paint is a personal decision always has been always will be. Rust on the other hand is not it is just a personality flaw. ;)

7. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Well, literally you sure have made up for that now... cheezuz... you sure can talk... :D

Now go build a hot rod! :D

8. Yep but no one even tried to answer my question about an Ardun headed flathead, I mean it is a flathead at its core but it is a valve in head engine. I guess it sounded like a loaded question but it was just a question after all.

Well in my humble opinion the Ardun headed block is no longer a L headed engine, therefore no longer a Flathead, once you put valve covers on it, forget it now you fucked up the deal. Has been that way for me since 1958 and damn if im gonna change now. While almost every kind of contraption has been added to Henrys Bent Eight there is still only one true semblence of the Flathead, valves in block, lousy breathing, but truly enjoyable torqy engine, and a sound that is truly music to your ears at full song.............<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

9. Just jousting with windmills here. :D

I am actually down to one about every year and a half, I used to get way more done than that, but now I'm slow. ;)

Don't you try to fool me with good common sense. :D:D

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  10. Mart

Mart

If I had an AV8 with a flatty and swapped in a Ardun equipped flatty, I'd still call it an AV8.

But what do I know, I've been wrong before. ;)

(Many times)

Don't forget that Fords 32 and up offerings were called Ford V8s. So in the 30's when A's started having Ford V8's fitted, then it was an A-V8, and it would have been flatty or nothing.

The Ardun/Chevy/other V8 question wasn't being asked in the 30's, it is a non - question. An A-V8 is an A with a flatheadV8.

All the above based on my own thoughts, not trying to imply I was there or anything.

Mart.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  11. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Yep, he knows everything and would debase the schitt out of you too. Whuttaguy!

I think the mags of the 70's, 80's and 90's misinformed me as to what an A/V-8 is. I thought it was a V-8 chassis (1932) with an A body. Fuggit, that's what makes me happy and I'm happy to be a revisionist.

12. I liked germ or maybe I like Germ I haven't heard that is is departed yet. he could debase you and make you like it. Rare talent among those that real men posses.

I think to a point the AV8 morphed, some changes were acceptable and others were changes like, " hey I am building an AV8." "Yea right"

I am not a purest by any means so what I am saying should be taken with a grain of salt, but while I don't have a problem with the deuce chassis I would probably be one of those "yea right" people if a small journal small block or even a caddy or olds or other valve in head engine was brought into the equation. The Deuce chassis at least in my mind is a logical progression for a 30s or even a 50s style AV8. Maybe it is an all Ford thing.

Granted I was not there in the '30s and only vaguely remember the '50s, but I have talked to a couple of Old Timers who were there and have faith that they were probably not pushing my leg.

Well maybe I should take a leave of abscence I have domestic chores to do, sometimes I feel like June Cleaver. :eek:

13. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

[​IMG]

I didn't read all of the posts, but to the quote above I would have to say "HUH?"

A REAL A-V8 still retains the majority of the stock Model A parts. Such as the stock Model A frame, Model A rear axle, Model A torque tube, Model A front axle, Model A SPINDLES, Model A shocks, Model A wishbone, stock fuel tank...

I built the car above. It's a late 40's period A-V8. You would be hard pressed to make it more of an A-V8 than it already is ...like put the stock grille shell, brakes, steering wheel and headlights back on??? Then it's an A-V8?

I cannot wrap my mind around how hyd brakes, wide fives, multi carbs and aluminum heads discredit a car from being an A-V8.

Maybe I'm just not getting what you mean by 2nd generation. I'll go back and read the entire thead when I get a chance...

14. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Yes! my favorite thread popped back up. I really don't see what there is to discuss though, I allready told all you'z what it means!

We need more pics

15. That first and second gen stuff is camaro speak. :rolleyes:

We have a lot of people building cars that could be placed on a time line for sure. Style parts used and ect all determine what era the car would have been built. Obviously an AV8 that has edelbrock script heads and a crierts (sp) intake on a 8BA cannot be considered a '30s era AV8. But one with a 21 stud and Evans block lettered heads and intake certainly could.

I think that by the later '50s the AV8 was well on its way out. That is not to say that someone didn't build one, just that the popularity was no longer there.

By the way loudpeddle, that is a nice car and if someone didn't call it an AV8 I don't think that I would loose any sleep over it. Hell let eat worms if they can't take a joke.

Where did you find those heads by the way? Those are heads and not covers right?

16. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

What am I the only one here who gadgeee--ated the third grade??..... Everyone knows that A-V8 is just fancy tamato juice!!....LOL

17. Elrod

Elrod

Those are Thickstun covers over flathead heads. I read in a book that their original intent was to keep spark plugs dry in a watercraft situation, but hotrodders liked them also and they were seen on the street. Originals are Cool and somewhat rare. There are repops out there that don't fit so well.

Oh, and has anyone figured out what an A-V8 is yet?

18. Hmmmn an A-V8, is that some sort of a gramatical error, wouldn't it be a V-8 or an 8?

I think it is one of those questions that you either get it or ya don't.

Thanks for the info on the heads/head covers. I really do like the look of them.

19. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

If memory serves correctly I think loud pedal made those flathead covers, As well as many other really cool parts on that roadster....He has a tech thread on casting your own parts somewhere on here.

20. Doug B

Doug B

OK, I just read this whole thread,and admittedly,I am not a hard core,old school hot rod guy....I hang out here to learn from you guys.And since it's Saturday,and I am just relaxing,this thread prompted a daydream....not a historical representation...just a daydream...
    On the very first day that 1932 Fords with v8s are available at the local Ford dealership, a guy buys one.(you can imagine it's a 3 window). He drives out the driveway and heads for home.With this new found horsepower,he gets on it a little too much,and about 3 miles from the dealership,he puts it in the ditch,rolls it twice and lands on the wheels.The first guy to happen upon the scene is a guy who does mechanical repair work on cars in his barn out behind his house.He's driving a '30 coupe. He helps the '32 owner out of the car,and they survey the damage. Upon seeing the flatty,the mechanic offers the guy $50 for the wreck and a ride home.Deuce owner accepts.Mechanic drags the '32 back to the barn,and his nieghbor comes over to see whats up.They start immediatly,and the next morning.....well,you know...
    At least thats the way I like to think it happened;)

21. Mart

Mart

Yes, yes, that's how it happened. Definitely. It's on the internet, now, too, so it MUST be true!

;)

22. And if it aint I'll always think it should have been.

The story may be close to the truth if not the truth. I knew a guy once (he died in January of '03) that got a Buick 8 out of a brand new wrecked Buick in '54, and put it into a low mile '41 Willys that was parked in the junk behind a Studebaker dealership. That was how things were done before the day of the crate motor when wnyone with a check book or credit could be a hot rodder.

I didn't read about it on the internet so that may not have been true at all.

23. Well Beaner, I just read your story on the internet so now it's true. It is amazing that such a seemingly simple question can warrant 150 + responses.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  24. buick320a

buick320a
    from indiana

Damn Shame

25. RM-Special

RM-Special

Here is a definitive AV8 photo courtesy of the motor life blog.
    Cheers RM
    [​IMG]

26. grazy

grazy

I thought Hot Rodders were Outlaws who didnt follow the rules. This thread is trying to take a generic term used to describe a Hot Rod and get a correct definition or interpretation of it. People listen the old timers will tell you if its period correct or not or if it fits the time line or not . When you look at a well done car it will scream Hot Rod no one has to ask what it is. But some people think they need to define what it is with one word .It cant be done because everyones opinion of what a Hot Rod is is different.Dont try to write a rule book on the laws of Hot Rodding because we wont follow them. All rules and laws are gray areas subject to interpretation any how .This is just my opinion but a litttle kid on a bicycle said it best with "COOL" but everyone has an opinion of what that is too.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  27. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

It's funny how a guy pops up on a Site DEDICATED to the Traditional Hotrod and claims that there are no rules. We are talking about Hotrod history here, and history has rules. The definitions are (were) there even though YOU can't (or won't) see them.

A-V8 is NOT a generic term.

28. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

^^^^^^^ was gonna say the same...

Now kill this thread...:D

29. grazy

grazy

I would think A V-8 is pretty much self explanitory but 10 pages later here we are. I have an awfully large library of Hot Rod history books and catch hell over the word generic ? All my opinion stated was everybodyhas in there minds eye an idea of what a prewar A V-8 is . As for Tradition I have seen 5-speeds ,disc brakes,Weld Wheels ,radial tires, rat rods ,even some heaven forbid billet on this traditional web sight. Now lets start some debate over what everybodys opinion of what,Fast, Loud,New,Old Expensive, Rare,Cool and Traditional is. Again if I stepped on any toes I apoligize for my uneducated opinion of the subject.

30. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Allright.....so whats an "A-bone" ?